Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Go camry goooooo
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i dunno how many seen my other thread but i tried fiberglassing today, it went pretty good being my first time and not knowing to much

Im not saying they are the best, there ok, im gonna redo them and make them better, also it rained and was humid so that didnt work to my advantage

fiberglass project
sorry pics not in order lol

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
Looks real good Drew, how many layers did you do?

·
Go camry goooooo
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha, um i wanted to seal the spot under the deck, but took it off i didnt like how it turned out

and mike i did 2 layers, when i get a chance im gonna go another 2 and fill in the mess up areas

? can i put bondo over, so then i can smooth everything out and be able to sand it?

·
TRD Guy
588 Posts
looks really good for first time work on fiberglass, tell me once u have redone them, i think i might get eyelids too but from my friend :D

·
Go camry goooooo
5,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cool, cause i did the head light and then the corner, in seperate cloth not one hole picec, so there like bumps where it over laps, so a thin layer of bondo would do the trick

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Phi
Why not just get a DIN cover?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

where to get one?

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
drewscam said:

quote:
Originally posted by Phi
Why not just get a DIN cover?

where to get one?
Any audio shop can get one for you. Another idea is to get a cubby hole DIN box.

·
Registered
1993 Camry LE
172 Posts
Nice! Since we're on the subject of fiberglass, anyone have any good links or DIY links for working with fiberglass?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
not bad for you first time but next time try to use different types of f/g cloth.diff.types work better for diff.projects.:thumbup:
sorry just re read this and it sounds like i'm talking shit but i dont know how eles to say it:disappoin ,good job thou

here is a tip sand down the glass and paint on a new coat of resen and then sand that no bondo and it works

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
here is a tip sand down the glass and paint on a new coat of resen and then sand that no bondo and it works
Hey Drew, what you can do is what ^ Warlock said and put on another coat of resin, but what you could also do is sand down the f/g so that it's really, really smooth. and then add one last layer. But instead of laying down f/g, you lay down a piece of carbon fiber mat and then put on like two layers of resin. try not to sand down the resin after the c/f layer. It's probably a pain in the butt to do, but the end result would look so awesome.

·
Resident slacker
2015 Highlander
559 Posts
CF can be a real pain in the ass to work with, though. You'll need to use a special hardener that is completely clear, otherwise it doesn't look right. Also, you have to be careful not to use too much or it just won't harden at all. :(

But anyway, good work for your first time!

·
Registered
1999 Toyota Camry
565 Posts
^ very true about c/f. But since we're learning to work with f/g for the first time anyway, we might as well step up and try the c/f also. Just like the f/g, if we mess up, we learn and practice doing it again and again. Sooner or later, we'll have yet another skill that we can use to make awesome lookin parts for our sleepers:D

Drew, what other parts are you thinking about doing f/g?

Also, if you decide to sand the eyelids a little to make it smooth, make sure you wear LONG SLEEVE SHIRT!!! I was working on my box today and got 3 layers down and decided to sand it abit smooth before doing the other layers. Well, let me tell you that the f/g dust got all over my arms and it itched for hours. Even after shower. it even left little red bumps in my arms.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts