Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a video of a guy that put a CB on his 2010, have any of you done this? If so how does it sound? I'm looking around so if you guys have done stuff that sounds good I'm open to suggestions, (though keep in mind I can't afford a $500 system)

Thanks!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have the Borla cat back on my '03 XR. I love the exhaust note. It is not "ricey" but kind of deep, and just loud enough. No regrets. If I knew then what I knew now, I'd make my own exhaust for 1/4 the cost.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
10,640 Posts
When you make your own system, you have the cat delete or resonator delete or both. Magnaflow and Borla are what most use. I have not. I went from a stock muffler to a TRD muffler. The note is just right for me.

The other advantage to making your own is you can choose the inner diameter of the piping. Versus using a kit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where would I go to make my own, like a muffler place?
I was originally planning on putting a weld on top from borla, then a glasspack, now I'm not sure. I can't do a bolt on as the previous owners had a small piece welded where the bolt thing was.
I think I might not touch the exhaust until I do some power mods

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
10,638 Posts
Where would I go to make my own, like a muffler place?
I was originally planning on putting a weld on top from borla, then a glasspack, now I'm not sure. I can't do a bolt on as the previous owners had a small piece welded where the bolt thing was.
I think I might not touch the exhaust until I do some power mods
Call up a muffler shop or a race shop and maybe they can make one. You can make one yourself provided you have the right equipment.

·
Registered
230 Posts
On my 07 rolla s i had. I had tried a few different setups. My car was a 5speed and the best sounding setup i had was just axle back. Basically cut old muffler off and put on a dynamax turbo muffler. Gave it a deep rumble and not ricey. Much better then the muffler delete i had before it. Was way to loud and very bad sounding. I had also a glasspack at one point but with the 5speed on the highway it was to much drone. The turbo muffler was just right on that car. Ive put exhaust on every vehicle I’ve ever owned (30+) Best sounding exhaust I’ve ever had on a 4cyl was an old honda civic. Had header, test pipe(no cat), to a 30” magnaflow glasspack. Was deep, little loud but absolutely no ricey pingy fart can sound coming from it. It was also manual trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
do you have a link to the muffler? or something similar?
Just look on summit racing or jegs. You just have to get close to stock size and a muffler shop can install it custom. I clamped mine on when i did it. It was a dynamax turbo muffler or magnaflow glasspack i believe there both around the $30 mark. I don’t remember what size i got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
What do you mean "make your own exhaust"
Literally make your own. You can get on Amazon and get a Magnaflow high performance muffler, cut out the stock muffler and put the Magnaflow in. Then you can cut out the 3 Catalytic converters and put in a magnaflow high flow cat to decrease your back pressure, increase HP, and still pass emissions if that is a concern. If you just want to delete the CATS you can get a test/down pipe off of eBay for like $60 that looks like it has CATS but is just hollow inside.

I personally care less about the ricey loud exhaust note and more about increasing HP.

·
Registered
73 Posts

Option 1:
Get a sawsall with metal cutting blades, You'll need the correct size and length exhaust couplers and some exhaust clamps.
Cut out the old muffler, and clamp in the new muffler.

Option 2:
Find a buddy who welds or has a welder and weld the new muffler in.

Option 3:
Find an exhaust shop to do the install.

Exhaust tip?
Sawsall the old stock tip off, find the exhaust tip you want and see options 1-3 above.

Welding
Harbor freight has small welders for like $100 that will get the job done. The welds won't be pretty, they just need to seal and hold. The exhaust is under the car and no one will see it anyway. If you don't know how to weld, HF sells how to weld books, look on YouTube to teach yourself. Welding is a skill that can save you LOTS and LOTS of $$.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts