Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally did the first mod to my gen 3. (not counting the sound system) It really isnt that big a deal, but I was very surprised by the results. I did the headlight bulb switch to the Silverstars from the FAQ. I know, its just headlight bulbs, but the instructions were perfect concerning the switch to the 9005. But the bigger surprise was that it actually improved the lights. I couldnt believe the difference, even with my slightly yellow lenses.

The mod bug has bitten...next up is bodywork/paint, then suspension and wheels.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
I got some money for Christmas and am trying to decide if I want to spend it on doing this also.

·
How hard can it be?
2006 Pontiac G6 GT
2,614 Posts
I got enough money to buy one 9005 or 9006, it'll look halfway decent ;)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
BlueFusion6851 said:
:lol: that made me chuckle. If you get one I think i have a spare one.

·
No Fat Bitches
2,044 Posts
BlueFusion6851 said:
haha thats ghetto. I have a new set of 9006 ill sell for cheap since I have no use for them PM me if you want them :thumbup:

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
Damn I got so many leftover 9006/9005 bulbs sitting in a box... useless buggers now unless my high beams go lol. Good backup I guess.

·
Still confused...
95 camry coupe v6
2,304 Posts
isn't 9006 useless for you now since you're running projectors anyways? aren't they like DS2 bulbs or something like that...

but in regards to the 9005 mod, it really does help, i wa surprised too when a buddy of mine did that to his corolla... congrats on the mod =D

·
Camry Under Construction
668 Posts
will the 9006's fit a 2005 camry se???? if so i may be interested

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went ahead and bought them because Advance Autoparts had them on sale. Got a pair of Siverstars for $30. I probably could have found them a little cheaper, but I was there and so were they, so I bought 'em.

I am just glad I was at my parents house for the holidays and my brother had his Dremel.

·
Ninja-rator
4,262 Posts
05Cam-Weasel said:
will the 9006's fit a 2005 camry se???? if so i may be interested
why would you want to go with 9006's....i thought you want to go the 9005 route?

correct me if i'm wrong.... 9006 are less powerful?

·
Old fogey
1,429 Posts
95WhiteCamry said:
isn't 9006 useless for you now since you're running projectors anyways? aren't they like DS2 bulbs or something like that...

but in regards to the 9005 mod, it really does help, i wa surprised too when a buddy of mine did that to his corolla... congrats on the mod =D
Correct they are quite useless for me now, but in case I run out of 9005 for my high beams, I can mod my 9006 into my 9005 sockets (less output, but honestly who cares it's a high beam and I almost never use it).

I remember doing the 9005 mod. Yes it does help quite a bit. I did however notice a bit more glare though. When I put my car up against a wall, I saw spots of light going where they shouldn't. It was a minimal effect though. Nothing to really complain about.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Will the excess heat output cause damage on plastic headlamps? I'm a bit worried about the little plastic cap in front of the 9006 bulbs on my freeform headlamps.

I think they should be designed withstand the heat output by 9005 bulbs since the lamps are designed to use both. But high beams aren't used as often as low beams and that space was designed to accept a 9006 bulb, not 9005. FWIW, I just ran my high beams the whole way on a 4 hour drive across the desert. I had to dip them for maybe 5 cars the entire route.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts