Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and my girlfriend are driving down to Columbia, about 70 miles south of my house, to go to the state fair. well about 10 miles north of Columbia, i start to loose speed, i step on the gas, and nothing happens, then the engine cuts off!:mad:

I narrowly miss being plowed into by traffic, and get pulled over to the shoulder. Car is dead at this point, all the dash lights are on, the car is stalled. I try and crank her up, nothin, engine cranks but wont turn over.:mad: Pop the hood, nothin out of the ordinary. i start pokin around, but, since i have no tools with me!:mad: there's little i can do besides poke it. I start walkin around lookin at the car, and after about 20min of trying to figure out what the fuck happend, i decide its time to break down and call for help.

I grab my cell phone, and what do ya know, !!!!!NO FUCKING SIGNAL!!!! I look over at my girlfiend and tell her that I hope she's got some signal on hers, otherwise my ass has got to walk about 4miles back to the last exit. :mad: Her phone had just barely enough for me to get ahold of my dad and tell him where i was, before it died.

About an hour later, my dad shows up, he looks at it, dont know whats wrong, so we drive into this dinky ass small town, and find a shop where we call a tow truck. The guy comes out, tows my car and charges me $50 for the privilage. he towed it maybe 2 miles. We get back to the shop, where they go "its the timing belt," then they actually look at it and go "oh wait, no its not, But we're going home now, we will be back in on Monday, and we'll let ya know what we find out. "

So to sum it up,
Car breaks down
Engine cranks but wont start up
My car now sits 60miles from my house in a shop located in the parking lot of a Mcdonalds
I have no car till at least monday.

!!!!SON OF A FUCKIN BITCH IS ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT!!!!

Any Ideas on what could be wrong?

·
93 Z24 and 78 Bronco
1993 z24
4,025 Posts
sounds like something to do with the timing, happened to me same deal, about 100kms from home, pushed the car 1.5km down the highway with 2 of my buddies

turns out it was the pin that holds the cam gear to the camshaft sheared, all that for a 3 cent pin...

this was in my 86 volvo 740 wagon :smokin:

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we think its either something with the timing, like the belt slipped, but i think thats unlikely, because the belt only has about 40k miles on it. or the fuel pump or fuel pump relay.

·
Banned
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
1,290 Posts
Yeah, a similar thing happened to me when my flexplate broke. But when I tried to start it up, you could hear it just spinning so if it sounds normal when you try and start it up(except that it just won't turn over), it is probably something else.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
Damn that sux. Hope yopu get it up and running soon.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looked into that, it would cost me about $250 to get it towed that far. almost 70 miles, just to get it back to my house, plus another 15 to get it to my mechanic.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THATS ANOTHER THING!

When my dad gets there, he tells me that a few days ago he got the forms to get AAA, but he hadnt sent them in.

He also told me last month when i changed insurance companies not to worry about getting tow coverage, because he was getting AAA!

·
Registered
Scion XA
655 Posts
sounds to me like a fuel pump shit the bed on ya. i had this happen with one of my older cars sucks just looses power and then nothing. all your electricals work and wants to start but since no fuel it can't. so more than like its a fuel pump.

·
Its freakin hot here...
2002 Ford ZX-2
466 Posts
a94autoCamry said:
meh, it could be worse.:hammer:

you could have broken the timing belt LOL. that would have sucked, you knwothe shop where its at would RAPE you on that, especially since they know that its to far away to have it towed anywhere competent enough to do the job.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Dude, UHaul car dragger and a SUV (sorry!) or a truck, and you could have it at your house for gas + $20-30 rental fee on the car hauler!!!

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,959 Posts
^that's a very good idea:thumbup:

1.is it getting spark?
a.if not check the connections on the ignitor
b.it could be the coil itself
2.is it getting fuel?
a.do you hear the fuel pump?
3.does it sound like it want's to start?

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its sitting at the shop now, so i cant check any of those things. Its not the coil, that was replaced recently.

didnt have a chance to check to see if its getting spark.

we pulled the timing belt cover off, and when we tried to start it, the belt would turn, so it is trying to start.

when you try and start it, it sounds like its going to start, but it doesnt. Like when you have a dying battery, and there isnt enough juice to start the car. but its not the battery or the alternator, as they are only like a month old, and you can try and start the car as much as you like.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea, thats what im thinking too.

How much do you think this is going to set me back? and can it be done in a day?

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
Camry's have a lil condensor inside the distributor that melts and creates a near identicle result. This is very cheap/easy/fast to replace if it's the problem.

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
triple A, have towed to your mechanic, pay extra charges, car gets fixed by someone you trust

·
OLD TN dude
62 Posts
Im with 2wickedtoys on this one....Definitely sounds like fuel/ignition problem. Does your car have a fuel filter? Im inclined to the ignition (Coil?) being the culprit.
MCTOY

1 - 20 of 24 Posts