Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the truck i just bught. a 90 4x4 extra cab, I need to put a catalytic converter in. (yeah i know, why put one in) The truck has a flowmaster muffler, not sure what one. But the guy who put it in cut the wires for the o2 sensor, not sure why. So what should i do, buy an exhaust system? or jus thave them cut the piping that is there now and weld in a bung for the 02 and also weld in a cataltyica converter? The middle of the truck seems so have slightly larger piping into the magna flow adn then stock after that. Ok thanks

·
Georgian Pickup Drifter
1991 Toyota Pickup
933 Posts
You can add the cat or a hollowed cat, and the bung for the 02 sensor if you want. Later on you might want to upgrade so all piping is the same diameter or you might wanna do it now. Just whatever you have the budget for. Depending on where you go the first option shoul be the cheapest.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im still learning more about these trucks and finding out about produts for them... I think i would prefer to spend the money now and just upgrade the piping and get an exhaust system that would already have room for a cat and also have all the fitting i would need for the 02. What brands of exhaust are good brands for these trucks? Thanks

·
Registered
1992 Toyota Pick Up
489 Posts
Some people are going to chime in on what exhausts are good. As far as mufflers I mean. Really, just go to a shop and have some piping bent there for you, and have him hook you up with a SCREW IN O2 bung, with mounts to put the cat in, and have him weld your muffler on for you. If your required to have a cat and pass emissions in LV, then by all means have a working cat put in. If you don't have to pass any emissions, just go straight 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 Mandrel Bent from before the O2 back to your muffler, then out and piss on the cat. If you don't have to have it, then why have it, right? :)

I replaced my O2 with a screw in type when I got my exhaust put up, but didn't have the funds at the time to do it right; so my system has more welds then I'd like. I have 2 1/4" from 6" before the O2 without a cat, into a 2 1/4" flow 40 with offset/center design, and a dump before the rear axle. The guy was nice enough to angle my muffler with the frame rail, to hide it some.

Save up the money the guy estimates you first, then go in and have it all done at once so there are less welds, and more solid un-cut piping. Chop it off 6" before the O2, then have all new piping from there back in 2.25 or 2.5 without a cat and whatever muffler you decide on. Do get Mandrel bent piping instead of crush bent. If your feeling nice to yourself, get stainless steel as well!

Popular exhaust are-

Cherry Bomb Turbo
Flowmaster 40, 50, 60
Some Magnaflow
Pacsetter (I think?)
Others will chime in!

Hope this helps! I'll get a picture of my setup tomorrow for you to look at...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im thinking about maybe buying some thorley headers and from what i have been reading just go and get an exhaust made like you suggested. I do need a cat for LV, i dont want to pay extra every year to pass a smog test. I figure in the long run i ould pay more to pass then i will to just have a cat put in. If i dont buy the headers, I will just have them make me a header-back exhaust. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1992 Toyota Pick Up
489 Posts
Well, in that case. Just have all the stuff you need to have put in when you to get it made. Have your cat, and new screw in O2 sensor so your only at the shop once. since you're getting a cat, try not to have it just welded in. See if he can't put on some flanges that way it's easier for you or someone else to swap it out later in life, by simply unbolting it instead of having to chop the exhaust up.

Or, you could always have him mock you up a straight piece to go in place of the cat, for the 364 days you don't get a smog check! :)

Hell, you gain 2-3hp, and I can guarantee if you have a 22re or 3vze...your gonna need those! :lol:

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
I second everything carbonrevo said... :D

I don't run a cat either and there are no drawbacks to doing so. The exhaust stinks a little but I still stand by the fact that a well tuned truck without a cat pollutes less than a shitty running one that smoked with.

I have a custom made exhaust on mine and it's great. That one mod alone made a bigger difference than anything else I did to the truck as far as power increases.

I have a 14" magnaflow and it's just a little quieter than a flowmaster 40 but has very much the same tone. I'm pretty happy with it but it can be a little obnoxious at times.

If you have to get a cat, look around for a high flow maganaflow cat. I think Summit sells them for a reasonable price. They are supposed to keep you legal at a very minimal restriction. If you go to a shop that deals maganaflow they may stock those too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool, thanks for the help. Ok now, are our 02 sensors not usually the screw-in type? remember i mentioned the previous owner cut tthe wires for the 02... how many sensors do our trucks have? i am assuming it would be only one but im not sure

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
1 screw in O2 sensor right before the cat in the downpipe...

And its hard to believe that truck is even driveable without it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Really? I do have a check engine light on. Im sure the ECU kicks into some kind of safe mode correct. It is slow as heck, or is that just the nature of the truck?

·
Georgian Pickup Drifter
1991 Toyota Pickup
933 Posts
Personally I love the sound of Japanese mufflers as apposed to American made pieces. Tanabe, HKS, etc. have universal mufflers. That might be up your alley. On another not though, I have heard good comments about the Bosal exhaust. Don't know though as I haven't heard it yet.

·
Registered
1992 Toyota Pick Up
489 Posts
bent240LV said:
cool, thanks for the help. Ok now, are our 02 sensors not usually the screw-in type? remember i mentioned the previous owner cut tthe wires for the 02... how many sensors do our trucks have? i am assuming it would be only one but im not sure
Unless some has already done the work and replaced the O2 with a screw in, you won't have a screw in. For some unknown reason, toyota is the ONLY car company to use an O2 that slides over two threaded studs, and then bolts down. Normally when you try to take a nut off (being stainless steel), it strips the studs and you now have a leaky O2, In MY case.

I got a screw in O2 with bung put in, so now I can run NGK to even toyota O2's (they also make screw in's now as well?). My truck was a 4 wire O2. Two Blacks, One white, One blue. I found a toyota factory screw in 4 wire off ebay for about 25 bucks, then bought an NGK for 35 bucks and use my plug in aready on the truck for the NGK. You should buy the O2 and plug before you go to the shop and get it all soldered up, but since your truck has been run without an O2, it won't hurt to put it in at a later time, just have something in that hole (like a bolt).

When you dissconnect the O2, it does nothing noticeable on our trucks. Euro cars don't come with O2's and cat's, because they are less anal about the deal. Basically, the CEL is telling you it's not hooked up, and the truck is running in loop mode from rich to lean, or so I've been told. My original O2 was showing the copper wire but still worked, so no worry. However, some people I know dissconnect the O2 as they have said the car actually runs better.

You will only need one O2 sensor, upstream of the cat. On 96 and on vehicles, they must have an upstream and downstream O2. The first O2 tells the computer what it needs to know, then the second downstream O2 tells the computer if the cat is working correctly. For vehicles with twin exhaust, you will have 4 O2's. Of course...all this REALLY does in lamens terms is; make the company more money when you need four $130 dollar O2's...

They say the toyota O2's are the best to go with, but they'll cost you a pretty penny.

Hope this helps!

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Dunno what I was thinking about the O2 being screw in... :kookoo:

I guess it's because you "screw in" the nuts that hold it on or something. Oh well, we all give bad advice from time to time...

Your O2 comment surprises me because so many people post that their trucks are running like shit and replace the O2 to fix it and it works. I have no experience with it, but I see people change them all the time to fix their trucks. Seems like a funny way to waste a $100 doesn't it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i called a local shop and they quoted me 380-480 for exhaust. It seems cheaper to just buy a exhaust system and get the header. How much did you guys spend?

·
Registered
1992 Toyota Pick Up
489 Posts
Holy crap!

Dude, My guy told me 130 installed if he provided the muffler, or 50 if I provided it. I bought a flow 40 for 55 shipped off ebay. So I payed 105 cash, no receipt (since I got the cat cut...illegal!). Then to fix the O2 with a screw in bung and some new piping, it was 30.

I have 135 total in my exhaust. 380 is RIDICULOUS. Is that with muffler, cat, and O2 installed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah i am going to go get some new quotes that sounds crazy. My truck will be in the shop for the recall thing though so i will have to wait. Carbonrevo, cool name i use to have an HPI RS4 in all carbon fiber.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts