Toyota Nation Forum banner

My A\C Compressor blew up! HELP!!!

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Tarzan 
#1 ·
Whats up.

Today while going to work, my compressor blew up! Well at first the a\c light on the dash started to blink and the a\c went dead!!! Then my dash died, gauges and all. I pulled of the highway to look and I see that the compressor blew up.

At first I thought it was the drive belt but when my friend checked it out, he told me it was the compressor. It was stuck and wouldn't turn the drive belt.

He took off the belt so my car would start up. But since the belt was not driving the alternator, I was running off my battery. I had to turn off all my accesorries like radio, etc. I barely had enough juice to make it to my nearest Toyota dealer.

When I got there, they comfirmed that it was the compressor and quoted me $1000 to fix. I was like are you on crack:mad: I am a student and I don't even have half that! So I left my car there and said I would sleep on it.

I did some research online and found new compressors and clutch for $500 and remanufactured ones on ebay for $150. So my question is, is this something I can do myself? I'm trying to save as much money as possible. I was thinking of buying the parts and have them install it.

I've got a 94 I4 camry w/auto.

Someone please help me out. Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah....you might wanna do that because your A/C is a pressurized system. Same thing happened to me tho'... the compressor bearings went out and the whole thing just locked. I didnt have the cash for a new Compressor so I just took it out and ran a shorter belt from the alternator to the crank :D

#5 ·
Thanks for all your suggestions guys!

Yeah....you might wanna do that because your A/C is a pressurized system. Same thing happened to me tho'... the compressor bearings went out and the whole thing just locked. I didnt have the cash for a new Compressor so I just took it out and ran a shorter belt from the alternator to the crank
Rasco,

I was thinking of doing the same thing. Where did you get the shorter belt to drive the alternator? Is it a belt for a non- a/c equiped camry?

#8 ·
Hey Nico,

Thanks for your help. I did what you said and I got a shorter belt to bypass the compressor and drive the alternator. My car is up and runnning again but with out a/c. Summer is ending anyway. Thanks again!:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.