Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Gen 4's rpm drop quickly to 500rpm right after I cold start, I think the normal behavior would be the RPM should go up for a short while before it drop down a little.

What could go wrong??

·
Registered
290 Posts
it sounds like an old battery problem. When's the last time your replaced your battery? i mention the battery because my car wouldn't start after a couple days of low rpm right after a cold start.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
have ur throttle body cleaned and use that fuel injector cleaner (concentrate) every 3000 miles. If the problem still persists' then i'd suggest u to change your fuel filter (should be 10K miles or yearly) and try a few fill up with higher octane!

·
Grenaded piston
6,523 Posts
Protocold said:
My Gen 4's rpm drop quickly to 500rpm right after I cold start, I think the normal behavior would be the RPM should go up for a short while before it drop down a little.

What could go wrong??
IAC/ISC/IAV and/or ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor.

·
Add Lightness
Lotus Elise
104 Posts
Yeah, I agree with 88LE. It's your throttle body needing cleaning, your ISCV assembly needs replacement and you should also change your Engine Coolant Temp sensor at the same time. I just did this with the help of 88LE and Nico.

I had the problem and it has been totally corrected. Mine used to die out when cold starting and I did not touch the gas. I would have to blip the throttle to keep the Camry running. The rpms did not go up for a while like it should when it was cold-started. I tried cleaning jthe throttle body and replacing the Idle Speed Control Valve BUT you should ALSO replace the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor and it all 3 of these things that fixed the problem.

Do you know how to do this? I did not know how to and with their guidance I did it! It was not hard at all.

Here's a few things I think should be mentioned. If you start this task yourslef...disconnect the throttle bracket bolts from the throttle body, do not disconnect the throttle cable and cruise control cable from the bracket. You'll probably have to re-adjust the cables if you do.

I can post the part #s if you want it. I still have the old parts and boxes from ordering the new parts.

If you search for my post I think it may help. Let me know if you want to see pics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts