Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1992 MR2 NA
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:dj:
Simple question. Has anyone driven an Acura NSX? Is it worth the money or is the MR2 Turbo better? I am just curious. Comments please.....

·
Rockin the STi
MR2 Turbo
1,557 Posts
Russ' brother had, or still has one.

He'll post in here eventually I'd think. Do a search though, I believe we have discussed this before.

·
Boosting 15 psi :)
1991 MR2 (jap turbo)
507 Posts
Yes Russ has talked about this before... Something about he and his brother on a track, the NSX beat up on the 2 in the twisties, but Russ' 2 was a bit quicker in the straights from what i remember (his MR2 is not stock btw)

·
Registered
91 Turbo Mr2
165 Posts
my friends dad has a newer nsx that is supercharged...he's taken it out and driven it but ive never seen him get on it but id say itd rape alot of our cars

·
jdm 2nd gen ftw!
mr2 turbo
265 Posts
eh they are both very good cars, it is really what you would like more/ how much money you want to spend :) and what type of motor you would like to be upgrading a honda or a toyota either way mid engine FTW

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
I've raced my brothers NSX.... good times. He can't take me in the straits.... but takes me in the corners. I was on stock suspension at the time.... so we'll have to do it again. Except this time he will be on 325's in the rear :eek::.... beastly widebody nsx. Pics coming soon :D

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
140 Posts
If you take the cars year for year this is what you find.

1991 MR2, 2.0L Turbo I4, 200hp 200tq, 14.5-14.7 stock 1/4 mile times.... Cost brand new $21,000

1991 NSX, 3.0L VTEC V6, 270hp 210tq, 14.1-14.4 stock 1/4 mile times..... Cost Brand New $87,000

So, its not very fast, and you can own 4 MR2's for the price of 1 NSX.... or you could have bought the MR2 to play with, and still had enough money to buy the brand new 2006 Z06 Vette with 550hp and 0-60 in 3.6 seconds.... 11.7 sec stock 1/4 miles.... the fastest American Car stock... And yes I know the Ford GT is fast, but it doesnt beat the vette and the Ford GT isnt mass Produced....

·
Registered
1988 MR2 S/C
30 Posts
Hey guys-

I have worked on and driven both an older NSX and a newer one, even though they are about the same as far as quickness. I was pretty impressed with them, they handle good for a car that size, and are very quick, especially when you get up there in RPMs. I find it hard to believe that they only run a 14.1-14.4 quarter mile stock, I would think a little better than that, because S2000s run 14.1 from the factory at around the same weight and with about 50 horsepower less. Overall, I would say an MR2 would have to be decently modded to take one. I know my one would not, but my DSM would kill one.

·
El Capytain
36 Posts
nepopolus said:
EWWW why are we talking about amarican cars on the side......
turbo my replacement for displacement
You can say what you want about American made cars, but even the most hardcore JDM nut can not argue that the c6 zo6 is a monster of a machine. Even with archaic valve train design, and a truck suspension, the c6 will devouer an mr2 in the twisties, and in a straight line. Given that the cost difference between an mr2, and a vette are such that you can't really compare the two...but regardless, it's still a beast.

·
Noob :-)
ST185 & MCV20
507 Posts
HighSpeedScene said:
You can say what you want about American made cars, but even the most hardcore JDM nut can not argue that the c6 zo6 is a monster of a machine. Even with archaic valve train design, and a truck suspension, the c6 will devouer an mr2 in the twisties, and in a straight line. Given that the cost difference between an mr2, and a vette are such that you can't really compare the two...but regardless, it's still a beast.
I think we are discussing MR2 and NSX. :confused:

·
Boosting 15 psi :)
1991 MR2 (jap turbo)
507 Posts
HighSpeedScene said:
Even with archaic valve train design, and a truck suspension, the c6 will devouer an mr2 in the twisties, and in a straight line.
:disappoin

Not only is this off topic, there are plenty of people that would disagree with this statement, and until you have the same person drive both cars under the exact same conditions, we wont know anything past a very general placement as to which car is "better" at what.

Take Hyde into consideration... even with all the work done to amounts to what? half the price of a ZO6, and will outperform it in every category.

·
92 MR2 Turbo
92 mr2 Turbo
162 Posts
And we get more MPG than a NSX or a Vette , Brad Bedell's MR2 has a V6 swap s/C and he gets 43.8* MPG:eek: .and he does the 1/4 at 12.69 122.20 MPH. NOt bad at all :naughty: .And he was the winner of the Utimate Street car challenge.

*(Information taken from the magazine Sport compact Car january 2005)

·
Registered
1992 MR2 NA
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
NSX Sighting

I went to the Guitar Center and saw an 1996 NSX all black. Really sweet looking. So, I parked beside it (to compare) and I still think the MR2 is a definitely a better looking sport car.

·
http://www.mr2.com
1994 MR2
43 Posts
Zero turbo said:
Brad Bedell's MR2 has a V6 swap s/C and he gets 43.8* MPG:eek:
I wouldn't take that 43.8 MPG as gospel. Sure, under controlled conditions, excessive drafting & coasting, filling the car up as full as you can possibly get it and stopping the refill at the first "click", then ya, 43.8 MPG is attainable for a designated run but it's not a consistently attainable number.

·
That Acura Guy
2,383 Posts
^ thas how all the mpg are recorded(by car companies). Drive like a granny and find out how much mpg you get.:lol:

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Yea.... Brad knew how to play the game.... which is exactly why he won the SCC contest. Smart guy + great car = win.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts