Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1991 3SFE Toyota Camry
1991 Toyota Camry
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes my CAI came from the USA ( shipped to OZ ) today and i'm syked, should be fitted by this weekend if i can find the time.. work is taking over my life :thumbdown , got it from ebay ( from el proto types ) i guess el proto is still selling their stuff on ebay here is the link to their ebay sotre : http://stores.ebay.com/ELPrototypes

these is still a 87-91 3SFE camry CAI avaliable (one left, and they dont make them any more) from there ebay store @ this link :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=190049231900

thought it may help someone who wanted one, and to those who thought they were out of business.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,641 Posts
I would describe them as 'almost' out of business. The owner now has another job and only goes by the shop once a week or so... I work a block away and drive by sometimes to see if anything is going on.

If you need anything from them, get it ASAP, as you might not have a chance again.

-Charlie

·
1991 3SFE Toyota Camry
1991 Toyota Camry
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shown with red silicone adaptors ganna look sweet in the engine bay :)

yes theres a bit of a red theme going on the match the cars paint :)

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
might wanna get a decent air filter while ya at it :p

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
mine came with a k&n filter

·
Gen2s FTW!!!
78 Posts
I dont even know why people spend more money on brand filters, there is just not any/ significant diference to the cheap ebay fiters. That red filter will work just fine.

·
1991 3SFE Toyota Camry
1991 Toyota Camry
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i agree knot5000 it wont make a difference brand name or not, plus i'm not spending like 150+ AUD for an air filter... at the least it will be better than the stock box. will post picks once its in the engine bay.

·
Going to rainforest, BRB
2014 Tacoma 4x4 RC
1,550 Posts
Not seeing how that's gonna work, Marty. :confused:

I see that the square flange will bolt up to the AFM, but the rest of it looks way too long.
Where does it place the air filter?

BTW: love your header in that pic! :D

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
africanmarty said:
i agree knot5000 it wont make a difference brand name or not, plus i'm not spending like 150+ AUD for an air filter... at the least it will be better than the stock box. will post picks once its in the engine bay.
knot5000 said:
I dont even know why people spend more money on brand filters, there is just not any/ significant diference to the cheap ebay fiters. That red filter will work just fine.
K&N pods only cost $50.

the problem with cheap dry filters is as soon as it gets splashed with water (and it will being a cai) say hello to no filtration (deteriorated paper) and blockage (gunked up paper) at the same time.

the oil on wet filters keeps the gunk OFF the cotton, also being designed as a wet filter means it can handle a bit of water.

·
1991 3SFE Toyota Camry
1991 Toyota Camry
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HomeGrown said:
Not seeing how that's gonna work, Marty. :confused:

I see that the square flange will bolt up to the AFM, but the rest of it looks way too long.
Where does it place the air filter?

BTW: love your header in that pic! :D

thanks :) there is a hole under the fuse bose wich the pipe with the filter will go through, it puts the tube with filter through the engine bay into the fender. When its installed it will look like this :

http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img05419jo.jpg

thats the same CAI installed in atobes camry :)

·
Going to rainforest, BRB
2014 Tacoma 4x4 RC
1,550 Posts
Ok, I see now.

That engine bay looks like new... wish mine looked that good. :sosad:

BTW: do you know anything about the strut brace in that pic? Looks like something I should check into. :cool:

·
All show, no go
91 camry 4cyl DX
80 Posts
id like to see what that looks like on the car, cause i cant see all that piping being fit into a gen2 engine compartment..

here is what mine looks like, tho still gotta replace that other red coupler, never actually went to pick up another blue one...

p.s. - dont mind that wire, had that disconnected cause i had to jump my batt cause i left my interior neons on all night.. :clap:

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
do you want my strut bar homegrown ?? i don't use it anymore... i use a ES 250 strut bar now.. you can get those at the junk yard for cheaper.. and it doesn't get in the way when you do an oil change and spark plug works..

·
Registered
907 Posts
Atobe, in the pic marty refered to, I noticed a yellow wire goig to a gold canister that is tee'd into I think what is the temp sensor spot? If you know what I'm talking about, what is that for?

Also I haven't seen any ES250's around the yards buy me, any ideas on where I can get an ES 250 front strut bar?

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
^^^ that's for my oil pressure gauge... junk yard is all i can think of.. the one in the picture is off ebay for 20$ :eek::

·
All show, no go
91 camry 4cyl DX
80 Posts
that is so odd...

and there is how much more airflow comming into the fender rather than the old airbox area?

with how that installation looked, i think ill stick with the aluminum piping.

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
it's not about the air flow because the engine sucks it up anyways... it's about the temp... it's suppose to be colder air... colder = denser = more boom

·
The Other White Meat
Holden Apollo
3,741 Posts
atobe said:
it's not about the air flow because the engine sucks it up anyways... it's about the temp... it's suppose to be colder air... colder = denser = more boom
+ debate vs pressure loss + real gains with cold air + shiney new filter :)

cold air, short ram, no filter, makes no real difference on the v6 :) shortening the distance between the AFM and TB on the other hand...

·
Gen 2 Pimp
446 Posts
I remember when I had the first one of these test fitted to my car before they were put into production. At that time it was so difficult trying to get Gen 2 owners to pony up 160 bucks to start a group buy and actually get a CAI for the Gen 2's in production.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts