Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey man.. since you've already owned a 4AG-E powered car, i'm hoping you could help me out....

is it possible to run a CT26 turbo on a stock block bluetop without any major concerns? how much boost does a CT26 can give a bluetop without damaging it? what about the durability factor of the CT26, is it good? how long will it last me before a rebuild if i'm gonna be using the car for daily driving? is it rebuildable? what should me my main concern with the CT26? some guys are tellin me that stock toyota turbos are not good but some say it's good enough for the performance i want. i basically want to hit 140-150 whp + a much better torque, which is not gonna be hard considering the lack of torque of the bluetop. i was offered by a friend this CT26 for a good price and that's why i got to thinking about boosting. pls. help coz i know nothing about FI on 4AG-Es. many thanks in advance! :D

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
reliabilty issues will always surface when it comes to turbo'ing NA cars....without forged internals u should be able to run low boost...without proper fuel and engine management detonation becomes an issue.....the amount of money that u would put into a project like this...i think its prolly best for u and cheaper to run carbs....

stock ct-26 is a very reliable turbo....i had mine up until 100kms without any problems (swapped to a bigger turbo)....most should last to at least 150kms before u need to rebuild....

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
i almost considered custom building a turbo kit for my AE86 when i was building it up....but we were also concerned with how well the tranny would hold up for a car that was so old......cost became an issue and the most reliable compromise that i was gonna consider was running carbs.....but then i bought the mr2 and she became my winter beater.....:D

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MRQturbo said:
...i think its prolly best for u and cheaper to run carbs....

been there.. done that! :D

i was running dual 45 webers on my large port head on my very first starlet. the biggest problem for me was tuning. sudden change of weather in toronto doesn't suit my set-up properly. but man, i loved how it respond. very quick!

anyways, thanks for the comments. i might end up scrapping the idea of boosting the bluetop. i'll just save up for a 3SGTE! i'm in no hurry anyways... again thanks! ;)

·
I do NOT exist ...
167 Posts
what car is your 4AGE in? MR2? Corolla? Other? regardless, you could get the best of both worlds ... do Weber-based EFI system for it. if you still want to boost it after it's tuned, then you've laid a pretty solid foundation for some really awesome power!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts