Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brakes are starting to make noises and smell like burning. I think I may have gone too long before changing the pads. Is it likely I'll need to also replace the rotors? How can I check for sure? I searched the archives for recommendations on pads and rotors, seems like Brembo rotors and PBR Ultimate ceramics might be a good setup, though on the more expensive side. It's the wife's car so it doesn't have to perform like a race car. Is the setup I've described more geared towards performance than day to day boring commuting?

I appreciate your comments.

Bark

·
Grenaded piston
6,580 Posts
Barksquire said:
Is it likely I'll need to also replace the rotors? How can I check for sure?
You might need to replace the rotors depending on the condition.

If theres any cracks, warping, or deep grooves you need to replace them.

If there still in good condition, you can have them turned.

To check the rotors for warping & thickness you use a micrometer. There should be a number stamped into the backside of the rotor, that number is the minimum thickness.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes there is a little bit of a shimmy when braking, is there any other way to tell if they are warped? I mean, can the naked eye tell or does it require a machine to measure warping?

Where can I get a micrometer?

Thank you!

·
Grenaded piston
6,580 Posts
Barksquire said:
I mean, can the naked eye tell or does it require a machine to measure warping?
You need a micrometer or a special jig to hold the rotor and a dial indicator to measure the runout (amount of warping).

Where can I get a micrometer?
Sears should have them.

This is what it looks like:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts