Toyota Nation Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Everybody, just keep in mind that as the years go by EVERY car out there will have more and more technology. Even the "basic" cars have a million things that can still go wrong. Also, the 2004 Prius has extra glitches because it was the FIRST year of that particular generation. That's why I try to avoid a car until it's been out at least a year-it gives the manufacturer a chance to work out glitches. Obviously, you'll still see issues later, just not as many.

Toyotas are very reliable, they run forever. It doesn't mean all the electronics will work forever ;) There are tons of older Toyotas out on the road with 250k+ miles, and trust me, almost all of them have something broken, i.e.: Power seat quit working, ABS quit working, radio display is out, etc. The majority of the time, it comes with age and usage.
Obsession,
Why should I trust you?

I couldn't disagree more with some of your comments, excuses, and partly accurate axioms..

This is a part that should NOT fail after 6.5 years, on a well maintained by my Toyota dealer vehicle.

$1,700, plus labor, for an oem replacement part is rediculous!

This stinks from the top...Especially considering the widespread (Google it) MFD issue and a 2005 TSB on three lines: Highlanders, Prius, and LandCruisers.

Toyota issues and notifies owners of recalls on inexpensive parts, and public relations snafus.

Not costly ones...Think about what a widespread recall on 1,000,000(?) MFD's would cost versus:

$3.00 Master brake reservoir rubber diaphram "MIGHT DEGRADE" over time IF non-Toyota brake fluid was used. The manual specifies any DOT 3 fluid may be used.

$.50 cent driver's side carpet retainer clips that "MIGHT" come loose.

I was told on some vehicles "MIGHT" have a faulty MFD unit.

Why no recall on cheaply made, high margin, MFD display that "MIGHT" render the car effectively useless, dangerous, in fact with no defroster, A/C, or control over almost every vital function other than start, stop, wipers, lights, and horn?

Do the math...

There are normal wear items, maintenance, preventive maintenance, and things that shouldn't break from normal use, on a then $38,000 vehicle, with a reputation for being bullet-proof.

·
Registered
2004 Prius
2 Posts
MFD Failure Cause

The most common cause of the MFD failure is a microscopic crack in the solder joint for pin 60. See: http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/mfd/.

I just called the local dealer to find out about getting a replacement through them. Mine (2004) has GPS and I was quoted $4,900 for a new MFD.

You can find them on eBay for under $1000 and I've requested a quote from Toyota Salvage (http://www.toyotasalvage.com/).

·
Registered
2004 Prius
2 Posts
@stcinw

I removed the MFD and took it apart looking for pin 60. Found pin 60 but it's way too small for me to mess with so took MFD to my local computer repair shop to see if they could re-solder. His suggestion was that I buy a replacement on eBay. Figured that would take some time to get to me so put MFD back together and reinstalled it. Miraculously, it started working again but has become spotty once again.

When I put it back together, I followed the directions I found on a web search and gave it a bit of a counterclockwise twist before tightening the screws. I believe that's why it started to work again but, as I said, it's started acting up again.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got some insight in the MFD. I changed out the dome light and had the failure of the multifunction display. Apparently the fuse from the dome light affects the display. Fuse changed, MFD returned for the moment.
How silly is that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My MFD (Touch Screen) has gone blank on my 2009 Prius (out of warranty). I haven't had it diagnosed yet, but if I need it replaced, I'd like to know my options. I've read upwards of $5000 for OE down to low $100s for refurbished units. I've also read that some Toyota dealers are aware of the problem and will replace it for a reasonable price (< $1000?). It's also been hinted that this may be a possible recall item. Does anybody know the whole story? Needless to say, I'm not happy, and am prepared to go to war over this with Toyota. Time is on my side - I can still drive the car. I just need ammunition.

·
Registered
'12 Prius v
140 Posts
Lots of belligerency over a part that fails out of warranty. Reminds me of similar frustration on other cars where quality was expected and repair costs are high. (It could have been the IMS that took out your Porsche engine ... engine replacement cost $14k plus 20 hours of labor at $150 per.)

You bought the car and knew the terms of the maker's responsibility, it was spelled out in your warranty. Parts fail, some early some late, most in the middle of the bell curve.

Instead of fussing, see if you can focus on the best repair approach and minimum expense instead of blaming someone else because you are driving a car with no warranty and the dice came up wrong. I always found a friendly approach tothe dealership had more luck than a bellicose blaming approach.

Someone once told me that a problem you could buy your way out of was serious but not fatal. Think of the ones where that isn't true.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The are three truisms that apply here

1. Caveat Emptor!
  2. Your get more flies with sugar.
  3. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
I think you missed number three.

When I bought the car, Toyota was unsurpassed in quality. I wouldn't have expected a $5000 part to fail at 92,800 miles. And, of course, I had no idea that it was a $5000 part. Perhaps the salesman might have helped me out by suggesting I buy an end-to-end extended warranty for the car.

Regardless, I have no qualms to use any means at my disposal, naughty or nice, to resolve this matter in a satisfactory manner.

BTW - Do you work for Toyota?

·
Registered
'12 Prius v
140 Posts
You choose your tactics

But notice it is always someone else's fault. Toyota for falling quality (no matter that all parts fail sometime and somewhere on their own bell curve) and the salesperson or dealership for not forcing you to buy an extended warranty (usually a money losing item according to Consumer Reports and many online postings).

Never worked for Toyota or any other auto related company. I'm retired from the IT industry after 37+ years.

I'm remarking, however, as someone with a bit of experience in determining how a company might react to a belligerent customer.

And as someone who thinks it time we took responsibility for our decisions, including the one to drive a car a day past its warranty expiration. My last three cars were each driven 9+ years and one of them blew a transmission due to a fault that was well known, the subject of an extended warranty, but it blew a year or so after the warranty expired but well witin the mileage. I first took it to the dealer who had inspected it after a year and had stated in writing that it didn't have the problem that was the cause of the recall. Then, not liking the size of the quote, I took it to a trusted transmission place and got the trans totally rebuilt. Was it the quality car maker's fault that the trans failed? Well, I guess so. But was it worth fussing over? No. I just dealt with it in the most cost effective manner I could. Another of my cars I declined the extended warranty the car came with in favor of getting a reduced price because the private seller could get a rebate. This despite my being a blogger on the subject of the possible failure points on that particular model. I got lucky, none of the problems happened to me. But if it had, well I made my choice and thus it was my responsibility (at about $24k for an engine replacement caused by a $10 part).

No problem at all if you are trying to find out if there is a secret warranty, such things do exist. I've known them to occur when the approach to the dealership was calm and the relationship of the dealer to the car owner was long term and constant ... meaning multiple cars bought there and always serviced there. If even one of those wasn't true, no help at all. Revert to written warranty. If all true, they would help on the parts cost. But that was another make.

And my remark was intended as comment on the tone of the entire thread, not to your post. Though if you got an email, I can see you thinking it was focused on your posting.

I wouldn't be surprised if a dealer has some manufacturer's money they can spend to help customers but why should they spend it on a customer who comes in blustering that they will never buy brand X again. Thus my caution to go in soft ... you can always escalate but once you go in loud ....

Peace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You've got me by a few years. I'm still an active software engineer and have been one for 32 years. All I'm saying is that both the carrot and stick work and I think I'm smart enough to know which one to use when. I've had great success with both and won't hesitate to use either or both.

Love
-----

·
Registered
5 Posts
MFD Fixed but Problem Returned

It turns out this was an problem with a fuse. My wife called AAA for some other problem. The driver noticed that the MFD was out. He cleaned off and re-insterted some fuse and the MFD came back on.

The MFD had been working fine after that until the other day when it started going off and and and exhibiting other strange behavior. Right now it is staying solid white. Could this be a fuse problem?

For the original problem, I thought it might be fuse, but it's not clear from the manual which fuse:

7 ECU-IG 7.5 A
Smart key system, power windows,
touch screen, electric power

steering, theft deterrent system
or
13 ECU-B 15 A
Touch screen, power windows, air
conditioning system
or
16 PANEL 7.5 A
Touch screen, clock, audio system,
instrument panel lights
or
20 ACC 7.5 A Audio system, touch screen, clock
And why would only the MFD go out when each of the fuses support multiple components?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an '04 Prius with 85,000 miles on it and liked the car immensely -- until the multifunction display failed. Actually it fails intermittently -- all of the functions still work -- I just can't get to them all the time. It turns out that this failure is not uncommon to my year and early '05's but not afterward. The car is outside of warranty and I do not have an extended warranty. This component is an electronic component, though, so wear and tear to it is virtually unrelated to the age or mileage on the car. Its like a car radio failing. A radio failing at 85,000 miles or earlier would be very strange. Especially if a significant number of them failed -- in or out of warranty -- the manufacturer would acknowledge a defect and replace them for free. You would think Toyota in particular would step up to protect its reputation. However, Toyota has not formally acknowledged that this is a manufacturer's defect according to my dealer, who wants $4,000 to replace it. I heard that refurbished units are available for something like $500 and my dealer came down to $2,000. I'm very disappointed. Anyone else on this forum have a similar experience? Know how I can get Toyota to notice?
Our 2008 Prius display went out after 2000 miles! What a shock. Lots of things are controlled there. Replaced under new car warranty . Fine after that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I finally gave in and replaced the MFD on my 2009 Prius. The part went down to $1400 (dealership price) from over $5000. It's still high, but I was missing the Bluetooth, backup camera, and the ability to change CDs and make some AC settings. And, most annoying, my audio would go on and off based on the state of the MFD. Least important was the Nav system. I use Waze.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this issue with my '01 Land Cruiser, The only symptom I have is that the Climate controls don't work. When I press any climate related button, I receive an error "Check the Connection of Air Conditioner".

I've be researching this issue for weeks, and finally decided that the MFD was the issue. $2000 later, I've replaced the MFD and I receive the same error. I'm at a bit of a loss here. Does the system need a "reset" after the new MFD installation?

·
Premium Member
'13 TAH & '10 FJC
895 Posts
I have this issue with my '01 Land Cruiser, The only symptom I have is that the Climate controls don't work. When I press any climate related button, I receive an error "Check the Connection of Air Conditioner".

I've be researching this issue for weeks, and finally decided that the MFD was the issue. $2000 later, I've replaced the MFD and I receive the same error. I'm at a bit of a loss here. Does the system need a "reset" after the new MFD installation?

I looked for a thread in the Land Cruiser forum page to transfer you to for better input; however, found none related. I'll leave this here in case someone has an idea for you; however, you might want to start a thread over there with this question.....

·
Hybrid Repair Shop Owner
4 Posts
Good used Prius MFD's (aka touchscreen, info screen) are all over Ebay for under $500, just make sure you get the correct one for your car. (Call dealer parts department and ask them part number and price for your VIN).

It takes me 10 minutes to replace, first timers may need 45 minutes. Any car stereo shop can swap it out, no need to go to the dealer and pay $1500 or more.

·
Hybrid Repair Shop Owner
4 Posts

If you installed an aftermarket radio you may need to add a resistor to the wiring harness. I know it's required on Prius with aftermarket radio in order for climate controls to work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi:
I have a 2004 Land Cruiser, with same problem as you, regarding the MFD.
Did you ever find a solution? Greatly appreciate hearing you solved this problem.
I get the same "Check the connection of the air conditioner" msg-- and my heat, AC and oustide temp display do not work.
Thanks-

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.