Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
Car
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

i would like to buy a Digital Multimeter to test alternator,battery,...

what do you suggest?

Best Regards

·
'95 Camry 5S-FE
95 Camry LE
778 Posts

·
Banned
Car
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your help.
it is written on product detail"10A DC",but i heard people say the alternator ampere is more than 30A when it is loaded,am i right?
so if i connect the 10A multimeter the fuse will ...,what do you think?

·
'95 Camry 5S-FE
95 Camry LE
778 Posts
Actually the alternator can put out up to 80ADC or 90ADC at full load. To measure currents up this high you would want something more like this:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...21x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=03473756000P
EDIT: For some reason the link won't go directly to the item, so just search item# 03473756000 on their site.

The other two that I linked would be great for everything else in a car. Usually if you're just concerned about alternator current you can have Advance Auto or PepBoys or Auto Zone test it for you.

Reactions: AliRazoR

·
Banned
Car
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the problem is,i am living in a country that there are no Advance Auto or PepBoys or Auto Zone ,so i have to do it by myself.
thanks for your help so much,i am thinking to buy one of those high ampere multimeter.

·
Registered
1990 Toyota Camry LE
159 Posts
What country are your currently in? If internet purchases are available for you then I would recommend a Sears unit.

03482139000 is the item number and would have more than the necessary basic functions for you to use. I use a craftsman meter for the job. They work fine. But you'll need a clamp to test alternator current output.

Does no where around you have a battery tester or alternator tester?

·
Banned
Car
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
What country are your currently in?
Middle east

Does no where around you have a battery tester or alternator tester?
they never test the battery,they change it.
they test alternator by removing the +ve cable of battery,if your car stays ON means the alternator is working IF NOT you have to change alternator.

·
Georgia
1,181 Posts
That Craftsman multimeter also has 10 AMP limit, so it would not work to test the alternator current. I always used DC Volt function on the multimeter to test the alternator. With the car running check the voltage at the battery. If it is between 14.2 and 14.8 Volts, then alternator is working right.

Car might pass the disconnected alternator test (as mentioned by OP), yet the alternator might be overcharging the battery (regulator is broken), resulting in blown fuses and shortened battery life.

PS my Taco alternator put out 110 Amp (tow package), a regular off-the shelf amp meter/multymeter could not handle it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts