Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Corolla - 1999 VE
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i currently have a tenzo r muffler on my 99. its tooooooooo loud. i took the silencer off for one day and got a fix it ticket..its a nice loud sound, dont get me wrong..good muffler..but too loud for me..and i hate the way it looks with a silencer

anyway, like my friend and his camry, i am also looking for a new muffler. ive decided i want an upwards slant dtm kinda like ----/ okay that was a bad visual lol but hopefully you get the point..

so heres my question, how big should the actualy muffler box be in to get a medium loud sound? i dont want quiet like stock..but i dont want to wake the neighbors..the length of the tenzo body is about 15 inches..so to get a quieter sound..i was thinking a box around 20 inches?

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
You can sell anything on Ebay, anyone knows that. :)

I'd say go with something NOT straight thru, most so called "performance mufflers" are usually straight thru but you can still find some sports mufflers, which are usually not as silenced as a regular muffler but are still quieter than straight thru rice cans. BTW I learned the hard way too. :disappoin

·
AllTrac'er
1991 Toyota Corolla
30 Posts
What's the best solution for an original intermediate muffler that needs to be replaced on a 14 yr old Toyota corolla all trac wagon...can I just get a straight thru pipe put in.....and get a bit extra power....or do I need to replace it with the same intermediate muffler.

·
Registered
Tercel
8 Posts
Shyguy, any straight thru muffler on a Naturally Aspirated engine will be crazy loud and actually make you lose power because of needed backpressure that your system would not be getting, I recommend a Dynomax Turbo muffler, 2.25" in and out, nice and deep, but not loud enough to where you get a ticket, and also is a real muffler, so you don't have to worry about it at all.

·
AllTrac'er
1991 Toyota Corolla
30 Posts
On my wagon, I have the cat, a small muffler in the center, and a rear muffler....the small one in the center is the original 14 yr old one from the manuf....stainless steel and all...but it's rusted from the years in the harsh newf climate......238500 km's on the creature, the timing belt was recorded as changed at 110000, will I need that done too....????? Can I get away with saving money if I just get a pipe thru from the cat to the rear muffler?

88tercel said:
Shyguy, any straight thru muffler on a Naturally Aspirated engine will be crazy loud and actually make you lose power because of needed backpressure that your system would not be getting, I recommend a Dynomax Turbo muffler, 2.25" in and out, nice and deep, but not loud enough to where you get a ticket, and also is a real muffler, so you don't have to worry about it at all.

·
Registered
Tercel
8 Posts
Chances are that "small muffler in the center is a Resonator" If thats the case, you can infact just eliminate that and run a pipe from cat to the muffler, The only thing a resonator does it prevent popping from the muffler, under no load, example, coasting down a hill and the engine is gearing down to keep you from gaining too much speed.....

I would say go ahead with the catback exhaust :)

·
AllTrac'er
1991 Toyota Corolla
30 Posts
There is a god.....I wasn't going to pay either 270$ for the parts from the dealer, or 270$ for the whole thing from midas.....easier to just go with a straight thru...and add a fancy dual tip to the end.....make the thing look half decent.....once I get the body work done.....:clap: :clap: :clap: :whatwhat: :whatwhat: :whatwhat:

88tercel said:
Chances are that "small muffler in the center is a Resonator" If thats the case, you can infact just eliminate that and run a pipe from cat to the muffler, The only thing a resonator does it prevent popping from the muffler, under no load, example, coasting down a hill and the engine is gearing down to keep you from gaining too much speed.....

I would say go ahead with the catback exhaust :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I like "ricepipe" unfortunately i got one too and want to do something. my two thoughts are to look for a Apexi World Sport 2 muffler or to get a mauffler off a astro van 2 1/4 in and out and make a new system as im sick of tacking my 12 yr old system together

·
I don't hate C3H8
763 Posts
Performance wise you don't want to go with too big of a diameter on a smaller engine unless you have a turbo. The smaller diameters have a higher in pipe velocity that will actually assist you at lower rpms and give you better bottom end torque. A local muffler shop once gave me an easy rule of thumb for the street that has so fas served me well. NEVER go bigger than your car engine size in litres + .3 and round down.
IE a 1.8L + 0.5 = 2.1 round down to 2.0" You will not notice any power difference going larger, but you will notice a substantial increase in noise.

You could also consider seeing if a newer OEM Toyota muffler could be fit into your car. Most of these newer mufflers have a spring loaded bypass so that when the airflow reaches a certain point the bypass begins to open halfing the size of the muffler and saving you HP

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,669 Posts
I'm actually considering either upgrading to an OEM IS300 muffler or either an OEM Integra GSR or RSX Type S muffler, I've seen a few for sale and they look really nice for OEM stuff. Specially the IS300 and RSX mufflers. :eek:

·
Mr. Nice Guy
1991 Corolla GT-S
644 Posts
Smaller isn't better when you talking about exhausts and performance, the reason turbos see mto use bigger exhaust systems is because the turbo quites dow nthe engine ALOT and thats why you see bigger systems on turbos, n/a is very loud os bigger is better whe nyour talking about performance, but on the street you are limited by the noise levels and exhaust size because you dont want to get stuck on speed bumps so the reason you see smaller exhausts from aftermarket companies for n/a and bigger for turbo is because a big 3" pipes on n/a will be so god damn loud.. So on the street its a different case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts