Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I would share what I made last weekend. It houses a 12" Polk Audio MM series shallow sub. Started on the 3rd, finished everything including the wiring on the 6th. The box is a little overkill but oh well. The whole thing is 3/4" MDF and on the front panel I have 2 layers so 1.5" total. I mounted the sub to the interior panel to keep the sub flush with the outer panel and to keep enough clearance between the seat back and the sub for woofer movement.

Here is a pic taken on the 4th shortly after I finished the enclosure, Ill take more pics tomorrow of it in the truck and upload them. It's a sealed enclosure currently with no poly fill. Debating whether to port it or just add some poly fill. Some songs sound *grrreat! while others are so-so.

*Courtesy of Tony the Tiger :D

04/13/09 10:10 pm Pics uploaded
The box isn't covered in carpet yet or anything of that nature. As for now I figured I would just leave it, I am the only one that will ever see it anyways, besides you all here of course :)

But its sealed very well and holds the amp and cap. The amp and cap were from Fry's, nothing special, 1400 watt 2-channel, 2-farad cap. They were on sell, so....

Should be enough clearance, haven't had any trouble with it yet. With the seat back folded down, the sub hits the cushion, therefore I can only run the stereo with the seat in the upright position. No biggie for me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean other songs sound so-so?

Is it the sub or just the type of song?
To be honest with the sub all my music sounds way better. Just comparing this sealed enclosure to my ported enclosures ive had in my past vehicles, certain bass notes just seem different. Could also be the song, not all my music is cd quailty. Overall though I am very pleased with the outcome.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
For a single sub, that box is already huge, you don't need poly fill for that. Keep it sealed, give it some good power and you'll be happy with it. The reason it sounds like crap on some songs (comparitively) is probably because you didn't do the math and tune it. No worries, just one tone will be the loudest and the rest will fall behind. The average listener wouldn't know what the hell you're talking about.

I would keep it sealed for sure though. Porting it wont do crap for you when its sitting behind the seats. You're more likely the hear the sound of air moving through your seats on lower bass. Sealed will be best all around, it sounds ten times better on rock//metal music, and overall way cleaner. On top of that, its only gonna throw off your sound even more than it is. I've done a few stereos myself, but nothing beats a large sealed box IMHO. Yours looks great. Now throw some rhino line or somethiing to protect that fiberboard and show us some final pics!

edit: I'm sure some will argue me on the poly fill. I know what it does, and I've never used it. I do however know that you should make your choice depending on the power you put through it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All Polyfill does is give the sub the illusion that there is more airspace that there really is. if the box is to big and you add polyfill it will just make it sounds worse. if the box is to big you can add internal blocks to eat up some air space and it will tighten up the sound of the driver. do you know what the airspace of the box is, and the model number of the sub?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the info page for the Polk Sub http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/mm/subwoofers.php?s=overview-subs#mm1240

Yeah, Ill probably never port, would be pointless being behind the seat like you mentioned. As far as the interior volume, I haven't even bothered calculating that, the deepest interior part on the bottom is about 5-6 inches, the top, 1.5 inches. The box is huge but it is 3/4" MDF so the actual interior volume I am guessing is about 1 Cubic foot, maybe a little more. Like I said, haven't bothered with the calculations, so just a guess.

The more I listen to it, it sounds really good. I do need to pinpoint a few rattles in my truck now and take care of those. They don't help the music any.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts