Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Super deluxe Happy member
Toyota camry 3gen
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
yay, finally I can can drive my camry again. It turns out it was the distributor/coil causing the starting problem and hesitation. Not shocking at all, but the story about how it got fixed is interesting however.

So I decided to take the car to Toyota to diagnose the problem, big mistake. It took them three days and $170 to figure out it was the distributor, but it gets better, they couldnt tell me anything more than that it was the distributor, I was told there was no way to test the components. BS, All they did was put a new on and it worked, so then they took it off and put the broken one back on and called me :disappoin. Unbelievable, so I'm then told well if you want us to replace it, it'll be $892 + the $170 for the diagnosis. So almost $1100.. lol, Somehow I was still polite and just asked for my keys and the bill.

That was the interesting part, from there, I ordered a whole brand new distributor from carquest for $241, got it the next morning and had my mechanic put it in for $100.

I've got to say Toyota was a nightmare, at first it seemed on the up and up, but that was clearly a scam. Why not call me when the new distributor was in? or why not rip me off for an obscene amount of money? My mechanic said the part if bought directly from Toyota was $429, Toyota told me it was roughly $600. and apparently from my calculations would take 7 hours at $70/hr. wtf Here I went to them because I thought they would be the best, well never again.

oh and btw my distributor cap was the correct one all along, which leaves me really confused, but I'll stop thinking about it.

Just glad she runs again....

· Registered
73 Posts
Glad to hear the car is working again! I would rather have a broken down car than take it to a Toyota/Ford/Chevy dealer. I cringe even taking it to my honest, independent mechanic.

Hell freezes over :thumbup:

Bring my vehicle to a dealer for repair :thumbdown

· R.I.P. '95 Camry LE V6
'95 Toyota Camry LE
1,265 Posts
that why they got a the name STEALERship..

· Super deluxe Happy member
Toyota camry 3gen
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anything, this problem did force me to do a complete tune up trying to figure out what was wrong. That and I must put this in perspective, since I bought the car, all I had to pay someone to do was a timing belt and this...over the last 100,000mi, not bad. The rest of the maintenance I've managed to do on my own.

I'm not too upset, but I figured people should know what they tried to do. It's obviously not just toyota, but a lot of dealers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.