Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
long, with lots of pics. but i had to get a little creative with this.. hope you enjoy!

*Phase I:* install in my DC the equipment that i had pulled from my old car

JL Audio 300/2
JL Audio 500/1
Boston Acoustics Pro Series 6.53 components (3-way)
Boston Acoustics G5-10" DVC(4/4) subwoofer
Stinger HPM 0 to 4awg power distribution
Monster Cable XLN Pro interconnects
Navone Engineering competition line output converter 10v preamp (until HU install)

The amps were to be mounted behind the rear seats, while using as little space as possible.
Since the components are 3-way, i decided to build pods to hold the tweeter and mid while using the 6x9 spot to hold the 6.5 midbass. I didnt want to use the kick panels because of the exposure to getting "kicked". The 6.53 crossover is HUGE, so i had to cut out some of the foam on the back of the interior door trim and secure it with plumbers tape (i wanted to run only one line into the door (rather than have to fit 3 through the door jamb). The G5 sub is enormous and not a candidate for behind the seat mounting, but i love the way it sounds, so a simple box on the rear floor will do for now until i decide to spend the cash on a behind the seat setup (maybe the JL stealthbox).

This is a G5, for reference: :D

Sub box: small sealed, made from 3/4" MDF - its uncovered for the time being;

Monster XLN 10awg subwoofer cable; thick as my index finger

Amp rack: I played around with a bunch of different options and had to get really creative. it's sorta odd having the 500/1 inverted, but fit and access to the panel dictated the choice. it works, and i've checked and found no overheat problems

Power: stinger HPM platinum plated power connects; primary 0awg ANL fuse holder; 0 to 4awg ANL-fused distribution block; unfused 0 to 4awg dist block for ground; big 3 upgrade 0awg cable

Mid/tweet Speaker pods: 1/4" MDF baffles sandwiched together,

fiberglass backing contoured to door,

plastic rods glued to baffle for positioning.

then used felt to create the form then coated with resin;

used body filler to work out the imperfections sanded smooth to 180 sandpaper.

covered with 4-way stretch silver vinyl. NO it doesn't match the door perfectly, but it actually is similar to the stock tweeter bezel. i decided to use the same material for the arm rest and i like the way it looks in the end.

no longer have the original grills, so i took 1/8" steel rod, bent and spray painted black

Midbass speaker pod: the boston midbass performs better in a sealed enclosure, so i fabricated some small "pods" using 3/4" mdf baffle and a few coolwhip containers (i think someone posted this idea on here or another site).

I reinforced the pods by sandwiching fiberglass cloth and resin between two containers.

trimmed and sealed with silicone

pinch of dynamat xtreme for good measure

complete assembly

i had to run the wires to the inside of the door because of the crossover location (one of the wires is the main amplified line in, the other is the return from the crossover to the 6.5"

you can see how big the crossover is, and where i had to trim away some of the foam

i also had to trim the inner seal of the door panel in order to fit the pod

Finished product: i'm happy with how it came out, but i think i could have done a better job aiming the mid/twt pods. the pass side is pretty close to where i want it, but the driver could have been angled toward me more.

*Phase II* Coming soon!
Alpine 9887 w/ ipod cable
Alpine Imprint tuning module kit
scosche silver dash kit

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
That's some skilled work. Good job. I would have moved the tweeters up on the A pillar for better imaging but that's just me. Nice choice of drivers too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's some skilled work. Good job. I would have moved the tweeters up on the A pillar for better imaging but that's just me. Nice choice of drivers too.
yeah i was considering this, but i prefer to have the mid and tweet closer together. personal pref i guess. Also simplied things since this was my first foray into fiberglass work! :-D it's not perfect but i'm happy with how it came out

·
n00b
2,104 Posts
wow excellent work. i am trully speechless:clap::bowdown:

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma TRD
112 Posts
wish I could do that!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the props guys! :)

i'll admit a lot of the work on the pods (fiberglass and body filler shaping) was a learning process, and i had to just trial&error/learn-as-you-go. it was fun, but a pain in the butt at times. it's not perfect, but i'm really happy with the result. if anyone has questions or want some tips/advice, please post them and i'll try to help out!

-scott :D

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
awesomeness! you got some talent there man.

·
I AM THE LAW GIVAAAA!!!!
101 Posts
Yo Guy!!!!!!!!

SICK is the only word thats coming to mind at the moment.............................Yea, SICK.

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
:eek::eek: Holy shit. Can you say fabricate??

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
wow....that is all i can say, but where are you puttin the sub?
it's just sitting on the floor behind the driver seat facing forward. i get a nice massage on my lower back :D

i dont like having it take up the room, but it's going to stay that way until i come up with something for a behind the seat sub install (i also dont want to lose the storage space on the passenger side). i'm considering the JL stealthbox, but its mad cash, and i dont know how the sound will compare to the G5 i have. regardless, it's fortunate that i dont carry people in the back very often

tooblutacoma06 said:
Nice work dude! I give you props b/c I tried to work with fiberglass this summer and it was ridiculous! Indeed I was working on a much bigger project but still, I don't like the stuff.
yeah it't really tricky stuff. i tried using fiber matte, then gave up completely because it came apart in my hands as it stuck to my fingers. i switched over to cloth and that was much easier to work with IMO (at least for a simple mold)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice work indeed. And you eat a lot of Cool-whip.
haha.. the thought of eating all that made me ill, so i transferred it into some tupperware.. it's still sitting in my fridge.. i've never seen so much in one place before.. lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts