Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
drive hard n drive fast
86 nova/rolla
70 Posts
tire tech

hey tireboy here.. i agree with ur comments 110 percent.. i am also a tireguy by trade. but one point you did not touch on. balancing... we have the best equipment available on the planet. hunter gsp 9700 with road force capabality. and aslo our newest addition. john beam laser imaging balancer. we r the only ones it the west coast of canada to have such a monster.it reaDS THE TIRE & RIM WITH A LASER!!!! in return it will match mount it to within .05 ounces. that comes in to play at high speeds 100km per hour plus. usually thats where the vibrations start even with a hub centric rim... have tried it on my own rolla. aka ginnea pig.. it works i often cruise @ 140kmh plus so it really makes a difference.. any questions please feel free to ask me anytime.. :naughty: :smokin:

·
TN's ExercisePhysiologist
96 S/CToyotaAvalonXL
851 Posts
Hey guys,

I have a question. I have a set fo rims from (what the guy stated on the ebay listing) a 15x7 rim from a Lexus SC300 92. The bolt pattern is the same, but when i place the rim onto the hub, only about a quarter of the bolt sticks out to be tighten. I've been driving with them for 3-4 months now. No problems yet. SBC talked about boring to make them larger. Should i do this? Where can I do this? Price? Or should I get longer studs? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Bunthy said:
Hey guys,

I have a question. I have a set fo rims from (what the guy stated on the ebay listing) a 15x7 rim from a Lexus SC300 92. The bolt pattern is the same, but when i place the rim onto the hub, only about a quarter of the bolt sticks out to be tighten. I've been driving with them for 3-4 months now. No problems yet. SBC talked about boring to make them larger. Should i do this? Where can I do this? Price? Or should I get longer studs? Thanks.
The boring that I talked about is for the hub. Since your wheels are from a lexus, the hub is already the right size.

The test you should be doing is this: If your lugnuts cannot have at least 12 full revolutions before being tightened, you will need longer wheel studs.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
i have a question regarding the hubcentric rims, last summer i bought aftermarket wheels that came with plastic rings, also the hub size of the wheel is quite large, the difference the rings make up is like 8-10mm, are these plastic rings sufficient or should i be looking for a set of aluminum ones

·
Mad Scientist-In-Training
922 Posts
94_Rolla_Guy said:
i have a question regarding the hubcentric rims, last summer i bought aftermarket wheels that came with plastic rings, also the hub size of the wheel is quite large, the difference the rings make up is like 8-10mm, are these plastic rings sufficient or should i be looking for a set of aluminum ones
I've never had plastic hubcentric rings when I ordered wheel packages.
I've heard mixed stories about them though.
IMO, I think it's only a matter of time before they crack; which is not a good thing.

Tire Rack has aluminum hubcentric rings. -> http://www.tirerack.com

I believe Discount Tire Direct does also. -> http://www.tires.com

This is a something all should know:

Whenever you order a wheel/tire package from a supplier, make sure they carry aluminum hubcentric rings. If they said they only carry plastic rings, give them this-> :gfy:

For the money you pay for a wheel/tire set, the supplier should provide you metal hubcentric rings. By default, places like Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct only install metal hubcentric rings. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
bgrieger said:
I hate to nitpick, but not all Toyota 5x114.3 rims have the same hub size of 60.1 mm. Please note that the MK IV supra and the MK III Supra, while both sharing this bolt pattern, have different hub sizes. The MK III has been roughly measured at 60mm (probably the 60.1), where the MK IV is confirmed at a number around 62. MK IV rims, a common swap to MK III cars confirm the gap, as did one members rear brake upgrade using MKIV rotors. The pics actually surprised me as to there being a significant difference, but there it was.

Bob
Can someone confirm if this is indeed the case. I have a 94 supra and thinking about getting some new rims for it. I went out and measured the hub and it seems to be around the 60 mm. Was asking a few online store for hub centric rings and they said it was for only 86-92 supra's and couldn't tell me if mine was indeed a 60.1mm bore or if these rings would fit mine properly. Any input on this is greatly appreciated.

·
Goal: Camry on Roids
95' Camry
47 Posts
hey all, so yea spectrablue cam, or any one that knos, i have a set of spacers on my car now i got from pepboys, pretty much universal ones, can i still use hubcentrics evern with the spacers.....like the spacers wont get in the way or n e thing right??

·
Ricer Hunter
142 Posts
Thanks for all the information Spectra - you have got me worried about something though. Over here, aftermarket rims are very popular, most people go for Roh or Speedline. Now, I have had a few friends who have replaced rims, and I even got some quotes from the bridgestone dealer recently for Roh's. What has got me worried is, that this is the first time I have ever heard of hubcentric rings, or the fact that they are needed. Do you think that its possible that they simply don't bother?
I know that some of the tyre places / mechanics do some pretty dodgy work so I'm wondering if most of these cars with the nice rims that I see around are actually fitted properly after all.
Also when buying a car which already has aftermarket rims, what is the most straightforward way to determine if it has been fitted properly?

·
ECHO....Echo....echo....
1,022 Posts
situman said:
anyone know where i can order some "shank" style lugs for my 16inch Enkei RPF1? for a 97 camry V6?
Most aftermarket wheels do not require shank style lugs nuts. You can tell if you need shank style lugs by looking at the seating surface of the lug hole. If it has a flat (horizontal face) then you need shank style ones. If the seating surface is sloping down towards the hole, then you need normal cone seat lug nuts.

·
ECHO....Echo....echo....
1,022 Posts
situman said:
can i use the "shank" style for even better fitment?
Unless the wheel requires shank lugs, you probably won't be able to even get the wheel bolted to car using shanks.

Just use the proper lug nuts that the wheel requires, get the proper hub rings and make sure the tire is balanced and you're good to go.

·
aka TRD_roLLa on CC.com
649 Posts
very good stuff

i got a Q on tires, i got new tires replaced for my rear rims and i drove home via the 401... this was a while back, there has been no vibration or anything like that
how would i know if my tire balance is messed?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I called Enkei and I spoke with a salesman over there. I asked whether its good idea to use plastic rings. He said Aluminum will corrode and get stuck to ur hub. Plastic ones wont crack for like 2 years. He said it really doesnt matter.

·
ECHO....Echo....echo....
1,022 Posts
ractive_roLLa said:
very good stuff

i got a Q on tires, i got new tires replaced for my rear rims and i drove home via the 401... this was a while back, there has been no vibration or anything like that
how would i know if my tire balance is messed?
Drive at 100-120 km.hr on smooth road. You'll know if your balance is f'ed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
hey BenG my rims Enkei RPF1 16inches has both the flat surface and sloping towards the hole. so that means i can use both styles. Any clue on where I can get some of those lugs?

·
ECHO....Echo....echo....
1,022 Posts
situman said:
hey BenG my rims Enkei RPF1 16inches has both the flat surface and sloping towards the hole. so that means i can use both styles. Any clue on where I can get some of those lugs?
Having never owned an RPF1 or ever seen one unmounted, I cannot say that you cannot use the shank lugs.... but most aftermarket wheels do use cone seat.

If you really want to get shank lugs, you can get them from McGard....they have lugs of all styles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SpectraBlueCam said:
TOYOTA HUB SIZE INFORMATION
(snip)
5x114.3 bolt pattern (all except trucks): 60.1mm

TOYOTA LUGNUTS INFORMATION
(snip)

- all OEM Toyota STEEL wheels use cone seat lugs, usually open-ended, switch to closed-ended ones to prevent rusting of the wheel studs

- lugs should be tightened to approximately 80ft/lbs, in star shaped order
Can you please confirm the offset for 15x6.5 5x114.3 steel rims (Camry 02-06)?

My in-law told me it is 50mm, and can be found at the back side of the rim. However, I can only find something like:

J 15x6-1/2 JJ DOT 2 02 65SD5

Why the question? I bought these steel rims from a Camry 02 owner to install winter tires for my 06 Camry. Mine is also a 15" tires, P205/65R15, thus the only issue left is offset.

If the rims are indeed Toyota OEM, I would not worry, probably don't need to know the offset. But I can't seem to verify, and just wondering.

Thanks!

It's kinda silly to reply my own posting, I could have deleted but thought it may be of some use to others.
I checked with my full spare having steel rim (normal tires have alloy rims) and compare. The pre-owned rims are identical to my spare, stamped with similar rim size J 15x6-1/2 JJ DOT xxxx . I don't bother with offset number now :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
RayRay:

Fortunately, I didn't find out about that tip from experience. Otherwise, I may not be able to type this thing.

As for spacers, 99% of them are not made properly. They are just thin pieces of metal with multiple bolt patterns drilled in. They have two main problems:

1. do not ensure sufficient lug-to-stud thread engagement; and
2. do not replicate the vehicle's hub for proper centering of the wheel.

Only use PROPER spacers that address these two problems.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts