Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Everyone,

I looked back to see if this was posted before and couldn't find anything. So 1st off sorry if it was and I just missed it or didn't go back far enough.

Got an 09 Taco with the stock big dumbo ear mud flaps. They provide great body protection, but already scraped them ( fronts ) a few times getting into driveways. Can't imagine this hunting season what the woods are going to do to them. So with that being said, where can I get ether some smaller rigid or flexible mud flaps that will give more than the stock ones? As you know the stock flaps are molded and secured in several places, so I am not sure how well they will hold up being secured on the fender. BTW I am not lifting the truck.

Tnx in Advance,
Taco Fun

·
Registered
389 Posts
My truck does the same thing. Everytime I go in and out of my driveway they hit. It's only a matter of time before they break. I heard they are very expensive to replace with the same stock flaps. I'll be trimming mine. Probably the easier and cheaper way to do it besides taking them off and flicking other vehicles (or my own) with rocks. maybe a good suggestion.

·
Registered
2006 Tacoma 4x4
152 Posts
best way is to trim them before they rip off, as mine have. i tried replacing them with generic ones and its a pain. trim them or remove, if your gonna remove them do it soon because they wear into the paint and leave a nice black line along the fenderflare.

·
mall crawler
1,527 Posts
I used mud flaps from a 2002 Tacoma. I had to trim the top of them to fit the shape of the fender well. Then I drilled holes in the mudflaps to lineup with the holes in fenderwell. They dont catch everything, but they are more flexible and not as large as the stock mudflaps. You can also buy mudflaps from a local autostore.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No i was NOT kidding or why else would I post the thread...... Thanks for the couple of ideas. That is at least a start......

·
Did somebody say snow?
231 Posts
I don't know if the rear flaps do it, but I saw a Tacoma that had the front mud flaps on and doing 70 mph the flap was bent completely back at 90 degrees along the rocker panel on the truck. I think Toyota needs to redesign the mud flap. These things seem to break and bend real easy under minor stress.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I used mud flaps from a 2002 Tacoma. I had to trim the top of them to fit the shape of the fender well. Then I drilled holes in the mudflaps to lineup with the holes in fenderwell. They dont catch everything, but they are more flexible and not as large as the stock mudflaps. You can also buy mudflaps from a local autostore.

i'm confused. you don't even have any front mud flaps. :confused:

·
Taco Lover
2007 Tacoma
54 Posts
Greetings Everyone,

I looked back to see if this was posted before and couldn't find anything. So 1st off sorry if it was and I just missed it or didn't go back far enough.

Got an 09 Taco with the stock big dumbo ear mud flaps. They provide great body protection, but already scraped them ( fronts ) a few times getting into driveways. Can't imagine this hunting season what the woods are going to do to them. So with that being said, where can I get ether some smaller rigid or flexible mud flaps that will give more than the stock ones? As you know the stock flaps are molded and secured in several places, so I am not sure how well they will hold up being secured on the fender. BTW I am not lifting the truck.

Tnx in Advance, Taco Fun
For less than $30 you can install an aftermarket set from PowerFlow. See my install/pics at:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2715937&postcount=8

Mine are holding up rather well - still feel solid when I grab them and give a good yank... ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Easy fix. Yes I had them all the way around HSRACER. The fronts were the ones dragging over a curb. Went to the local auto parts and got a 15.00 set. Stopped @ Toyota ( good thing I know the techs ) and got new push pins for free. They are 1.05/pc. if you have to buy them. Took the old ones off, rubbed out the rub line and installed the new ones. 30 min job.

Taco Fun

·
Pilot In Command
167 Posts
This is the most recent thread about the topic so I'd like to share the trimmed mud guard/flaps I did this evening. All you need is a sharpie and a dremmel (plugged into the outlet in the truck bed!) with a cutting head and sanding head. I put the pliers there for scale. Here's the results (cel pics):

·
Registered
06 AC Taco
236 Posts
^^^^
Veddy nice. I know the pliers are there for reference, but how much did you cut off, from the bottom of the flap, to where the horizontal cut is? This looks to be the perfect amount.

·
Pilot In Command
167 Posts
Probably 4-5 inches. The design of the 05+ taco mudflaps is poor in contrast to the first gen. They were simple bolt on, flexible, and good length. I can see how people tear these things off when wheelin.

·
Pilot In Command
167 Posts
Something just dawned on me. The 4x2 trucks have stubby flaps mounted with the same overfenders as the 4x4/prerunners from the pics on www.toyota.com.

Has anyone put the stubby ones on the front?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I trimmed mine with a razor knife (box cutter). Used the other flap as a template to get the outline of the bottom correct and simply traced around it and went at it very carefully with the knife. Hit it with a little sand paper to clean the edge, looks perfect. I forget how much I took off, maybe 3 inches or so.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts