Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently bought my 1st highlander and it has some problems keeping me from getting through Delaware inspection for my tags.The exhaust is leaking at all the junctions except the manifolds.The horns don’t work and the isn’t any power at the relay in the fuse box under the hood.The last problem is the drivers sun visor won’t stay up.How do I fix these myself and will I need special tools to do any of it?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome to the community. There is are suggestions for a sun visor fix if you search this forum. Exhaust leaks - I’ll let people in the rust belt give advice on that.
For the horn, there are many points of possible fault if it is not a fuse or relay. Verify that you have voltage on both sides of the fuse. You will need a wiring diagram and volt meter or test light. It is a very simple circuit but goes through the clock spring. You need to check voltage and ground at the base of the steering column. I recommend going on Ebay and getting the factory wiring manual. I find it comes in handy very often and is usually available for less than $30. I also like the Haynes manual, and you can get on-line access to the factory service manuals, technical service bulletins, and training materials through the Toyota Technical Information Service (TIS). 2 days for $20 the last time I looked.

·
Registered
2003 Highlander
545 Posts

Jt....regarding exhaust and rust.....

2003 V6 AWD, original owner. 342k miles. Location: the heart of the rust belt, Michigan.
Above is a link with some photos.
The usual progression:
-donut seal at the last cat wears away. Needs to be replaced.
-hanger in the same area breaks off the pipe. Leaves a quarter ($0.25) size hole. The photos show my DIY repair re-using the original hanger bar and a flat band clamp.
-then the front pipe rots out.
-then the rear muffler inlet line rusts, cracks, and breaks clean off.
-then the front muffler starts leaking.
I replaced all parts of the exhaust gradually over the years except the cats. Used Walker components mostly.
Best of luck, Haya...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Warning on the horn issue: If the problem is not in the fuse or the relay which are both in the main fuse and relay block under the hood behind the battery, then it is probably in the steering column wiring or connectors.
This wiring carries the signals to the driver airbag. A mistake here in probing the wiring can result in accidental airbag deployment and injury.
It may be best to take it to a qualified mechanic. You need to judge if you have the equipment and skills to troubleshoot safely.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,395 Posts
Just recently bought my 1st highlander and it has some problems keeping me from getting through Delaware inspection for my tags.The exhaust is leaking at all the junctions except the manifolds.The horns don’t work and the isn’t any power at the relay in the fuse box under the hood.The last problem is the drivers sun visor won’t stay up.How do I fix these myself and will I need special tools to do any of it?
  1. Cut & weld or remove & replace exhaust piping
  2. Requires and electrical wiring diagram and a multi-meter to get started
  3. Replace the sun visor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts