·
Registered
KE70 Corolla
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Been a while...... :hi:

For those who say that the 7A cranks are weak,

at around 500hp at the wheels,

Although I don't believe it was a HP issue that caused it.
That crank has done about 4 1/2 seasons of racing,
and had been in two different blocks.

Anyway that was about 12 months ago,
and have been busy doing other stuff,

but it is now back together again ready to run.
Hope to do some laps in a few weeks to run it in and have a play with a form of traction contol that I want to play with.
Will also throw the second seat and belts in so I can take some passengers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mate that is an absolutely stunning car and lovely build.

Im building a car not too dissimilar at the minute and im weighing up my engine options. Currently they are between a stroked 4AGTE or some sort of 7AGTE (either 20v head or 16v head). In regards to the head is the 20v any more difficult than the 16v to fit onto the 7A. Also is there any sort of match between the bolt holes or does everything have to be custom or re-machined?

Also what size rims do you run? I have 225/45-15's with semi slicks that will go on the car for racing but a mate says that there is no way that 15's will put 350whp down properly even with a 3.9 diff. He says i need at least 16's but i dont really want to go that big.

Cheers :D

·
Registered
KE70 Corolla
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Mate that is an absolutely stunning car and lovely build.

Im building a car not too dissimilar at the minute and im weighing up my engine options. Currently they are between a stroked 4AGTE or some sort of 7AGTE (either 20v head or 16v head). In regards to the head is the 20v any more difficult than the 16v to fit onto the 7A. Also is there any sort of match between the bolt holes or does everything have to be custom or re-machined?

Also what size rims do you run? I have 225/45-15's with semi slicks that will go on the car for racing but a mate says that there is no way that 15's will put 350whp down properly even with a 3.9 diff. He says i need at least 16's but i dont really want to go that big.

Cheers :D
I would say a 7A would be way easier than a stroked 4A.
Both the 16V head and the 20V head bolt to the 7A block without any machining.
Just use the head gasket and headstuds to suit the head.

I run 17's on my car, 225 is as wide as we can go without more major bodywork,
and 17's are as big as we are allowed to run in my class.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cheers for the reply.

You mentioned you swapped out the cams. what spec cams did you use? do you have any pictures or the dyno results? have you made the boost come on a little earlier or does it work well only coming on like 4500-5000rpm?

Also do you mind if I ask how much the gearset cost? I reckon im going to end up with a w58 or one of the R15x series boxes as the 6 spd gertrag boxes are extremely expensive.

·
Registered
KE70 Corolla
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I dont have the specs of the cams, but were a set made by a NZ company specifically for a Turbo 20V, although they were probably designed for a Silvertop not a Blacktop.
I run them with adjustable cam wheels and did move them a bit on the dyno to find the best spot.

I reality it was a bit of a backwards step, as it made slightly more power top end,
but the lack of VVT lost quite a bit through the mid range.
I would probably not do that again and would run the standard cams and wheels with the timing off like it was originally.

I diddn't want a R154 as they change like a truck, and the 6 speed's were too expensive at the time and are too heavy.
I think the gearset was around $5k NZD

There was only 5 made as a run originally, but they are looking at doing another run of them,
but want to do a run of 20 or so to make it worth while.

·
Registered
KE70 Corolla
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Had another weekends racing at Teretonga last weekend in part of the NZ Motorsport Summer Series.

The class I was in was a combination of Sport Saloons/ OSCA, and Sports/Production GT,
But was also the first round of a 3 round series called the NZ Sport Sedan Challenge
which is two rounds in the South Island and 1 round at Hampton Downs?

Anyway 21 cars started the weekend in the race.

Qualifying
Qualifying was dry and I was getting used to the brakes with the new valve,
what a difference it made to them, firm accurate pedal first press every press.
I didn't think it was that cold but the tyres, especially the rears, took ages to get any traction and heat into them,
so I was not pushing it too much early on.
Did what I thought would have been a good lap or two and then came in.
Qualified 8th overall and first in class on a 1.05.5 so was really happy with that.
Results http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/2952344
Video

Race 1
Started from P8 which is the outside of the track and got a better jump that the EVO beside me,
but the WRX from behind came through between us and I got stuck on the outside,
so let them through and followed them into the corner as the outside around turn 1 is not generally a good idea at Teretonga.
Race went really well although the car seemed to struggle for grip at times.
Me and the EVO I was chasing appeared to be catching Harry Dodsons GTR at the end of the race
and I got a bit keen going into the last corner to get a good run out onto the straight,
and locked the rear wheels braking into the corner.
I thought I would end up off track and loose some spots as there was another EVO right behind me too,
but just managed to keep it on track and get out of the corner to finish 7th.
Results http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/2952366
Video

Race 2
Race 2 was wet. Very wet. Started P11 on Reverse grid split into two groups.
Got a good start for a 2WD car, but the gaps closed up and I could not see for the spray and windows fogging.
We had been a bit rushed to the dummy grid and had not sealed the car properly and the demister was not on the right angle,
so mid race I came in for a pitstop to get the screen wiped and demister tweeked as we were not going to go well anyway as a lot of the other top guys in my class had bought good new wets, while we were on really old tyres with some grooves on them.
Came back out of the pits 1 lap down and behind P3, but the safety car was out anyway and stayed that way till the end of the race so finished at the back.
You need to complete 75% of the race distance and cross the line to be classed as a finisher and get points, so in a 7 lap race you need to do 6 laps to finish.
Results http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/2952840
Video

Race 3
Race 3 was looking good.
We had found that the front splitter had not been inserted properly under the car and so that was causing lack of front downforce,
and that the rear wing angle was almost flat compared to where we usually run it for circuit events,
so we hoped that it would have soled the lack of grip issue from race 1.
It was a full reverse grid delayed start, and me and the Two EVO's from my class were starting together on about 40 second delay.
Unfortunately the gear lever broke off the start line and I ended up with 3rd gear for the whole race.
Being reverse grid all I could do was keep going and aim to finish,
but I actually managed to catch and pass a car so did not end up last again.
Did not want to hold the car on the limiter, and high revs with little load is not good for them either,
so used the clutch on the straights to keep it going.
Results http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/2953009
Video

Now fixing the gear lever and racing again this weekend at Levels in the next round of the Summer Series

·
Registered
KE70 Corolla
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Another weekend, another race event,

Second round of the Sports Sedan Challenge and the 4th round of the Sport Saloons Series.

Qualifying on Saturday morning wasn't the greatest,
Went out at the start of the session and had only really got the tyres up to temp and getting into it,
when an EVO powered Mirage tossed a rod on the front straight and went into the wall,
so they red flagged the session.
When they sent us back out we were given 5 minutes, which was only really 1 warm up lap and two flying laps.
Both of my Quick laps were held up by slower cars,
Having to pass a Red Commodore coming onto the front straight on one lap,
and coming up behind a Honda going slow across the line and having to brake way before the finish line
on what would turn out to be my fastest lap.
Anyway everyone must have has the same issue as I qualified 7th out of 19 cars
http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/2954660

Race one was a good race, Got a reasonable start and the race went well,
chasing Gary's EVO again for most of the race and ending up 7th overall.
http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/2954681

Race 2 was not so great, got away alright and was running great in the race,
was running with Harry dodsons skyline right behind me for a lap when we came across slower traffic.
Coming out of the hairpin 3 into the next corner did not fit and I got tangled with 2 slower cars,
Which resulted in a reasonable amount of damage and the RR guard rubbing hard onto the tyre.
Not wanting to have the tyre blowout and cause more damage
I slowed and was cautious for the rest of the race, finishing 10th still so mid pack.
There are some pictures at the end of the video of the damage.
http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/2955258

Race 3 was hard work. Due to good lap times earlier I was well back on the starting grid for the Handicap race.
Did not get off the line very good and spent the rest of the race trying to catch up.
Was still fun though, and the Corvette was right behind me all race until the last lap.
Finished 10th again.
http://www.mylaps.com/en/classification/2955401

If you can’t see the overlay data on the video’s try the quality settings or let me know as they seem to be fuzzy sometimes for me.

·
Registered
KE70 Corolla
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Had a good weekends racing at Timaru Last weekend running with the OSCA and Sport Saloons Series.

Qualified 5th overall and second in class by 0.3 seconds

Ended the weekend in the same, 5th overall and second in class.

Had a couple of really good races with some of the quicker cars,
The old style Tranzam cars are quick in a straight line,
but was really surprised at the corner speed of them. ( or lack of )
The best race was race 2 although it was the worst start I had all weekend.

Anyway here is some footage

Race 1

Race 2

Race 3

·
Registered
KE70 Corolla
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Been a while since any updates on here,

Was racing again last weekend in what is basically an open class,
I had a good weekends racing in the OSCA class last weekend.

Wasn't the quickest in qualifying as there was a lot of fast cars there that weekend,
and qualified P15 out of 24 cars in qualifying.

Race 1 was rolling start and I got a really good run through the first few corners to make it up to 10th,
and finished the race in 11th.
Race 1

Race 2 was split grid and I started mid pack.
Had a good run through the traffic and finished P4
Race 2

Race 3 was reverse grid handicap and I started mid pack again.
I was held up along the way a couple of times but pushed hard to finish 3rd in the end.
Race 3

·
Registered
KE70 Corolla
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
During the off season we have made some upgrades to the car.

New ECU and an Ethanol content sensor allows the use of ethanol blend fuel,
so we did a tune on E30 fuel.

Just under 100hp gain on the last tune,
50hp up in the midrange and 90hp up at the top end.

We have also changed to now run full race slick tyres,
first time ever to have new slicks on the car.

First race event on the new season is in a few weeks,
so prep is underway to make sure it is all ready to go.

·
Registered
KE70 Corolla
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
It has been nearly a year since the update.
New engine and slicks did not quite go to plan.
I did about 3 laps in qualifying, was just getting the slicks up to temp and getting used to the tyre,
and the car appeared to run a bearing.
We stripped it down and rebuilt it and improved the sump in case it was oil surge ( which we had never had before)
and tried again.
A few laps in at the next event and same again.
This time we stripped it down to find this.

Looks like the block cant take the extra power.
Probably due to the extra 20% of torque we got at 5500rpm.

So we have rebuilt again with a Girdle from MRP.

The engine is fully assembled ready too go,
but unfortunately due to an injury I have been unable to re-assemble the car,
and have been unable to drive, so have missed all the pre-season testing I had planned.

I will probably re-assemble later in the year hopefully and do some low key different events and miss this season of racing.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts