Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm considering purchasing a MKII MR2 Turbo next summer, and just want to get a few concerns cleared up. The MR2 is obviously going to handle great, which is why I want it. I want something much better for autocross than my plowing Camry. My big question here is about that whole severe oversteer issue that I've read about. When you lift mid-corner and the weight shifts forward, therefore the back end will have less traction and let loose, correct? Is there any way to make this less drastic? I was thinking a front sway bar, but is there anything else that would help other than changing to the 93+ rear suspension (I plan to buy a 91 or 92)? I really want this car, but I also don't want to die because I don't know how to control it. Obviously going from FF to MR is going to be a big change, but hopefully I'll get it out to a couple autocrosses before I discover her emergency situation characteristics on the street. I'm going to be a freshman in college this fall, so I have no need for a car until next spring/summer, so I'm not concerned about winter driving at all and I hardly ever carry other people or big things in my car, so not worried about space either. BTW, I have searched, and I have read the FAQ, although maybe not very well.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I don't think oversteer should be an issue at all. The weight shift will not be near as noticable as in a FF car. Going from a Camry to a MR2 will def. be a change though. Even me going from my Supra to my 2 gets kinda strange. On my stock '91 NA suspension.... I have never had any problems loosing traction around corners.

If you plan on autocrossing you might want an NA for the immidiate power. As for the suspension.... you are gonna be better off just getting aftermarket suspension (price and performance wise) than switching to a 93+ setup.... unless MAYBE you get a nice set used.

You will be able to learn the car on the street pretty well.... it lets you know pretty fast where you can and can't push it. After you spin it a couple of times.... you will have it down :D.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ishcoleobo said:
If you plan on autocrossing you might want an NA for the immidiate power. As for the suspension.... you are gonna be better off just getting aftermarket suspension (price and performance wise) than switching to a 93+ setup.... unless MAYBE you get a nice set used.
NA does make sense for immediate power, but I just can't do that. I know I would kick myself for it later. As for suspension, I was thinking about the H&R Coilovers, they're not too expensive and reviews are good. But this is getting way ahead of things, I need to concentrate on getting money, and then actually getting the car.

BTW, what kind of exhaust do you have? That looks sweet, stock looking, yet still somewhat flashy, I love it :thumbup:

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I've got the Greddy SP.... looks nice.... and is only a little bit louder than stock :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts