Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first, I used 8 oz can of R134a and red dye leak detector /sealer (BIG MISTAKE!!)
The stuff leaked out in 1 week without leaving the trace.
Then I heard about pressure drop test with nitrogen.
I made test adapters to check the evaporator, compressor & condenser

Using nitrogen for leak testing:

Noted a drop in the pressure

Found the leak in condenser (the pressure went from 100 psi to 20 psi overnight(yellow spots)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4853463156_6420a0020d.jpg

Replaced condenser (shown undergoing the pressure test)

Tried to flush the PAG oil out (still have some in)
Assembled the system.
Added mineral oil - most likely overfilled, as every source has vague information (between 2 and 4 oz!!))

Found the junk vacuum pump and rebuilt it

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4082/4938474455_a7f94ebc9b.jpg

Now pulling the vacuum out

At first the vacuum went to 28 inches and stayed there. At 70 degrees F ambient it will not pull the vapors out. However, after opening and closing the gas ballast valve, the vacuum went down to almost 30 inches (which is about 29, considering the gage error). Although the pump did a very good job, vacuuming system without manifold will still introduce some air upon removal of the hose.

·
Registered
1990 Toyota Camry LE
159 Posts
This has to be the most thorough leak check I have ever witnessed/read. I would let you diagnose my AC concerns any day.

And if you get a little bit of air in... oh well. Nothing in this world is perfect. Certainly can't say its in there due to a lack of effort.

Sean

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the complements.
I will see how long my repair will last.
I used SCUBA tank for nitrogen , like I saw on Youtube.
One of the few drawbacks of having some air or nitrogen in (even really "dry") in the system is going to be the presence of very fine bubbles in the sightglass (like whitish fog), because the nitrogen will condense at much higher pressure then the R12 or R134a refrigerants. this will lead to overcharge, if someone will keep adding refrigerant in hope that glass will clear.
If the car will be 9 years "younger" then now, I will use manifold with gages, new condenser new expansion valve etc., etc.

·
Over 400 Camry's SOLD
89 Camry 4cyl 630k
131 Posts
Just found this thread and think I will make the same tool and test the 89 Camry I PM'd you about.
Wondering if the Heater Core thread shows how to get to AC Evaporator Componets?

Thanks Dr.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts