Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

First post here. I have a 2006 Highlander v6. I have to drive on a lot of gravel roads lately and have been looking into mud flaps. I am having trouble researching the difference between mud flaps and splash guards. Many people use the terms interchangeably, but it appears they are different. I think splash guards are the molded pieces shown here, whereas flaps are just the flaps.

I have what appears to be splash guards, and I am unsure if buying mud flaps to compliment them is a good choice.

Do these serve the same purpose? Is one better than the other? Does it make sense to have both?

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,252 Posts
Hello there! I moved your thread to the Gen1 Highlander forum where you'll be more likely to get some advice.

·
Registered
99 RX300, 02 HL V6
290 Posts
Hello there! I moved your thread to the Gen1 Highlander forum where you'll be more likely to get some advice.
Hey, BMR...while looking at your post, I noticed your rides...on the last one, which was totaled, you mentioned you replaced the "HG's". I pondered this for several minutes, but could not come up with anything. What are they?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Mud Flap vs splash guard

Splash guards are intend to prevent splashing water on your side panels, they are general shorter and smaller. Doesn't do that good a job. Mud flaps can be installed closer to ground, protruding more to the outside, and they are flexible so that you can backup the car over a snow pile without breaking it. Mud flap are better on gravel road because they protect your under body from flinging gravels. My car comes with splash guards. After see the splash pattern on my door panels after a rain, I bought Rally Armor's Basic+ universal mud flap and install them over the splash guard. Some cutting and drilling is required because it doesn't come with hardware or fit specifically for the Highlander.

·
Registered
'18 HL Ltd, '19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
1,083 Posts
...you mentioned you replaced the "HG's". I pondered this for several minutes, but could not come up with anything. What are they?
Probably head gaskets.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
Then again, I have never had splash guards or mud flaps mounted on any of my off-road vehicles over the years and never had damage from rocks. Not even my Highlander, which IMO is the most off-roaded Highlander on planet Earth, has any damage from gravel, and there are places like graded and ungraded rock-strewn dirt roads out in the desert near China Lake that I fly down at 60 MPH, rounding corners, etc., and never a ding. If you want to worry about rocks, then it's the front end and all the rocks kicked up by cars and especially trucks that should be of concern IMO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts