Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Killa Clean Gen 3
Camry
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got my GENUINE toyota Supra TT rotors today, DAMN they are huge! Not as heavy as I thought they would be, just looking at their design you can see toyota did alot to keep them light as possible. Only a couple pounds heavier then my stock rotors.

V6 calipers are next on the list.

Ahh, I love the smell of rotrs in the morning!:D

OH, just remembered, is there anything I can coat them with to prevent rust? Any special paints or anything? Thanks!

·
Searchin & Lurkin
25 Posts
Damn, that's the definition of clean... I never make it down to the Springs. I'll post some pictures of mine soon, hopefully.

About your rust question - doesn't WD40 inhibit rust? i'll bet that wouldn't be so good on the surfaces though (slip) and would probably come off after a few stops, but maybe you could use it to clean them from time to time? Anybody try this b4?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Green Dragon said:

About your rust question - doesn't WD40 inhibit rust? i'll bet that wouldn't be so good on the surfaces though (slip) and would probably come off after a few stops, but maybe you could use it to clean them from time to time? Anybody try this b4?
NOO! do not use wd40 it is an oil and that will make it slip whitch means no stoping,paint the hub and the rust is gone after you drive for a little bit so if you go somewhere no one will see rust,it only comes after sitting a bit

·
Killa Clean Gen 3
Camry
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:nana: if i wanted "genuine" rotors i would have gotten the ones with the kit that eric was selling cause they were from the same company but came slotted and dimpled
Well, I learned something today!:D

Oh well, it's all good, I wasn't even going to mess with the upgrade if I didn't get the rotors as cheap as I did.

Hopefully the entire job will cost under $200 when done.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes, be smart and paint those rotors before installing them. You can use engine paint, but whatever you use make sure it is high temp paint. Cheapest and best thing to get is a high heat enamel. Engine paint goes for like $5-10 for a single can. I used "Derusto" Heat Master Enamel Paint, in the flat black variety. The store chain "Big Lots" actually carries this paint and it is about $1-2 per can. It resists heat up to 1000 degree F. PERFECT FOR ROTORS and even calipers. This paint would frequently be used on grills, high heat stoves, gas lanterns, etc.

I recommend that you paint both the edge of the rotor and the outer and inner hub surface. Also, do yourself a favor and don't bother masking off anything. Your brake pads will eat this stuff up in a single braking event. Obviously, don't do 15 coats on the friction surface (use common sense). But any overspray will NOT hurt a thing. In fact, believe it or not it may actually help quiet your brakes (sounds crazy, but it fills in pad irregularities). This will also ensure that your rotors are rust protected all the way to where the pad grabs.

NOTE: Make sure that the rotors are free of all oil and residue before painting.

cheers
-AdamS

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
wouldnt letting the pads scrape off the paint decrease stopping power? if you say that the paint would fill the pad irregularities and make them quieter, that means the pads are smoother and wouldnt bite into the rotor nearly as well and just slip. that could be dangerous :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts