Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Similar to the genius who's car blew up because it got wet, i had an MSD ignition coil put in and the very next day it rained my car would stall out and not start...i replaced it with a stock coil, replaced that one, then replaced it again, and it still doesnt run in the rain...perhaps the rocket scientists who put in the coil flucked up my wiring...i took it to a Toyota dealership and they wanted 650 beans to just take out my plugs, wires and distributor and K&N filter and replace them with Toyota brand wires...luckily for him i stopped short of spitting in his face, but needless to say i didnt let him lay a finger on my car...no mechanic has yet to figure out the problem, i even changed the ignition module and still nothing...what has seemed to work however, was me covering every wire in the car and every plug, cap & rotor, coil, etc. with plastic garbage bag...havent had the problem since i did that, but thats a quick fix...i need something more reliable...okay...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how would you recommend me using TOYOTA wires and admit to using the MSD ignition coil? Gee, you're car can do thr quarter mile in almost 10 seconds, must be all the TOYOTA stuff in your car...

Seriously speaking, Im not a car expert, but i'll never believe the problem stems from having non toyota wires and plugs

·
I love Cin
91 Turbo MR2
2,312 Posts
StuckInNeutral said:
how would you recommend me using TOYOTA wires and admit to using the MSD ignition coil?
The same way I did. Modify the OEM coil wire to fit onto the MSD coil.
The OEM wires are the best wires your gonna get.
http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/StoryTweakHorsepower.htm
If they are good enough for 1200 HP Celicas, they will be fine for your car.

StuckInNeutral said:
Gee, you're car can do thr quarter mile in almost 10 seconds, must be all the TOYOTA stuff in your car...
Gee, maybe I just do not bother wasting time and money changing parts Toyota built that do the job for high HP just fine ... still a 100% original engine, OEM BPV .... cap, rotor and wires.

StuckInNeutral said:
Seriously speaking, Im not a car expert, but i'll never believe the problem stems from having non toyota wires and plugs
1. "Genius" ~ Did I say this was the cause of your problem?
Look at your thread title. You asked if the MSD was "Safe for MR2"
I answered that I recommend using the Toyota cap/rotor/wires with the MSD coil.

2. "Rocket scientist" ~ did I say use Toyota plugs?
The last thing I would be using is the Iridiums that you have in there. Good luck with those.

3. Do as you wish, but if you give everyone attitude and smart ass replys .... who would want to offer you any help or assistance? I assure you I will not waste my time offering you any more insight.

Good luck running with a plastic garbage bags in your engine bay.
.... no wonder Toyota quote you $650 for the work. I would have quoted much higher to work on your car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sensitive this morning, are we? did i strike a nerve, take it easy...the sarcasm stems from the fact that i had originally asked WHY this is happening and WHAT i can do to fix it...you did the WHAT part, saying you'd only use TOYOTA brand stuff...WHY? well you answered that in your last post, and for that i thank you...next time dont be so tense, its just a car

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a guess but, it COULD be all that oil in your plug holes from the valve cover seals you so graciously don't want to replace. Fix it, don't put blame on another part.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it just started happening after the MSD coil, not a day before...plus it does it when it rains, is rain getting in the spark plugs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
It could be. There were times in the dsm community where people who had magnacore wires, were getting spark jump from the plug boot to the valve cover walls. The sparks going to travel the path of least resistance. Maybe the water is the path of least resistance. In that case plastic wrap around the wires would make sense in a way. Try doing what Jeff says and get new toyota plug wires. They might have better resistance to arching.
Also make sure it's dry down in there, any way for the spark to go out other than the plug it's going to try. They designed lips around the plug boots for a reason.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good lookin on the advice...but you know what strikes me as odd?

i spray the entire engine with a hose, and it runs fine...drive thru a lake, runs fine...when it rains, it decides to fuck up...forget toyota plugs and shit, maybe all it wants is an umbrella...or a bathing suit

·
Registered
86 Posts
Do you have your engine lid shroud? I never noticed till a few days ago I poped my lid after it rained and my engine was completely dry.... that shroud does its job, all the water is dumped near the intake/turbo??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no i guess not, but im buying a new engine lid anyway...really nice lookin...and expensive...for what it looks like and how it costs im guessing its a performance lid, which controls the amount of water getting into the engine...i hear that amount is zero...wow

1 - 11 of 11 Posts