·
2012 I4 SE Attitude Black
2012 Camry SE
50 Posts

·
BeerSteakTxas
2012 Camry LE
10,576 Posts
you better use foam which goes directly into evaporator housing (into drainage tube).
it will clean and deodorize evaporator and drain out itself.
if you;ll spray something into fan housing that stuff partially will stay in the HVAC system and cleaning foam will come out of AC vents, so you;ll need to clean them and dash after.

·
Registered
1 Posts
strong mold smell in 1-month old car

Bad mold smell coming out of A/C vent developed in my new Corolla LE (at only 1,200 miles, only 1 month old). VIN number starts with "2T1" - where was it made? Live in humid environment, use recirculated A/C a lot. Dealership agreed smell was real bad, fumigated the A/C system and cabin with perfume scented isopropyl alcohol vapors. Fresh smell now for two weeks, hoping it won't come back. Problem is, if Toyota used some biodegradable material in the A/C duct, then mold will always come back and grow inside the duct. Only permanent solution may be a recall and refit of A/C ventilation with no bio-degradable materials.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bad mold smell coming out of A/C vent developed in my new Corolla LE (at only 1,200 miles, only 1 month old). VIN number starts with "2T1" - where was it made? Live in humid environment, use recirculated A/C a lot. Dealership agreed smell was real bad, fumigated the A/C system and cabin with perfume scented isopropyl alcohol vapors. Fresh smell now for two weeks, hoping it won't come back. Problem is, if Toyota used some biodegradable material in the A/C duct, then mold will always come back and grow inside the duct. Only permanent solution may be a recall and refit of A/C ventilation with no bio-degradable materials.
nice username to thread topic ratio

·
He Is
98 Posts
My 2007 Toyota Tundra never had a problem with the smell putting over 79,000 miles on it and it was always in recirculate mode.
Now that I traded the Tundra for this 2012 Camry SE I get this bad smell in the morning after startup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2012 Camry SE with 6,500 miles. The odor began around 4,000 miles. My car has been at the dealership for 3 days and they have been unable to duplicate the smell. It begins when you first turn on the vehicle. I am having them run the AC for 2 hours today and then letting the car sit overnight to smell tomorrow morning (to build the moisture). They have escalated the issue to Toyota corporate and they elevated the issue to the engineers in CA. I find it hard to believe that nothing is wrong but they had to take photos and file a report for the engineers. I live in a humid area (FL) and drive 100 miles a day so I know that doesn't help the issue. Hopefully they smell something when I go there in the morning to speed this process up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
The smell just started in my car last week - same thing as others. Smells after sitting overnight, goes away after driving. Going to take to dealer next week - pretty sad with only 5k on the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok this morning heading to work when I turn on the AC I was like WTF is that smell ,I was looking around if there's any wet rag or clothing was left in the car. It's coming from the A/C with only 4000K mile but it goes away like 5min.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update. They were finally able to duplicate the smell. Toyota is looking into the issue. Currently they sanitized the AC and upgraded my filter to a carbon filter. They are saying that the engineers are developing these issues to try and find a permanent issue. The more people who have this issue addressed the more info they will have to properly address this. They did finally say that they suspect mold spores to be growing in the AC system. Well see what happens!

·
sufficiently snarky
2012 Camry SE
16 Posts
IIRC Toyota has a TSB for the same issue on the 2011 model. My 2012 SE does the same thing. Their solution is to switch from recirculate to outside air when you turn the car off. I complained, they did an AC refresh service (under warranty) and I've been taking the extra 2 seconds to set it on "outside air" and so far the problem is gone.

·
Registered
2014 Tundra CM TRD
23 Posts
Have you tried turning the AC off 1-2 minutes before turning the engine off?
I have and still have the pesky odor.... Just checked my air filter too and it is basically as good as new.... My 2012 SE is three months old and only 4K miles on it... This is annoying.

·
He Is
98 Posts
I know what your talking about with that smell. Here is what I have to do to get rid of the smell. It is only a quick fix. I spray this in all my vents about every 2 weeks.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Glycol-Ized-Professional-Sanitizer-Freshener-OZ-23/dp/B000CSWCA6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347275342&sr=8-2&keywords=ozium+vanilla[/ame]

I wish there was a fix from Toyota.
Have a great day.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Omg I just notice the smell today this 2012 Camry se is the worst car I ever own between the smell and the noise from above my head when its hot out ..come on ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
We finally had a "cool" front here in Texas so I was able to use outside air the entire day yesterday without A/C hoping that the moldy smell would go away. This morning I turn the A/C on and could still smell it. Oh well.

·
Registered
1988 Toyota Reg Cab
36 Posts
We finally had a "cool" front here in Texas so I was able to use outside air the entire day yesterday without A/C hoping that the moldy smell would go away. This morning I turn the A/C on and could still smell it. Oh well.
It will take a while but if you continue to cut off the A/C compressor about a mile before your destination while letting fresh air blow through the system, it should kill the bacteria over time. Worked in my 06 GMC and I am doing it in my new camry hoping to prevent it. I just don't understand why some vehicles design has the issue while others( 93 Honda Civic, 03 Hoinda Accord and 88 Toyota Pickup--All my old cars) didn't ??
Best of Luck

XB 2002

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes but when you turn the A/C back on do you get the moldy smell?
Today after riding around for 2 days with the windows down, running the fan only at the lowest setting (sometimes off) and fresh air intake set - I ran the AC this afternoon, and absolutely no odor from the vent. Probably better than when I bought it new.

Maybe that clears up the mildew that forms from the moisture? I don't know, but just wanted to share..

41 - 60 of 358 Posts