Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 1999 Toyota solara with the 1mzfe and a manual 5 spd and it’s quick but not super fast at all is there any known sites where I can order performance parts to Canada and is there any sites that have turbo kits for the 99 solara

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
Even back in the day, there was very little aftermarket support on these Toyotas in the way of performance parts or kits. Toyota offered a TRD supercharger kit, but they cost ~$4k, and they didn't sell well. IF you can find one (rare as hen's teeth), they still go for ~$3k if they're complete and in working order.

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
Here's a few "for sale" listings in the Commerce forum here on TN. They're all pretty old, so I doubt they're still available...

·
Registered
19 Posts
As mentioned there hasn’t been a whole lot of aftermarket support for these cars/drive trains on the performance tip of things.

Right now I’m seeing as your best option would be to go TRD supercharger to squeeze a bit more power out of the 1MZ. However as mentioned sourcing one could prove to be fairly difficult and pricey.

Another option is to turbo the car, but seeing as you don’t have 4-5k just laying around then that’s completely out the window.

You titled that your car is slow as balls, unfortunately the reality is just that you need a different car to work with if you want something fast a 1MZ-FE equipped car just isn’t it unless you got a nice savings account you’re willing to blow.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nothing wrong with a solara chasis IMHO. IMHO turbo charge it. I have a 94 Camry also with a 1MZ that I'm boosting as soon as I finish my 3S-GTE swap in my 2000.

EDIT: You can always go with weight reduction. You can get it down to 2900lbs ish, which is roughly the same weight as a UDSM SW20 MR2...
-Reduce unsprung weight. Lightweight high torque rated rims, lighter rotors...
-Rip out the spare tire , rear trim, passenger and rear seats, have your tank at 1/5th... get rid of any custom audio... it will definitely be lighter, but wether or not you will feel a difference is completely subjective. Without any engine mods, it's a 18 second car...

·
Registered
MR2 3.3TT
206 Posts
Buy a first or second gen MR2 and put your 1MZ in it. That will be pretty quick. You can use the 5 speed too if you modify the shift shaft.

You can run a 3MZ exhaust cam and 2MZ intake cam in your 1MZ and that will add a bit of power. So would the supercharger kit others have mentioned.

One could build a turbo setup for possibly less, that would work better, but if you have never done that before it's going to get expensive fast. If you aren't doing the work yourself it's out of your budget. (Hint: 11psi on a pair of stock wrx td04l-13t turbos, 440cc injectors, walbro 190, speeduino or megasquirt, custom manifolds and intercooler. the oil gallery has two m18 plugs near the oil pump that can be removed and replaced with -an adapters to supply oil to the turbos, no idea if this would fit in a camry engine bay)

To be honest though, if 5k is out of your budget you don't really have enough to be building hot rods. Some days during a project like this it feels like you are lighting 100's and tossing them out the window.

·
2006 Corolla XRS
5,967 Posts
Better off buying a new sports coupe for the speedrush. No sense in spending gobs of money on a heavy solara just to net 10-20hp.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts