Toyota Nation Forum banner

161 - 180 of 358 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Maybe this can resolve it, who knows what else they are doing in there.

TORRANCE, Calif., Oct. 17, 2013 - Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc., today announced it will conduct a voluntary safety recall of approximately 803,000 Model Year 2012-2013 Camry, Camry Hybrid, Avalon, Avalon Hybrid, and Venza vehicles due to a problem with the air conditioning condenser unit housing.

In the involved vehicles, water from the air conditioning condenser unit housing could leak onto the airbag control module and cause a short circuit, resulting in illumination of the airbag warning light. In some instances, the air bag(s) could become disabled or could inadvertently deploy.

In limited instances, the power steering assist function could also become inoperable if a communication line in the airbag control module is damaged. Loss of power steering assist results in increased steering effort.

To remedy this issue, Toyota dealers will apply sealant and install a cover to the air conditioning condenser unit housing seam located above the airbag control module.

Owners of the involved vehicles will be notified by first class mail to return their vehicles to a Toyota dealer for the repair.

Detailed information is available to customers at www.toyota.com/recall and by calling the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-800-331-4331.

·
He Is
98 Posts
Today I had taken my 12 Camry in for a 20,000 mile service and they said I had a recall.
They did the recall and it has fixed my smell coming out of the vents that has been there since around 5,000 miles.
It smells like a new car smell from the vents with the A/C in recycle mode now.
The recall is to fixing the evaporator from leaking on the Air Bag Control Module by installing a cover and add sealant.
The must have done something right for the smell to be gone now.
The recall call states that it is the A/C Condenser but really it is the evaporator core, that they are adding the cover and sealant too because the Air Bag Control Module is inside the car on the passage side.
Here is the recall information.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+recall+camry+avalon+venza+oct17.htm

·
It's Official
9,213 Posts
^what all does getting the recall done entail? Have to pull the dash, console, or what...do you know?

·
He Is
98 Posts
Today I had taken my 12 Camry in for a 20,000 mile service and they said I had a recall.
They did the recall and it has fixed my smell coming out of the vents that has been there since around 5,000 miles.
It smells like a new car smell from the vents with the A/C in recycle mode now.
The recall is to fixing the evaporator from leaking on the Air Bag Control Module by installing a cover and add sealant.
The must have done something right for the smell to be gone now.
The recall call states that it is the A/C Condenser but really it is the evaporator core, that they are adding the cover and sealant too because the Air Bag Control Module is inside the car on the passage side.
Here is the recall information.
http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+recall+camry+avalon+venza+oct17.htm
Still no smell yesterday morning and no smell this morning. The recall fixed my problem.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
^what all does getting the recall done entail? Have to pull the dash, console, or what...do you know?
Yes this would be good to know. If its a mod like a larger drain it could be a DIY. I dont see any reason why they wouldn't tell you what they did. perhaps the work order would show some replacement parts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
solution! hope it helps someone else

We have a Camry, bought used, it's about 8 years old. This year it began to smell moldy from the A/C. We are horribly sensitive to mold and this was very bad news.

I visited this forum and elsewhere and got some ideas.

What we did in the end:

At Mountain Rose organics (online) we bought a diffuser for essential oils. From Heritage Essential Oils I bought clove, cinnamon, lemon, and rosemary oils (would have included eucalyptus but that one not good for Husband). These are the same oils as in Young Living's Thieves blend except Thieves does have the eucalyptus. I believe you can buy a YLEO Thieves substitute from HEO too.

I bought a car adapter from Amazon.

I put equal quantities of the oils, for a total of at least twenty drops, I think it was (call the maker of the diffuser, Aromatherapeutics I think they are, for the minimum oil quantity you can use; you can't leave oils in when you are done so don't want to put too much in).

I ran the diffuser for hours in the closed car. Fan going. I think I had it on recirculate. If I had it to do over I would do both recirculate and with outside air, and try different vent settings so the oils get everywhere. Locked car and left it running somewhere the exhaust wouldn't bother anyone.

This helped to a degree, but not all the way.

So, on another day, left car locked and running with heat on full blast and vents open. That is, not on recirc. Second highest fan setting and highest heat. I probably had it on both face and feet setting. Hours. Till keys were hot.

After those two treatments--no more smell from the A/C.

Ours was a mild problem so I don't know if this will do for everyone but wanted to share it.

You want the glass and plastic nebulizer from Mountain Rose and this from Amazon worked for the adapter:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Q54V88/ref=wms_ohs_product_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

I also looked into the spray foams but no longer need to try that.

You can use these oils to make cleaners and other good stuff for your home but I am not a salesman for any of these companies and so I won't give any recipes for those. My point is just--having the leftover oils is not a waste. I love them.

Hope this helps some desperate person!

·
Banned
19 Posts
Its a problem with the plate design on the EVAP. This does not allow for water to shed and run out drian when car or AC is turned off. Not sure if Denso uses styrofoam or closed cell foam on the EVAP liner but if it is styrofoam the water will stay in the dimples and smell when hot summer months arrive. I spent 10 years for DaimlerChrysler as a interior climate engineer and it took us a few years to correct. Best thing to do is turn AC off and run afn on full blast for 1-2 min before turning off car. Dont blast me, but it will help. You can also grab a can of lysol and put on recirc and spray into housing under right side dash and it will kill spoars.

·
He Is
98 Posts
I really hope this is the case for me as well. Just curious, could anyone explain how this recall fix could possibly solve the moldy a/c smell problem too?
My understanding is that it redirects the water that drips from the A/C evaporator unit to the drain hole.
Looks like maybe before the water never got out the drain proper causing mold to build up causing the smell.
Mine still doesn't smell anymore.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mold smell 2013 toyota camry

We are also having the stinky mold smell coming from our 2013 camry. We live in ohio and the smell comes from both A/C and heater. The dealership says they don't smell anything. All it takes is a trip around the block with the heat/blower on, and you will smell it. We've had the car back 4-5 times, and the last time they cleaned the hvac. That lasted for all of about a minute. Our next step is going through Toyota's arbitration process. The next step if our car doesn't get fixed, may have to be legal action. This car makes me sick, literally. Quick trips in the car I just have to suffer burning nose and sore throat. Long trips result in allergy-like symptoms such as puffy eyes, itchy face and coughing. Constant exposure to mold is not healthy. All we want is for Toyota to fix the problem that they are very aware of.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
We are also having the stinky mold smell coming from our 2013 camry. We live in ohio and the smell comes from both A/C and heater. The dealership says they don't smell anything. All it takes is a trip around the block with the heat/blower on, and you will smell it. We've had the car back 4-5 times, and the last time they cleaned the hvac. That lasted for all of about a minute. Our next step is going through Toyota's arbitration process. The next step if our car doesn't get fixed, may have to be legal action. This car makes me sick, literally. Quick trips in the car I just have to suffer burning nose and sore throat. Long trips result in allergy-like symptoms such as puffy eyes, itchy face and coughing. Constant exposure to mold is not healthy. All we want is for Toyota to fix the problem that they are very aware of.
is your car part of the hvac recall?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just wondering if anyone who had the recall work done can update us and let us know if they've experienced the odor since? Thanks

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
Doubt the recall will make a difference, it attempts to seal the lower evaporator case and redirect any subsequent leakage forward away from the ABS module.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I seemed to remember that there were some people on here who did get the recall done, plus the more recent poster who said 'thanks Longo Toyota' (see above, right?) whose problem WAS gone after the recall fix.....
But as someone who is quite possibly going to buy a new 2014.5 Camry soon or maybe CPO Gen 3 Avvy (who knows?!?) I have to say I feel very badly for the people who are experiencing this problem as it sounds potentially quite severe in some cases..... and .... makes me wonder what in the world am I going to buy then? Because it is a definite turn off ... my 2000 Camry NEVER has had an issue like this, not even once. Discouraging.

Oh well. If there is a link and a fix related to the recall, which I had thought was possibly the case...... so much the better. Good luck, everyone!

·
He Is
98 Posts
The smell came back in mine.
Looks like when they did my recall it involves some cleaning that fixed my problem.
I hope they fix the smell problem in 2015 Camry's.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
If the drain tube is plugged there is a greater chance of moldy odors. Looks like checking for a plugged drain tube should be part of odor remediation. Make checking the drain tube part of an oil change procedure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
is your car part of the hvac recall?
We had the car to the service dept. 4 times. On the last trip we made the service manager ride around with us. We turned on the heater, the smell was there, and since the blower was on high, there was NO WAY he could deny smelling it. But, he didn't deny, but he certainly didn't admit that it was a mold smell. To that...I say WHATEVER. I couldn't take riding in the car another day. It was having mild sore throats and headaches each time I was in the car, my eyes and face would get all puffy, etc. Obviously we weren't happy with all the denials by Toyota. If I wasn't having all the issues I was experiencing with sore throat, etc., we were most definitely going to sue. But...I couldn't drive that car for however long it would have taken a lawsuit to happen. I needed to get out of it. So, while my husband was going around and around with the service department, I walked over to the show-room, asked to speak to somebody about trading it in, and that's what we did. I'm not sure if they cut us such a good deal because of the problems we were having with the car, but they bent over backwards to put us in a new 2014 Camry. We're going to keep our fingers crossed that by 4,000 miles this issue doesn't come back. It's unfortunate. They know there's a problem, they're just not willing to fix it as of yet. And, when they drove the 2013 around to have it inspected for the trade-in, the girl who drove it to the garage came back to us and said she definitely smelled the mold. I will keep her name in my notes for future reference.

·
He Is
98 Posts
I added this the recall post and wanted to post here too.

I traded my 2007 Tundra in for this 2012 Camry.
I had my recirculate turned on in the Tundra for almost 80,000 miles and never had a problem with a smell coming from the A/C vents.

This Camry after having about 3,000 miles on it the smell came.
I took it to my selling dealership and the service manager could smell the same smell I smell that is coming out of the A/C vents and wants to sell me a A/C vent cleaning.
What a joke having a brand new car and have to pay for something that should be covered under warranty.

As I said that the recall that was done on my car a few months ago did correct the smell for awhile but the smell is back now.
Maybe it was the smell of the plastic tray that was added in the recall that was hiding the smell.

A lot of people on here are complaining about this smell and Toyota is not fixing the problem.

As for the recirculate being on. It was put there to keep the cabin of the vehicle at a consistence temperature and also to help eliminate the smell from exhaust systems on other cars or trucks entering the cabin.
A little side note here about the recirculate being on is that the fresh air door is closed and when you park the car like that the fresh air door being closed will help keep out rodents.

I have tried turning the recirculate off a mile or two before parking the car and when starting the car back up after it sits it still smells again and the recirculate is off. I can see that the evaporator is draining while running the A/C, by having a puddle of water under the car.

I'm done complaining now.

161 - 180 of 358 Posts