Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some advice or recommendation. I have 2018 Toyota Avalon with 46,000 miles. I take VERY good care of it. Ive got got a warranty I purchased when I bought the car and one provided by Toyota but I don't think it'll cover this..
My interior dashboard is similar if not exact to the 2017 model.
PROBLEM: I noticed right above the CD player(see picture) the silver trim molding has started to bubble. It's lifting from the bottom. The area is about 1/4 of an inch. It is very small at this point.
* Do I need to replace all of the interior silver trim?
*Can I just try to adhere the bottom piece without completing destroying more of the trim and black dashboard?
*Should I just leave it alone?

IF ANYONE HAS ANYTHING THEY CAN ADVICE, TIPS, OR RECOMMENDATIONS I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT.
Automotive design Vehicle Radio Audio equipment Satellite radio

·
PJSMITH
1,658 Posts
My dealer covered this under the original manufacturer warranty

·
Registered
28 Posts
To be totally honest, you should shop around online with some of these salvage yards if you're interested in replacing the piece, there are lots available. Right now I'm looking for a front bumper because the bottom right corner of my 15 TAL caught a cement block in a parking spot and has an inch crack in it. The other solution could be to sand it very lightly with ultra fine grit sand paper to remove the bubbling, so you don't misshape it, then wrap it in a color you like or is tolerable to you. Then you can wrap all the trim if it suits your taste (in piano black, matte silver, dark brushed silver, lots of options and quite popular).

Food for thought.

·
Premium Member
2014 Avalon Limited
476 Posts
Most Gen 4's have this problem.. The extreme 140 degree inside temp's just melt the thin coated chrome film backing. I could only wish our 13 and 14's could still look as good as yours. Leave well enough for now. Stop focusing on it. Or buy a new one from Toyota for 400 dollars and wait till you absolutely can't stand the look of it anymore .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Been thinking about wrapping all of that stuff in Satin Dark Gray 3M vinyl, sand it, repair it a bit where its bubbled any, first, then wrap, no sharp or weird edges.

I've noticed mine(2015 TAL/59k) is doing it a little, I am lucky enough to garage park mostly and also live in the PNW so not terrible with the weather but still, its cheap plastic meant to look nice for 3yr/36k at best, lol, sad but true.

·
Premium Member
2014 Avalon Limited
476 Posts
You will need to be very careful to remove that ttim. It's very thin at some points. If it doesn't come out easily, you might have to take half the dash apart to get it out without breaking it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thought to see from that picture but it looks like something very small that no one but you would notice, and that stinks, but personally I wouldn’t mess with it until it got to the point where you could pay someone to wrap that entire trim area a different color. Or maybe you could just search for a silver paint stick, or something you could barely touch it up with, otherwise I think you’re in for a bigger job...and is that worth it if it’s only something you notice? Maybe. Maybe not.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
be thankful ;) that yer Toyota is not old enough to find this interior part totally discontinued and unavailable to find in new or like-new condition
what will be in 2043 is anybodys guess!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts