Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
really??? no mr2s in 9 seconds yet??? im suprised it hasnt been reached yet. but anyways

so what are the rules???
what can be used and cannot be used?
does it have to be street legal?
what type of gas can be used?
is the use of NO2 allowed?
racing slicks or drag radials?
unibody of tube chassis?

or is it just no-holds-bars anything goes?

man though... why is the mr2 not in the 9 yet? i mean they got a bunch of honda b-series engines in the 7's and 8's.
(7.96 for tube chassis) (8.18 for the unibody class) and those are fwd car. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,014 Posts
think again why the honda b-series is so highly regarded in the import drag scene.....there is so much after market support out there for hondas....

now welcome to the realm of mr2s....ask urself....how many civics do u see on a daily basis.....and then how many mr2s do u see??.....

·
Premium Member
96 Camry Coupe
1,300 Posts
JekylandHyde said:
for getting to 2.2 liters, the best route to go is to use the 5SFE block along with the 3SGTE head.
That is what Mike Colon is running in his street driven low 10 sec car ... that should be 9s by the end of the summer.
The race might be over sooner that we think.

·
Premium Member
96 Camry Coupe
1,300 Posts
mR2dRagsTer said:
you know they do have a 7 sec solara in the unibody class. and its well sponsed by streetglow. not many solara racers either. that solara tho is quick... and one of the most consistant car in its class
Yes, but do you still consider it a Solara when it has a full tube frame and is powered by a 2JZ?

I call it a Supra with fiberglass surgery and a brand new diet plan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
maybe your looking in the wrong place. they didnt make mr2s much over here, and when they did, they sure as hell werent cheap, like a honda. now if you wanna talk about 9s, why dont you go over to japan and find out? i can tell you now, there are an assload of mr2s in the 9s and 8s. if i can find one of my old carboy mags, i could scan the mr2 drag day results. this was almost 5 yrs ago...before i heard of any civics runnin 7s. hell, cheezefrog wasnt even in the 10s yet. but the main reason to me is...the mr2 is made for the circuits...so thats where you see them...to make a straight drag car out of it is dumb...almost as dumb as takin a grocery getter and makin it a drag car

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Whats with all the Honda praise :dunno:

If we wanted lessons on Honda's.... we wouldn't be here. I think it was said in a earlier thread that there are mr2's in the 9's.... just none in America. If I wanted a drag car, I'd buy a muscle car (although I despise domestics).... if I wanted a nice track car, i'd get a small mr that would handle and whip around real nice.... if I wanted 40mpg and a car I could cruise my grandma around in, I'd get a Civic.

I have this oh so wonderful feeling knowing that I can have a nice mellow drive to work..... and in the same car..... hit the twisties on the way home. I don't have to listen to an obnoxoius fart can, put huge decals on my car and pipe this shit out of it to turn some heads. I'm not bashing Honda's.... my brother has an NSX.... which is awesome.... and I have seen some pretty insane S2K's.... but if you ARE going to mod a Honda.... get something worthy of driving. Iv'e driven a modded integra.... before his NSX my brother had an LS VTEC Integra with a completely built motor.... he dropped about $12k into and on the engine.... and it was pretty quick. First off... that thing didn't go anywhere 'til you hit about 60mph..... second.... when you came to a corner.... you better lock up those damn brakes.... cause otherwise you would be around a pole... and ya... it had suspension.

My thoughts are that you haven't even touched an MR2.... and you've already got these thoughts in your head.... you better do some reading. If you want a 9sec track car.... don't waste a perfectly good mr2.... go destroy a civic.

BTW: If you plan on getting an MR2.... forget about 90% of what you know about driving and working on Hondas.... cause it's all gonna change.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to tell you the truth, there is a mr2 vs integra thread just around the bend. so if you want to help with my initial question please do, ill be happy to hear you opinion. but if you have beef with the hondas please take it to the other thread and not post in this one unless you have useful information that will help me and other readers to benefit and learn.

because bashing on honda will not make any mr2 any faster. plus its futile to compare two different cars from two different classes that both have their own strengths and weaknesses.

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
You are the one comparing them....

HondaDriver: "i mean they got a bunch of honda b-series engines in the 7's and 8's.
(7.96 for tube chassis) (8.18 for the unibody class) and those are fwd car. "

EDIT: I did give you advise..... don't waste an MR2. Maybe you can put some VVTi stickers on your teg to make you feel better :(.

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Umm.... be stupid and waste the car by turning it into a 1/4 mile car.

Do the typical honda thing.... pull all the seats, dash, door panels, put carbon fiber (no offense dennis... i love your 2 :)) EVERYWHERE you can, when you think you have too much CF.... put MORE. Get an extremly loud exhaust.... strap a decent turbo on it.... build the entire engine... top end and bottom.... get an EMS.... and have it tuned by someone that will let it run ONE nice run.... and then on the second blow the engine. You will need a boost controller and to disable stock fuel cut... Don't forget as many gauges as possible. And most important of all..... the largest wing you can find..... 3 layers high if possible. Maybe even one on the front hood.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ishcoleobo said:
Umm.... be stupid and waste the car by turning it into a 1/4 mile car.
what else is a car good for... driving to the store. there rally isnt too many other racing styles... drift, autox, drag, rally etc...

c'mon now im still trying to learn about DRAG mr2 nothing else... post some useful info please, someone...

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I already did....

-----------------------------
Do the typical honda thing.... pull all the seats, dash, door panels, put carbon fiber (no offense dennis... i love your 2 ) EVERYWHERE you can, when you think you have too much CF.... put MORE. Get an extremly loud exhaust.... strap a decent turbo on it.... build the entire engine... top end and bottom.... get an EMS.... and have it tuned by someone that will let it run ONE nice run.... and then on the second blow the engine. You will need a boost controller and to disable stock fuel cut... Don't forget as many gauges as possible. And most important of all..... the largest wing you can find..... 3 layers high if possible. Maybe even one on the front hood.
--------------------------------

You do just what you would do to any other car.... its the same process.

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Better suspension will help you off the line.... some slicks.... get a hardtop..... t-tops aren't as stiff. Hardtop turbos are hard to find.... it's probably easier to find a NA and swap it if you do want a hard top.

BTW: MKI's are lighter... you might wanna start there. Maybe a MK1.5.... or something crazy and original.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
turbo wise... what size is best for a 10 sec car. JekylandHyde is running a t3t4 which is about a medium size turbo which gets him into 11's. even tho 11sec to 9 sec is a big leap, what size do you suggest. i was thinking alone the lines of a t70 what do u think?

·
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Well.... bigger turbo is going to spool slower... therefore take a bit longer to get going.... I dunno if that's what you want for a 1/4 mile. If you sprayed... I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to get into 10's / 9's.

BTW: What city in Cali. are you in? You should come out to the meet if you're close.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.