Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to work today, and it was fairly early (9 AM on a Sunday) and the streets were quiet. There was a intersection I needed to make a left at, so I got on the gas and took it nice and fast, but still smooth and safe. I come around the corner (no tire noise or anything) and THE BACK END STARTS TO COME AROUND!!! Not a lot, just a little, like what might happen in a Mustang or other RWD car. No biggie, while my 'preformance driving' is nill, I gave it a little countersteer, kept on the gas (to not throw off the balance) and the car straightned back out (with some less than desirable bouncing, the car was NOT made to do that!)

My conclusion is the Whiteline rear sway bar, and the fact I was cookin going around the corner (I was probably going 40 when 20 would have been a moderate speed) I have felt the back end 'want' to step out, but this is the first time I have gotten some real rotation (as in, half way to parking it)

All I can say was there was a smirk on my face for a few minuites after that.

:thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have to figure - this is the first car I have ever driven that has what approaches having 'power to spare' - so this stuff is all new to me.
 

·
4u2nv
Joined
·
1,498 Posts
Yeah, after I installed my trd swaybar, i was just fulling around and a similar thing happened to me. For ppl who live in T.O , I always fool around at the Shepard Exit when you're coming Westbound. It road has the perfect curve. Thats where I first tested out my swaybar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UfoZ8myCow said:
Haha... that happened at the racetrack in my car last weekend... All it means is that you went into the turn too hot with a suspension that was too soft and/or tires that dont grip well enough. I wont deny that its fun though. :D
Well, my tires (in the proper size) would be more suited for a M3 than a Camry (good Falken's), and my suspension is stock (struts with 83k miles) - so I think I know what was at fault ;)

Yes, I was bookin' it into the corner, knowing I had some room if things went wrong, but I was expecting at least some understeer, so I was aiming for the INSIDE of the exit (ideal for understeer), however, with the oversteer, I should have been on the outside of the exit - again, it was all good and one of the many little lessons you learn on your path to mastering driving.

I need to find a parking lot and see if I can get some more oversteer. Oversteer is cool, understeer is not.
 

·
nub
Joined
·
313 Posts
i felt that all the time before i fixed my rear struts...going almost straight, at about 40, hit a bump and woosh...

that caused my accident
 

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
Joined
·
674 Posts
go to an auto-x and try out the oversteer, much safer to learn the limits of your car and only costs around $20 :)

oversteer is fun, but not cool on the streets...there are many factors you cannot account for on the pavement and one little bump can make you really loose it. that's why an auto-x is the place to be...controlled environment where you can really feel out the car, the oversteer & understeer & what happens when you spin out.

Keri
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ripley's99 said:
go to an auto-x and try out the oversteer, much safer to learn the limits of your car and only costs around $20 :)

oversteer is fun, but not cool on the streets...there are many factors you cannot account for on the pavement and one little bump can make you really loose it. that's why an auto-x is the place to be...controlled environment where you can really feel out the car, the oversteer & understeer & what happens when you spin out.

Keri
Let me put it this way. What I did today is WAY WAY WAY outside normal or even spirited driving. One of 'my' turns is a nice 90-degree merge lane and I drive it everytime I leave my house, so I have done it HUNDREDS of times, and I push it as hard as I can (safely), and mid-apex, there is a big bump, and the car jolts, but the handling is fine.

I don't know. Hi-end audio gear or car mods. I CAN'T DECIDE!!! :mad:
 

·
That Geeky Star Wars Girl
Joined
·
674 Posts
i would vote for suspension mods myself since this oversteer pleases you so much...

Keri
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UfoZ8myCow said:
Pshh... How do you even have to think about that???
Because a $2,000 pair of Klipsch's and a nice amp is pure bliss.

I think everyone at some point in there life should be able to sit infront of a good system just to experience it.

I am still in a bind. I CAN mod my car, but it will always be a Camry. I still want to get a Japanese car with a turbo in it that is either RWD or AWD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
kenratboy said:
Oversteer is cool, understeer is not.
Both can be very dangerous on the street, and just remember that the way to correct oversteer in a FWD is very different from a RWD car.

I've been in a few (unintentional) situations with serious oversteer on a public road, and it can be pretty scary. (Neither situation was in the Camry BTW.)

Having experience with how your vehicle handles in similar situations definitely helps, so parking lot (or preferably auto-x) time is very important, especially as you make changes to your setup...

HTH -

DJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I understand oversteer is a lot more dangerous than understeer, and that is why car companies setup non-sport cars to have a understeer tendency.

What is the proper method of correcting oversteer in a FWD car?
 

·
Auto-Cross Addict
Joined
·
3,837 Posts
kenratboy said:
Well, my tires (in the proper size) would be more suited for a M3 than a Camry (good Falken's), and my suspension is stock (struts with 83k miles) - so I think I know what was at fault ;)

Yes, I was bookin' it into the corner, knowing I had some room if things went wrong, but I was expecting at least some understeer, so I was aiming for the INSIDE of the exit (ideal for understeer), however, with the oversteer, I should have been on the outside of the exit - again, it was all good and one of the many little lessons you learn on your path to mastering driving.

I need to find a parking lot and see if I can get some more oversteer. Oversteer is cool, understeer is not.
Oversteer is fun, but traction and smooth cornering is even better:)


Auto-X 4 Life!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SmokingTiresV6 said:
Oversteer is fun, but traction and smooth cornering is even better:)


Auto-X 4 Life!
Hell yeah, I am all about driving properly, but it sure is fun to play around. I remember snowy parking lots and handbrake turns. Oh so fun :D
 

·
Boss Honky
Joined
·
2,703 Posts
EKam said:
Just be extra cautious when it's raining. :thumbup:
I'm goning to have to agree whole heartly with dickson! For example I have a 97 Camry 5SFE and I have the front and rear whitline sway bars(courtesy of CTMotorsports thankd Shaun) and the other day it had just rained alittle bit, and I did the same thing you just did and well I did not get alittle bit of oversteer I got alot of oversteer, almost like drifting but not quite. Needless to say becareful when it rains........this happened to me on a exit ramp onto the highway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
324 Posts
kenratboy said:
Yes, I understand oversteer is a lot more dangerous than understeer, and that is why car companies setup non-sport cars to have a understeer tendency.

What is the proper method of correcting oversteer in a FWD car?
A lot of it depends on the individual situation (speed, runoff space, how much the car is oversteering, etc.), but here's one school of thought:

If you've induced oversteer by lifting off the throttle, you can get back on the throttle to straighten things out. By accelerating, you'll be transferring weight back to the rear tires (which need to regain traction). It's a delicate balance, because you don't want to accelerate so hard that your front tires completely wash out (understeer). Like you've mentioned before, nothing beats trying out the handling characteristics of your car in a safe, controlled environment...

HTH -

DJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let's say for what I did. Take a corner fast, and when I should have straightned out, I kept turning. What I did was keep on the gas (keep balance) and give about a quarter turn of countersteer (which was about right)

What should I have done differently?
 

·
Zzzz
Camry
Joined
·
2,255 Posts
kenratboy said:
Let's say for what I did. Take a corner fast, and when I should have straightned out, I kept turning. What I did was keep on the gas (keep balance) and give about a quarter turn of countersteer (which was about right)

What should I have done differently?
be careful that you don't oversteer in the other direction when you countersteer.
I should imagine that if you'd countersteer a bit too much, in the right conditions you could fishtail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am well aware that people freak out and will start turning the wheel to LOCK when they loose control - which just means, as soon as the fronts gain traction, they will be off in the other direction.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top