Toyota Nation Forum banner

181 - 200 of 358 Posts

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
For mold, my wife swears by Tilex mold and mildew remover. The stuff stinks of bleach, so it may change the odor from one bad thing to another. Also it maybe tough on the A/C housing internal parts. Just a thought.

·
Registered
387 Posts
So here is another Camry owner that has the problem of the terrible smell coming from the HVAC unit.
Car has 7000mi, parks inside, non smokers and very anal about my cars !!
My wife is going thru chemo and we have to drive 125 miles a day for the treatment. As most know your defenses are very low while receiving chemo so this moldy smell has me very concerned, plus it's BS that any new car owner in todays technology world has to put-up with this crappy smell!!
I have read all the posts about it with no solution presented so I am contacting the dealer and will be firm about this being figured out,
WISH ME LUCK
Very disgusted
NSF

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks Matt, I will post up results.
They have done the recall thing to make sure the evap is draining properly but yesterday the smell was so bad it was sickening. Problem is that it is sporadic so of course it wont do it when it goes in next week. The Service agent says they will do a flush and also call the Toyota rep to start a file on the car.
They know me and my wife well and about her condition so when I said I was worried about mold, spores and such I think it made more of an impression. I also said that if the problem couldn't be solved the car would have to go, one way or another???
For the sake of all Toyota owners I hope a solution is found once and for all. Apparently the whole fleet of Toyota suffers form this, wow.
Bobby

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hope it is fixed SOON. Best wishes.
I don't think all Toyotas have this, though. I never saw anyone post about it on the Corolla forum.

·
Conkatonk
149 Posts
I just wanted to offer my thought. Though I am not going to troll 13 pages of this thread.

Have you replaced your cabin air filter? It may be soaked by the humidity and when you shut off the AC the water sits on the filter and causes a moldy smell.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just wanted to offer my thought. Though I am not going to troll 13 pages of this thread.

Have you replaced your cabin air filter? It may be soaked by the humidity and when you shut off the AC the water sits on the filter and causes a moldy smell.

Just a thought.
I appreciate it, thanks. The dealer is aware of the problem as I have complained since it was almost new. This time as I said they are going to keep it until its figured out so whatever they do is on them, be it filters, washing out whatever, it's on them.
I hope to heck they resolve the issue and if so I will post up whatever they did. if it cant be solved then we have a serious problem, but I'm hoping for the best because I very much like the car.
Toyota usually backs their probs from my past experience
NSF

·
Registered
2 Posts
We purchased my GFs car new in March of 2013. At 5000 miles we started noticing this "musty, dirty sock, smell" we took the vehicle in and the dealership said there was nothing they could do about it. To spray lysol under the hood vents and let the AC run without recirculated on. We did so for about 2 weeks and it did not help. We took the vehicle back in at 10,000 miles for an oil change and the same smell. This time they did an AC cleaning service under warranty and changed the cabin air filter. 3 days after this service the smell came back.

Might I add my GF has severe allergies, so this just makes them worse.

After researching so many posts and forums about this issue I found a video about a Yaris owner who said his drain tube was clogged and he was able to get rid of the smell by cleaning the drain tube. So I pulled the passengers carpet back, found the drain tube and stuck my camera up the tube into the AC drain catch and the system is completely clear and nothing showed up on the camera so there is nothing for me to clean out. The drain catch is empty and there doesnt seem to be any mold near the drain system.

At 15,000 miles we took the vehicle back in for an oil change and still explained the odor was still there. They told us there isnt anything they can do that we would have to pay $149.99 for an ac cleaning service. I told them that was outrageous, this problem has persisted since 5000 miles.

Last week I started emailing Toyota. We went back and forth confirming information and I finally got a call on Monday this week. They explained to me that this is not a design flaw that it is an environmental issue. I told them "I do not believe it to be an environmental issue. I have never had this problem with any of my other vehicles I have owned" (I have owned a 2002 civic, 2008 silverado, 2008 mitsubishi evo x, 2010 chevrolet hhr ss, 2011 mazdaspeed 3)

They said "The engineers found this to be an environmental issue and in order to get rid of the odor you must preform the ac cleaning service." I told them the service was already preformed and the issue came back only days later.

They called back again today and said there isnt anything they can do. The Toyota rep said maybe I should pursue a lemon law or arbitration.

I have been in contact with a lemon law lawyer but they didnt seem confident with this issue. They gave me the number to another lawyer for a possible class action lawsuit. I am going to give them a call later today.

To have a vehicle, we cant drive with the AC circulated ON is the most useless BS I have ever heard.

Thats like a cell phone company saying you can use your cell phone but only on speaker phone.

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
That sucks. Did they say what "environmental" factor causes it?

Today I turned the AC on for the first time since the recall was done on mine and got the stinky smell. It's really bad when I turn the car off with the AC on (always in recirc mode), and then turn it back on. When it turns back on it smelled pretty bad. Maybe it was just because it had been awhile since I used it, but it's not looking good for me.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Surely there has to be a consumer advocate lawyer on this site, it sounds as if a class action lawsuit is a sure thing when you can bring forth this many complainants!!
SO HOW ABOUT IT LAWYERS, ANY TAKERS!!!!:dunno:
NSF

·
Registered
795 Posts
It's 80 deg here in San Diego today and I turn ON the AC for the first time since the HVAC recall done a month ago, no bad smell. The recall was about spider and AC drain tube, didn't mention anything about bad smell.

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
^ you're right. It's interesting that I never had the smell before (the recall) but have it now (after the recall). But I can't really say I have it for sure yet since today was the first time I used the AC is a long time.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just to make this crystal clear, it is not a little mustiness smell that is being discussed, at least not what we've experienced.
This is a very strong pungent moldy smell, one that cannot be taken lightly and surely can't be missed OK!!
On our way back today from my wife's treatments (130mi) I thought I caught a little of that odor again but maybe I'm way to conscious of it so time will tell. Temperature here hit mid 90's today so A/C is very, very, important.
God I pray it doesn't come back, believe me, I've done battle before with car makers and it is no fun, they have the power!!! Even though I was right I was wrong :disappoin
We'll see
NSF PS see my thread on "update of smelly HVAC" the service has been done about 2 weeks ago

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
Just to make this crystal clear, it is not a little mustiness smell that is being discussed, at least not what we've experienced.
This is a very strong pungent moldy smell, one that cannot be taken lightly and surely can't be missed OK!!
On our way back today from my wife's treatments (130mi) I thought I caught a little of that odor again but maybe I'm way to conscious of it so time will tell. Temperature here hit mid 90's today so A/C is very, very, important.
God I pray it doesn't come back, believe me, I've done battle before with car makers and it is no fun, they have the power!!! Even though I was right I was wrong :disappoin
We'll see
NSF
From my experience with Toyotas....it will come back. One Toyota we had a while ago had air that smelled so bad it smelled like pure pickles. Horrible. If I was a betting guy, I would definitely place lots and lots of money on the smell coming back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That sucks. Did they say what "environmental" factor causes it?

Today I turned the AC on for the first time since the recall was done on mine and got the stinky smell. It's really bad when I turn the car off with the AC on (always in recirc mode), and then turn it back on. When it turns back on it smelled pretty bad. Maybe it was just because it had been awhile since I used it, but it's not looking good for me.
They didnt say, which I still call BS because this is happening all across the united states.

I live in sunny southern california. our humidity is like 0. We get little rain and the car is always parked inside a garage.

To me it just sounds like an excuse by the engineers so they dont have to fix the problem since its not a safety issue.

·
Registered
456 Posts
my 2013 started to stink a few days after i bought it. Since i live in houston its super hot and humid. im not doing this let it run for a few minutes on vent bs.The air coming from the vents litterally smells like poop and not mold. Its started to get more humid here lately i noticed it smells more of a slight kerosene smell for a bit. I checked and i have no oil leaks what so ever. The whole "enviromental factors" bs is just so they dont have to fix it.

We'll see
NSF PS see my thread on "update of smelly HVAC" the service has been done about 2 weeks ago

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,461 Posts
I had to clean my evaporator today again.
A few weeks of use after the "winter" and smell came back. It doesn't stink really bad, at least for now, but since I completely forgot that smell and can do it myself, I prefer to spend 15 min and $15 and have no smell for a season.

181 - 200 of 358 Posts