Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 358 Posts

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
^is that spray? I have a can of BG Frigi Fresh that I used on our old old old 99 Sienna and it actually worked wonders. But it didn't have a cabin air filter, so i'm not sure how it would work in a car w/ one.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,451 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Follow up actions

To update on my smelly 2013 Camry, I scoured the Internet for advice on dealing with the A/C problem.

1. I exchanged the cabin filter with a Fram Fresh Breeze that has carbon and baking soda. No improvement.

2. I went to the auto parts store and asked for a cleaner/disinfectant and they only had one product - IDQ A/C duct cleaner that promised to "eliminate odors". I sprayed half a can through the air intake by the wiper blades and through the ducts in the cabin. Then I ran the A/C for about 10 minutes. It smelled better for about 1 day and then the odor returned. I also bought a can of Lysol spray and I might try filling the cabin with that and running the recirc A/C.

3. I emailed Toyota from their website and submitted a complaint. Someone called back and talked with my wife. Basically the message was that the odor was from the environment and it was a normal feature in hot, humid conditions. She said to read the owner's manual where it was discussed. When my wife asked if all Camry's had the bad odor or just some of them, the rep replied that her own Camry had an odor and so she didn't use the recirculate button. My wife asked about lemon laws and what happens when a car has a problem or defect that the dealer can't fix. She said that we could go to arbitration.

4. For a bit of fun, I called a radio show that helps consumers. They said to file a complaint with both the state's attorney general consumer protection division and with autosafety.org.

We're taking a trip South next week so we'll see how bad the odor gets.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
yep.
it comes with pretty long tube. stick it into the drainage and squeeze the "trigger". it gonna drain 10-15 later. turn ac fan for 5 min or so and you done.
david...how would i know when to stop squeezing the trigger? when it starts dripping? then after that, how long should i wait before i turn on the ac? should it be on full blast?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,451 Posts
david...how would i know when to stop squeezing the trigger? when it starts dripping? then after that, how long should i wait before i turn on the ac? should it be on full blast?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
when you'll see that foam is not coming from the can anymore you can release the trigger and stop. wait till all fluid would drain out from the drainage (10-15 min) then run AC on outside for few min to let condensation to wash away cleaner leftovers and run fan on "outside" setting with windows down for 5 min to dry evaporator and get rid of some smell. smell is not bad but pretty intense at first but it doesn't last long and clears pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
when you'll see that foam is not coming from the can anymore you can release the trigger and stop. wait till all fluid would drain out from the drainage (10-15 min) then run AC on outside for few min to let condensation to wash away cleaner leftovers and run fan on "outside" setting with windows down for 5 min to dry evaporator and get rid of some smell. smell is not bad but pretty intense at first but it doesn't last long and clears pretty quick.
this is the one, right? so you mean to say i need to finish the entire can?

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,451 Posts
this is the one, right? so you mean to say i need to finish the entire can?

yes. don't worry, it goes in easy, just shake can very well before you start and keep shaking it time to time till it stop pushing foam out.
squeeze everything in and foam would go higher and stay longer inside of the housing.

·
Registered
456 Posts
i have a few posts on here now.I found it interesting now that our weather is going from super hot and humid to less humid and hot I have yet to have any stink for the past 2 weeks.So now the hunt is on for somthing that can fix it. I bought a can of the koolit stuff havent had a chance to use it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
On a random note, does everyone here garage their cars? I've never noticed this when parking inside, but outside, it can get rather cold overnight.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,451 Posts
mine always garaged (at least over night) but stinked before I used kool-it and Fresh Breeze anyway.
it stinked during the dry spring and begging-middle of the summer before kool-it and Fresh Breeze.

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
On a random note, does everyone here garage their cars? I've never noticed this when parking inside, but outside, it can get rather cold overnight.
Hmm...thats a good point. My Camry is not garaged, and it doesn't really smell, only every now and then for a second or two on start up. However, our old 2012 RAV was garaged, and it stunk pretty bad. We traded it for a 2013 RAV in the end of July, and it already smells more often than my Camry, but not bad yet. So the two RAVs were garaged and the camry isnt, the two Rav's have smelly air, the camry doesn't really. Interesting point Jeremy!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hmm...thats a good point. My Camry is not garaged, and it doesn't really smell, only every now and then for a second or two on start up. However, our old 2012 RAV was garaged, and it stunk pretty bad. We traded it for a 2013 RAV in the end of July, and it already smells more often than my Camry, but not bad yet. So the two RAVs were garaged and the camry isnt, the two Rav's have smelly air, the camry doesn't really. Interesting point Jeremy!
Interesting and I never thought about it. My cars have always been garaged and they do stink. The heat from the sun must be drying out the condenser enough to prevent the mold growth.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,451 Posts
Interesting and I never thought about it. My cars have always been garaged and they do stink. The heat from the sun must be drying out the condenser enough to prevent the mold growth.
doubt that. it gonna take alot more than 6-8hrs on the sun to dry out evaporator. it actually should work in opposite direction and create perfect environment for mildew growth.

·
Registered
456 Posts
well my car usually sits from friday night to monday morning and it stinks monday. That should be plenty of time to dry out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mold smell coming from vents

Whenever I start my car in the morning or when leaving from work, my A/C has a strong musty, moldy odor. It slowly dissipates as I drive (and switch to non recirculate). Anyone else have this issue? I haven't had the car but 4 months, but the odor is getting worse and worse....

I live in South Florida where the humidity is high, but never expected this!
Yes I purchased a 2013 Camry and the smell started about 3 months later . TOYOTA NOT WILLING to stand behind their products will not do anything and they make poor excuses as well. ANYONE having this issue needs to GET a lawyer and start a Lemon Law proceeding if you do not have a lemon law in your state get a lawyer. Also check with your doctor that the mold is not making you sick as it is with me. This is not normal as they say - I have had 2 Toyotas before this one but will never buy another one again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I purchased my 2013 SE V6 in May. I live in Austin so drove through the hot summer until about 6500 miles. Thought I was lucky not having the smell, that was until July when it started. It now stinks every morning on start-up. It is somewhat manageable by using outside air, but is totally unacceptable to have to constantly try to manage the situation by remembering to turn on outside air all the time and also not being able to use re-circulate for fear of my whole car stinking.

Also, I've noticed the car hardly drains water at all when on re-circulate. It drains ok with outside air on. There is definitely some kind of design flaw with these once re-circ is used. I don't think it is draining properly which is causing water build-up which leads to the moldy/mildew smell. I wonder if this is also related to the most recent recall of AC condensation shorting out the air bag control module?

Either way, it is BS!

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
^i was thinking the same about the recall, but in my experience, the smell is a widespread toyota problem. Our old, old 99 Sienna had it horribly, our old 2012 RAV had it pretty bad, and our 2 month old 2013 RAV has it slightly. However, a 1997 Avalon and 2002 Camry did not have it. So I can't pattern it.

The only pattern I can find is thanks to jdk2, every one of the vehicles that had/has the smell was parked in the garage, and every vehicle that didn't have the smell was parked outside.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah, it's a weird pattern. I had a 2004 corolla till 185K miles and never had anything similar to this.

141 - 160 of 358 Posts