Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
CAMRY
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey everyone, i have just started to get into working on cars. i'm in school for it rite now but i don't kno too much but i guess i kno enough. well i wanted to ask. I have a 96 camry dx with a 2.2 inline four motor. i am looking to put a new engine in my car does anyone have any suggestions?

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
the only choices that are worth it are the 1mz-fe(3.0 V6) and the 3sgte(turbo 2.0 from MR2). the 1mz has almost no aftermatket parts and turboing is extreamly expensive, not to mention to convert to 5 speed is a costly process too. the 3sgte would be my choice since its a turbo motor and has LOTS of after market parts. if u want you could do a turbo setup on ur engine(5sfe). there are several people who have done it with pretty good results. i think theres also a supercharger setup too. use ur existing engine and save the trouble of swapping in a different motor especially the V6...unless u dont need any more then 188hp.

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
Most people that start an engine swap wind up wishing they hadn't. There are enough problems just replacing an engine with the same one, to keep almost anybody busy without adding more issues . Swapping an engine for a different one is a problem multiplier. I can safely say that there will be a hundred unforeseen problems: parts that dont fit, parts that are unavailable, parts that are too costly, parts that don't work with the components already in the car.
I'd rebuild or replace the old engine first - just my own honest take on this, from 30 years of workin on this stuff :preach:

·
I work on euros.
96 Toy Camry Sport
210 Posts
I disagree, marc. Engine replacement for the same design is just nuts & bolts. Not hard for a professional tech. Installing an entirely different engine is a lot tougher - you need a chunk of knowledge, lots of tools, time, fabrication tools and experience, wiring ability, an engine management system to run the car well enough to drive it, tuning ability, troubleshooting ability, etc. In other words, 95/96, if you do something wild like put a Northstar engine and trans in it, expect it to be down for 3 months, cost five grand, piss you off every day, kill your social life, and be very cool when it's done.

You can do it if you want, but it's very complicated, and if you're new, you're not ready yet. What school you in? I went to wyotech in Laramie and have been out since April - I've done four engine R&R's so far, and one jdm 2.0 into a '91 celica.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts