Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a 2004 Toyota highlander limited V6 since I bought it brand new in 2004 and never had any problems. until the other morning I hit the unlock button on my key fob and nothing happens grabbed my other key same problem. I unlock it using the key and go to start it and nothing happens no lights turn on and it won't turn over and I have no idea what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think all the lights and instrument cluster are controlled by the body control module or the ECM. If they are not getting enough voltage then you will get nothing. You can try checking the brake lights as a quick power check.
I like to avoid jumping a car unless necessary so I would check the battery voltage with a DC voltmeter first. There are many malfunctions which can drain a good battery. If the battery is low then try jumping.

Just don’t try to put a battery charger on the battery without disconnecting the negative cable. Some chargers put out a high voltage spike which can damage the car electronics

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dead battery. Does the horn work? I don't d/c the negative post when charging. I set my charger to the lowest setting to connect it to the battery and then increase it to about 6 amps. If something's gonna sit for a while, I connect a Battery Tender.

You can get a free or very cheap multimeter from Harbor Freight. Download their app, there's usually a coupon. Been using them for years. Do mostly what you need and priced at free, they're not worth spending money for new battery when they die.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes, if you disconnect the battery then the ECM needs to relearn, as does the sunroof, and the entertainment needs to be reset unless you use a memory saver.
Probably most battery chargers won’t do damage but some could.
But if there is a low resistance in a system that drained the battery then the charger may run without charging the battery much.
Each to his own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts