Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 91 na for commuting around when a montyh late the engine blew... I was thinking of an engine swap with a japanese 91 turbo. just curious what else i will need and how much labor should be... i got a qoute on the engine of 1200 and 435 for install from a shop. In addition if anyone knows of a good mechanic to do this swap in San Diego that would be great.... thanks for any forthcoming info

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
HOLY CRAP that is the cheapest price I have ever seen on labor and the price of the engine. What shop is this? I bought my clip from ARD Performance down by you... it's in the Chula Vista/SD area. That price seems WAY to low for both.

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Doesn't the 91 come with 1.6L 4A-GE? The 4A don't really got a turbo engine. If its the 3S-GTE, you'll need lots of work to get it in. Beside you'll need ECU, tranny and full wiring harness. The shop might just quote a direct swap ie same engine kinda swap.
More info like what the engine is would be helpful.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Wow this thread just went all over the place...

Lets see if I can put this all together...

No it's not a 4AGE... 4age's came in the MKI's. The shop may be giving you a price for a motor and the swap of the motor. You need the entire motor, tranny, ecu, wiring harness swapped... so make sure they quoted you the right price. Not to mention you will need to use different motor mounts, intake, exhaust, you need an intercooler, air flow meter, different coil, igniter, axles, ignition wires (they should be on there still.. but who knows)... and any other random stuff that is different. Call the shop back and ask them if it is $1200 for the clip... or just for the motor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts