Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In this evening, after I started my I4 AT camry xle's engine. I stepped on the brake pedal and tried to shift the gear from "P" to "D". But I was failed to do that. Then I took a look to the stoplight, and I find out the stoplight doesn't go on even I stepped on the brake pedal.

Even though I can make my camry move like others by pushing the shift lock override button, but this is a serious problem since the brake light won't turn on.

Does anyone have any idea of what happen to my camry? or any suggestion? Thanks,

·
Still confused...
95 camry coupe v6
2,304 Posts
seems like the sensor behind the brake pedal has gone numb and is not noticing that the pedal is depressed. the brakes themselves might work but the sensor is not sending a signal to the lights and to the transmission, therefore not allowing you to shift.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
check the brake switch behind the brake pedal...it's further up the braking arm....when you push down on the brake, the arm moves down and back, and depresses the switch

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you for your quick reply 95WhiteCamry and Eye8Pussies.

Eye8Pussies said:
check the brake switch behind the brake pedal...it's further up the braking arm....when you push down on the brake, the arm moves down and back, and depresses the switch
I will take a look to the brake switch. BTW, is the brake switch also the switch for unlock the shift lock?

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,897 Posts
im pretty sure yes, its the same switch the operates the lights and the shift lock.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
dennis118 said:
I will take a look to the brake switch. BTW, is the brake switch also the switch for unlock the shift lock?
Yup, it basically tells the computer that you have the brake down, and activated the brake lights and allows you to shift out of gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for you guys. Now I am pretty sure the stop light switch is broken. I hope it won't be expensive to replace.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts