Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2005 TRD Sport 4x4, I had one mud guard fall off while under warranty. It was replaced. Now the vehicle isn't under warranty and I have 2 more mud guards breaking off and "blowing in the wind" as I drive down the Interstate.

I don't mind replacing them once, but I don't want this to happen every few years. Is it just me or are others having the same problems? They are rigid, and this year I've gone through some snow that might have done the damage...

Any good aftermarket alternatives that somebody can recommend?

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,129 Posts
I keep watching mine. My truck's been parked outside in 100+ summer temps and down to single digits in the winter. I've had my truck since Dec 3, 2004 but have never had a problem with them...even when driving over the deep snow next to the driveway to pack it down giving me another parking space:D.

But I do wonder when the day will come that one breaks.:confused:

I haven't heard of any aftermarket flaps for these trucks, but the best advice so far has been to cut them shorter. If one of mine breaks, that's what I plan to do...but I want to see how many years it will go before breaking. I must be very lucky or else those that are breaking are in the minority. I know, those of you one here will say it's a majority, but just think about how many people join to report/ask about problems vs how many probably don't ever look at a forum about it. It would be interesting to have a poll asking how many have had the mudflaps break...and the results would only be realistic if you had a high percentage of the TN membership actually vote...cause otherwise most that vote would probably be those that had problems.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Knowing they were going to eventually break off anyway I removed mine the first day, along with the running boards, and sold them on Ebay for $132.50. Used that money to get in on the group buy of ScanGauge. So I look at it as I traded them for the SG and I am happy with the outcome. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a good cheap fix. Get yourself a drill bit and some 0.032 safety wire (lock wire). Drill holes on either side of the crack. Start at one end of the crack lace it like a shoe at the end twist it a couple times, cut it and bend it back over so you don't cut yourself later on down the road and DONE. I had that issue with mine braking...did that fix about 50K+ miles ago and still no issues. Make it as tight as possible and call it a day.

·
LVtaco05
157 Posts
I just went outside and check mine out and both rear ones are broken. They have been probably flapping in the air this whole time. I just went ahead and took them off. I had replaced the front ones as well and the passenger is broken as well now. Just take them off. my .02 cents

·
Old TN User
'05 Tacoma DC SR5
528 Posts
My front left one broke off. 05Moose; it's not the 100+ or single digit low temperatures. It's double digit negative temperatures that is hard on them. You should be Ok. :)

·
Premium Member
02 DubCab 4x4
3,009 Posts
one of my rears is cracked/broke. I'm gonna try the dealership thing and see if they'll replace under warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My left one cracked and i ripped it off because it was banging against the truck. The dealer is going to replace it under warranty. 07 with 26k miles.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My 05 had about 85,000 miles on it when i got it, mostly highway miles. I found out after looking at the rear flaps is that they have left an indention on the flare from top to bottom where it has sat against. So beware about that if you decide to leave your mud flaps on, its too late for mine, because when i take them off you can see a black line where they used to be.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Look at other tacos when on the freeway. All of our flaps are "blowing in the wind". After I saw that I trimmed my fronts about 3.5". They look better IMO. :Bruce:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts