Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad I found this! I have had this odor in my car since 400 miles (2012 Camry SE). I have been telling my husband and he says I am crazy. . so I assume the dealership will state this as well. Live in Hawaii, it is always hot and humid (especially in a car). I have checked the air filter. We got a coating treatment for bugs and what not put on the car and I assumed that it had gotten into the ventilation. . I had to buy a high strength air freshener and the smell overbears it as well. I guess it is just a Toyota issue. Has anyone had any luck getting this covered under their warranty?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my Camry in Oct 2011, I live in Kentucky where we only use the air for a few months. I noticed the smell for the first time in June 2012. I just took it to the dealer this past Tuesday and was informed that this is a known issue with the 2012 models, the problem stems from the air conditioner condenser. there is no longer a spray coating on it so it now collects mold, which in turn blows in to the car. At this time there is no fix offered by Toyota. For someone like myself that is allergic to mold it makes my car toxic to me. I am scared to death to drive it fearing that I will have an asthma attack. I WILL not put my grandkids in it. I paid cash for my car, if I had a payment I would not be making it right now. VERY unhappy with Toyota on this issue, this is my first new car and I am afraid to drive it!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I live in Houston and do not have this problem with my '12. I turn off Rec. when I shut the car off tho. But I have to admit that every car here in Houston seems to have that problem, some a lot worse then others. Try removing the air filter, maybe its holding the smell?

People demand so much from cars today.... I think Toyota did a great job for the price of the car. Every car is going to have a problem here and there.

Back in the day we sprayed some lysol into the vent and this took care of the problem.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I live in Houston and do not have this problem with my '12. I turn off Rec. when I shut the car off tho. But I have to admit that every car here in Houston seems to have that problem, some a lot worse then others. Try removing the air filter, maybe its holding the smell?

People demand so much from cars today.... I think Toyota did a great job for the price of the car. Every car is going to have a problem here and there.

Back in the day we sprayed some lysol into the vent and this took care of the problem.
How many miles do you have on the car? Mine started to stink at around 1500 miles.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have 3000 miles and not a hint of the smell. The car was built in April. I run with the re circulation on all the time and turn it off before I shut off the car. Maybe these cars stay on re circulation after the car is shut off. A cold and damp place will grow mildew.

I would like to know if people with automatic climate control have this problem?

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,453 Posts
it still pretty easy these days: used foam AC evaporator cleaner, just stick tubing into AC drainage and squeeze the trigger! :)
10-15 min. and it drains back and cleans everything on it own.
I always run re circulating but switch to outside air and turn AC off couple minutes before shut down. sometimes my AC still stinks but small goes away within couple min at the most.
same was with 2007 camry, 2006 passat, 2003 bmw. but 2001 camry never stinked...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, my 97 camry never had an odor problem either. However, our 03 suburban and 07 sebring have the problem.

Moral of the story...... everyone should sell thier gen 7 camry and buy a gen 4!!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am very frustrated with this odor issue. My dealership has sprayed cleaner twice now and there is no guarantee the smell/mold won't come back. I have several cases open in CA with the techs there. I filled a complaint with corporate today. Well see what happens! :headbang:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am very frustrated with this odor issue. My dealership has sprayed cleaner twice now and there is no guarantee the smell/mold won't come back. I have several cases open in CA with the techs there. I filled a complaint with corporate today. Well see what happens! :headbang:
Let us know how it goes. Been having the same issues in CA and really wishing toyota will address and solve this..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same Issue Moldy Smell

Well let me tell you to read all the customers having issues this is very disheartening to me. I left Honda because they had issues they were well aware of and would not acknowledge the issue and correct the problem for thousands of customers and Im dreading Toyota is doing the same??

I bought my car in May 2012, Toyota Camry S/E I had less than 4,000 miles when I first noticed the mildew stench. I waited until today to let them know of the issue as it's my first tune up and it wasn't to far away. They called me today asking about this "unknown" smell so apparently they are pretending they have no idea what I'm talking about and this thread confirms that. I'm feeling a bit disgusted at this point to be treated like this when they are well aware of the issue. It took me less than 30 seconds to see what the problem is once I googled the mildew smell coming from vents.

Someone made the statement that CNN had no one die from the smell minimizing the issue. When you pay 25,000 for a car you shouldn't have to put up with a mildew smell every time you start your vehicle.Let me tell you it's very strong!! I will be printing off all these statements about the "unknown" smell and giving them to the service department tomorrow then maybe they will acknowledge the issue.

So am I to assume as of today they still have no remedy for this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well let me tell you to read all the customers having issues this is very disheartening to me. I left Honda because they had issues they were well aware of and would not acknowledge the issue and correct the problem for thousands of customers and Im dreading Toyota is doing the same??

I bought my car in May 2012, Toyota Camry S/E I had less than 4,000 miles when I first noticed the mildew stench. I waited until today to let them know of the issue as it's my first tune up and it wasn't to far away. They called me today asking about this "unknown" smell so apparently they are pretending they have no idea what I'm talking about and this thread confirms that. I'm feeling a bit disgusted at this point to be treated like this when they are well aware of the issue. It took me less than 30 seconds to see what the problem is once I googled the mildew smell coming from vents.

Someone made the statement that CNN had no one die from the smell minimizing the issue. When you pay 25,000 for a car you shouldn't have to put up with a mildew smell every time you start your vehicle.Let me tell you it's very strong!! I will be printing off all these statements about the "unknown" smell and giving them to the service department tomorrow then maybe they will acknowledge the issue.

So am I to assume as of today they still have no remedy for this?
So far, looks like no lasting remedy. Spraying the vents with a cleansing foam seems to work, but only a matter of time before smell comes back. The issue seems to be that they did not coat the condenser with antimicrobial treatment. Maybe they will send a recall notice and replace it? Most likely, since it is not a safety issue, it will likely get ignore. I dread when the car is >50K with lots of mold deposits making riding almost impossible. Wish there was a way we can all send complaints to toyota directly and keep hammering them till they at least acknowledge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Contact Corporate Mildew smell

SJH09 Can you post the information (link or email) where you complained to Corporate so others like myself can complain. Maybe if enough complain they will stop ignoring us :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Corporate called me back... Apparently they don't care that people are having these issues. I was told that in high humidity areas, this problem happens and Toyota doesn't plan to change their system. They werent conserned with the health problems it has caused. It seem like something they aren't conserned about, no how many others it bothers! :disappoin

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mildew/Rattling sunroof

They serviced my vehicle yesterday...and today I leave work and the smell is back...they said they cleaned it! My last Honda was a 2009 Accord I got a Camry because the 2012 was the same exact style as 2009..Yuk!

As for the Sunroof they got it to stop rattling, I asked what they did he smiled and said I'm not telling just let me know if it's gone... So Far so good I just laugh at the smirk he gave me. Probably shoved a cigarette butt in it or something lol... Just kidding He told me to go online and tell everyone it's fixed. :-\

The gentleman in service said he never heard of a Mildew smell problem I chuckled at him and asked if he was serious. (probably bullshttn me) I told him to look up Toyota Nation and he would see tons...

OK I lied the Sunroof is making the annoying rattle again...oh well it lasted all but 10 miles!

·
Registered
30 Posts
My car suffers from the Moldy A/C smell syndrome as I have stated before. I have adopted the following routine: a couple of minutes before arriving to my destination I turn the A/C compressor off, turn the fan speed to the highest setting and once I park the car I adjusting the thermostat to HOT until I start to feel uncomfortable, then I lower the thermostat and shut off the car.
When I start the car again there is a little whiff but nothing as smelly as it was before. It is a pain but I rather do all this than inhale mold.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The weather has been nice here for the last 3 days so I've just been using the fresh setting with the a/c turned off. I turn on the a/c today for the first time in 3 days and it still has the smell. Oh well, I guess they need to add this smell to the standard features on the sticker of the car.

61 - 80 of 358 Posts