Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla and I’m having a starting problem only when the car is warm. If I leave it over night and go to start it in the morning it will start just fine. When I drive it to work it runs perfectly, shut it off and when I come back out on break (so the car is left off for 2 hours ) I go to start it and it won’t start on the first try 2 or 3 try’s later it will finally start. But if I drive the car and it’s at operating temperature I shut it off and re-start it within 10-20 mins it starts just fine on first try, I’ve replace mass air flow sensor, all 4 coils and spark plugs,air box filter and I’ve used fuel injector cleaner in the last 3 fill ups I tried to replace the coolant temp sensor but when I put the new one in and started the car it showed on the temp gauge they it was over heating past hot, put the old one back in and reads at about 195 on the scan tool so I left it in there.

·
2012 corolla ce
1,556 Posts
I've read this exact issue before and I believe it was a Bosch maf sensor to blame but your car doesn't have a maf if I recall. Still try searching for won't start after in the 8th gen forum I betcha find a few posts on this. I'll look later tonight if I have time to see if I can find the old posts and link here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've read this exact issue before and I believe it was a Bosch maf sensor to blame but your car doesn't have a maf if I recall. Still try searching for won't start after in the 8th gen forum I betcha find a few posts on this. I'll look later tonight if I have time to see if I can find the old posts and link here.
It was a blue streak brand I put in it. New not reman

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Corolla, 2ZZ-GE Swap, 1997 Toyota Rav4
88 Posts
The other things that come to mind would be the idle air control or a dirty throttle body, but I'm just taking shots in the dark.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,302 Posts
Any codes?
How old is your battery?
Battery voltage across the terminals?
Are the terminals clean?
Is your key bent or twisted?

It sounds to me that the ignition relay is acting up. When the engine is still warm, the relay could be open. But when cold it closes. Test the relay by using a jumper wire to bypass. If it starts, relay is done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Seemingly, it can have good fuel pressure and not start when warm. Just keep the fuel pump mind after you have tried out all options.
but
Any codes?
How old is your battery?
Battery voltage across the terminals?
Are the terminals clean?
Is your key bent or twisted?

It sounds to me that the ignition relay is acting up. When the engine is still warm, the relay could be open. But when cold it closes. Test the relay by using a jumper wire to bypass. If it starts, relay is done.
cleaned Both terminals not sure how old battery is I’ll have to look tomorrow. but it’s not like a slow turn over it turns over just how it would when it’s cold, it just doesn’t fire when it’s warm and been sitting. Brand new key just made like 2 weeks ago , no codes at all, I’ll check the relay tomorrow and let you know if it works or not, thanks

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
13,302 Posts
What you can do is spray carb cleaner or something like it into the intake. If it starts, then it could be fuel pump or fuel pressure related.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2000 Toyota Corolla and I’m having a starting problem only when the car is warm. If I leave it over night and go to start it in the morning it will start just fine. When I drive it to work it runs perfectly, shut it off and when I come back out on break (so the car is left off for 2 hours ) I go to start it and it won’t start on the first try 2 or 3 try’s later it will finally start. But if I drive the car and it’s at operating temperature I shut it off and re-start it within 10-20 mins it starts just fine on first try, I’ve replace mass air flow sensor, all 4 coils and spark plugs,air box filter and I’ve used fuel injector cleaner in the last 3 fill ups I tried to replace the coolant temp sensor but when I put the new one in and started the car it showed on the temp gauge they it was over heating past hot, put the old one back in and reads at about 195 on the scan tool so I left it in there.
Corollas only run right on DENSO MAF sensors and O2 sensors. DENSO ONLY.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts