Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone i just received my new b/p guards starting the install i asume you have to cut the front fender trim to install what did you all use to cut it with? don't want to mess up the paint thanks for your replys merv

·
Registered
99 Posts
For the 08 Highlander, using oem mud guards, no cutting is needed

What kind of mud guards did you get?

Front

Rear

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do you have the limited or sport i have the limited and there is a crome trim piece on the front fender i guess i have to cut about 2 1/2" it must only be on the limited should i trim the mud guard or the crome trim piece ???

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts
do you have the limited or sport i have the limited and there is a chrome trim piece on the front fender i guess i have to cut about 2 1/2" it must only be on the limited should i trim the mud guard or the crome trim piece ???
As my sig says.....

2008 Highlander Limited AWD, Silver, SmartKey, VSC/TRAK, Bluetooth, Remote Start, No Nav, Tow package with hitch, roof rack cross rails
No chrome piece on my Limited

Are you sure you are talking about a 2008 Highlander????

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where to get OEM muguards

I was thinking about getting mudguards and may be running boards for my blk 08 sport HL. As far as I know the OEM muguards are the easiest to install and fit perfectly. I am not sure where to get them from, I am sure they will be available @ the dealership but probably will cost more.

I saw these 2 website with reasonable prices. Any info or experiences will be appreciated.

http://www.trdparts4u.com/MC-DAFE-DF.aspx
http://www.toyotapart.com/product.asp?pID=434878&cID=124

thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
mud guards install

mervm,

any update on the install of your b/p mud guards.

please post instructions and pics when possible (i hope no cutting or trimming is necessary).
did you also have problems with the rear clips (?wrong size) as mentioned on another post.

thank you

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was thinking about getting mudguards and may be running boards for my blk 08 sport HL. As far as I know the OEM muguards are the easiest to install and fit perfectly. I am not sure where to get them from, I am sure they will be available @ the dealership but probably will cost more.

I saw these 2 website with reasonable prices. Any info or experiences will be appreciated.

http://www.trdparts4u.com/MC-DAFE-DF.aspx
http://www.toyotapart.com/product.asp?pID=434878&cID=124

thanks
I purchased mudguard from toyotapart.com had no problem with them everything fits well and no drilling required. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
the speed nuts are too small picked up some at lowes that i think will work,as for pic. i just joined photobucket so i will try to get pictures &info as soon as posible, the mud guards from trd are really a good color match as for the prementioned trim peice i have on my limited it is just a small crome strip guarding the top edge of the fender wells,but i don't see it on the pictures in the brochure. I just got the veh. second week of feb. so maybe the factory changed something-----m the speed nuts i got from lowes were a little too long so back to square one i put the original speed nuts in the vise found a screw about the same size with a hex head put a little candel wax on the threads and used a socket to drive it in to open the hole for the phillips head screws.ps i think the aformentioned trim was put on at the dealers to prevent door dings on the fenders hope this helps. the fronts were a little easier then the rears but i left the wheels on would have been easier with the wheels off.

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts
i think the aformentioned trim was put on at the dealers to prevent door dings on the fenders .
From the picture it looks like it is held on by adhesive and not screws.

If you don't like it you probably can remove it with a hair dryer. The same trick to remove emblems and such for those inclined.

You do have a one of a kind HL with it on though.

Don't know what is up with the spring clips but they definately don't work with the screws they ship with rear guards

·
Top End Kluger
9 Posts
definately a chrome trim on front, but not back? what's going on there?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looking to get mudguards for my '08 HL Ltd in Blizzard Pearl. Which is the best place to get the one with closest color matching, trdparts4u.com or toyotaparts.com or some other place?
Also, very important for me, how complicated is the installation (I suck big time at these things). Are these simple screw ons or will I need to cut/drill/etc.?
It will be great if someone has a soft copy of installation instructions which they can share.

thanks...

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts
Looking to get mudguards for my '08 HL Ltd in Blizzard Pearl. Which is the best place to get the one with closest color matching, trdparts4u.com or toyotaparts.com or some other place?
Also, very important for me, how complicated is the installation (I suck big time at these things). Are these simple screw ons or will I need to cut/drill/etc.?
It will be great if someone has a soft copy of installation instructions which they can share.

thanks...
I bought mine from trdparts4u.com.
The color was a perfect match for my silver HL. They are not Toyota PN's but a special production for Gulf region Toyota.

The installation is simple with one exeception. The clips for the back guards that the screws go into seemed to be the wrong size when I bought them last year. I raised this issue to TRD and they said they would pass the message along to the supplier so I would hope this has been resolved.

I would try installing the screws in the retainer clips before attaching them to the rear bumper locations to ensure they will work.

The other option which is more expensive would be to get the black Toyota ones and have them color matched by a body shop (I did this for the rear facia of the Toyota Hitch installation (see sig pic)). It requires a special flex additive to the paint to allow it to work on this type of product

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought mine from trdparts4u.com.
The installation is simple with one exeception. The clips for the back guards that the screws go into seemed to be the wrong size when I bought them last year. I raised this issue to TRD and they said they would pass the message along to the supplier so I would hope this has been resolved.

I would try installing the screws in the retainer clips before attaching them to the rear bumper locations to ensure they will work.
Thanks. A couple of questions:
1) So is the installation merely using some clips and screwing the mudguards? Sorry, I'm totally clueless here.
2) How did you resolve the issue above when the clips were the wrong size? Did TRD sent you a replacement or you had to somehow modify the clip?

·
Premium Member
2007 Camry XLE
1,643 Posts
Thanks. A couple of questions:
1) So is the installation merely using some clips and screwing the mudguards? Sorry, I'm totally clueless here.
2) How did you resolve the issue above when the clips were the wrong size? Did TRD sent you a replacement or you had to somehow modify the clip?
Answer 1..The front just screw on. The back use several spring clips that attach to the plastic bumper inside the wheel wheel. there are several dimples that are visible where the clips go.

Answer 2.. I used a tap to enlarge the hole so the screws worked. (a body shop should be able to provide you with #10 nut springs as another option)

Here is a link to the Toyota installation instructions.

They are similar to the TRD installations instructions

Toyota Mud Guard Installation

1 - 20 of 33 Posts