1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is my first post so I'll do my me/mines/mods

Me: 17 year old from Maryland
My ride: 1985 Toyota Cressida (mint condition)
Mods: Only a K&N high flow filter.

Anyway,
I just bought that filter today, and it did give a little bit more power. I was wondering what other mods I can do without turbo/supercharging. All I want is for the car to chirp a little when floored from a stand still.

Will High performance spark plugs/wires help gain power? Please give me any under the hood mods (no exhaust, or turbo/supercharing please).

Thanks a lot!

Edit: Forgot to say..It'a a 2.8L inline 6 w/ 124k miles

·
Resident asshole
Corolla
9,552 Posts
Will High performance spark plugs/wires help gain power?
Naah, not really, unless your old stuff are so worned out that its robbing power,but then its better to replace it with factory stuff.

·
JUST RE ENGINEER IT
98 Prizum
2,983 Posts
i dont think youll ever spin off a stop, the car is too heavy and not enough gearing with a small motor, try seeking a better geared rear end or looser torque converter. Or you can get a manual out of a supra :clap:

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
If it's got a limited-slip differential, it'll have a 4.10:1 rear end. Anything "better" and you'll be churning 3000rpm just cruising at 60mph :p:

Non-LSD cars have a 3.73:1 I think.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
Galvatron said:
Welcome to my world :-/ Damn 3 speed automatic.
If your talking about Cressidas they have 4 speed autos, and some until 1989 have a 5 speed manual.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
repinS said:
If it's got a limited-slip differential, it'll have a 4.10:1 rear end. Anything "better" and you'll be churning 3000rpm just cruising at 60mph :p:

Non-LSD cars have a 3.73:1 I think.[/QUOTE\]
Did Cressidas have an LSD back then?

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
Canadian-spec cars came with it standard. It was a rare option in the US up until 1989, where I think LSD may have been dropped altogether and only the Canadians got it.

and some until 1989 have a 5 speed manual.

Actually, 1987 was the last year that one could get a Cressida with a 5-speed manual transmission.

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,632 Posts
repinS said:
Canadian-spec cars came with it standard. It was a rare option in the US up until 1989, where I think LSD may have been dropped altogether and only the Canadians got it.

Actually, 1987 was the last year that one could get a Cressida with a 5-speed manual transmission.
Huh! I wonder if I could've got it on my 84. I didn't know they sold Cressidas in Canada.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts