Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking of gettin a muffler. can anyone tell me the size of the inlet pipe of my exhaust? and anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
75 Posts
im assuming its 2" or smaller since you have the 4cly model. but not too sure.

i suggest purchasing or go with custom piping (which rounds up to like $100+) but 1)you get somewhat performance gains and 2)you have the stock exhaust to pass smog emissions... if your state doesnt care for smog, then go with muffler if you want sounds.

what are you looking info for? sound/performance/looks?

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Well if you have emission, all you really need to do is keep the cat (depending on how strict).

Like he said, you could get custom piping run with a flowmaster, or glasspacks or something.

Or you could just get a muffler and weld it on.

Oh, and you have a 2" outlet (as pointed out above)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will i get a performance gain by just welding on a muffler? if so, which one is can i get the most gain with? any recommendations?

i hafta go thru a smog emissions test, so do i just keep my catback or get a new catback?

where can i get custom piping done?

i was actually just thinkin of going to midas and seeing wut my options were.

for my muffler, performance-wise, i already said wut im lookin for.
sound: i want the deepest possible.
looks: plain look is fine as long as the outlet is not too big.

so help me out! where can i find wut im looking for.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
just a tip won't give you anything but a cheap sound. Like a lot of people will tell you about your exhast, if your going to get it done, get it done the right way.

Normally an exhast system with the whole piping and what not should be around 300$ then you can add on the headers which are 300-400$. that should give you. i would like to say 60hp but i dunno really.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
A different muffler will give you sound gain, and minimal performance.

If you have to pass emissions, I don't think you will have many options for exhaust.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
Yesterday when I went to Chetumal Mexico I saw all these cars with some mini fart can tips. I was like wtf cuz they look just like the fart cans but just the size of a tip.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
they must have removed the muffler and just have a tip on .... guessing not to strict mexican emission laws ...

but i also say go flowmaster. but how deep would the 40/30 series sound on the 1mz?

·
Registered
75 Posts
tAn_CamRy said:
will i get a performance gain by just welding on a muffler? if so, which one is can i get the most gain with? any recommendations?

i hafta go thru a smog emissions test, so do i just keep my catback or get a new catback?

where can i get custom piping done?

i was actually just thinkin of going to midas and seeing wut my options were.

for my muffler, performance-wise, i already said wut im lookin for.
sound: i want the deepest possible.
looks: plain look is fine as long as the outlet is not too big.

so help me out! where can i find wut im looking for.
no performance by welding on muffler at all, just sound. IMO, i'd recommend flowmaster or a japanese universal product for a toyota. it really depends what YOU like, not us (me).

if you have smog emissions, by purchasing an catback exahust system, you can just bolt back your stock exhaust back on when the time comes. unlike welding, your stuck with the aftermarket muffler on your stock piping unless your willing to reweld ur stock muffler back on... which is real stupid imo

custom piping can be done by any local muffler shop. i dont know much about custom piping but their are 3 materials/styles i believed that are used: mandrel/straight/crushed. not sure which is best or better. custom piping can cost from $80+ depending on shop. i live in nor-cal and got charged $180 for custom piping and i heard shops 15min away from me do it for $80. it depends on your shop and material used.

if greddy makes an exhaust for your application, your in luck if your willing to spend couple bills on a greddy exhaust. the greddy evo/evo II have the deepest sound i ever heard for an exhaust. but their are other companies such as magnaflow that have that nice deep tone.

looks: i'd personally go for the "sleeper" to avoid cops targeting loud cars. but what kind of style muffler do you like? theirs many styles such as apexi style/fireball/low profile/etc.

IF i were in your situation, i would look for an exhaust system by greddy/apexi... if not, 2.25" custom piping with an "flowmaster/magnaflow or ES oval" muffler. why? because they have that low profile style and sound mellow/deep. again, this is just MY opinion.

please dont go into a local shop and ask "i wanna get custom piping done with a muffler..." the owner is gonna be like "uh ok.. i can get easy bucks off this sucker". if you have any questions or concerns, post them here and ill do my best to answer them...:thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.