Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For my 2010 Toyota Venza, I ordered Philips HID kit from Ebay, which costs me less than 200 usd shipped to my door. I have 4300k and 6000K HID bulbs and lets see what the differences are comparing to the original one.

A picture worth a thousand words. Picture with story...

The original plug and light bulb detached. Noticed that there are yellow wire and black/whit wires on the driver's side. On the passenger side, it is red and black/whit wires on my Venza Later on it is going to be connected with the HID kit

The blue and black wires are from the HID kit. They are going to be pluge into the green socket.

Notice that the blue wire should align with the color wire of the green socket. In this case on the passenger side, it is a red wire. The black one goes with the black/white wire. I use black wire to secure this from detach apart. For other wires, they all have specific shapes, just plug and play, you can't go wrong.

After all the connections, lets fire it up and see how it look.

It is the 4300K here in the picture.

This is the original bulb, yellowish and not bright.

Here is the Philips 4300K. I have set the camera in manual mode, so the shutter speed and aperture are all the same.
See it is white on left side and yellow on the right side.

Right side original

Now right side 4300K

Left side 4300k

Left side 6000k

Left side 6000k, Right side 4300k

Another angle, left side 6000k, right side 4300k

I use industrial grade velcro to secure the ballasts

Here is one of the places to put the ballast for right side.

I cut the velcro so it shap nicer

Here is the place I put(hang) the ballast on the driver side. Clean the plastic a bit and put the sticky velcro on.

Trunk Light

Pop it off with a (-)screw driver on the right side

With original bulb. Planty of space. I should get the LED board type instead of the small one.

The one with 4 LED is the one I use.

Original bulb

LED (color is a bit purpleish, sorry, I took the picture using my cellphone.)

Center Lights
Again, pop one side of the center piece open first.

You will see the center bulb

Here is the T10 LED I use. it has 6 white squares and each square contains 3 led, so there are total of 18 light emitting source from this tiny LED.

Size comparison (unit is cm)

Put it in

Lights from 3 directions

Just pull gentally and it should come off.

Watch out not to break it when you put it back in

You can see the hinge here. There are 2 hings for the right and left light covers. The center piece has 4.

The LED is so small that there is still lots of room if you consider a longer LED. Just remember to take away the center light cover first when you are doing this area, and put it back the last when you are done.

The LED still have the gradual dimming effect when you open and close doors.
Thats it for now. I will post more pics for the rear reading lights and HID test on the road when I have free time.

Door Lights

After detached from door

The size of the cover limits the size of the LED you can use, unless you plan not to put the cover back.

Detach the cover

Without the cover

There are 4 metal bar that holds the original bulb, which also limits the LED selection, unless you bent it straight.

Thats it for now.
thanks for reading

·
Registered
86 Posts
I love your install. Very Clean.:thumbsup: Can you post the link for the site where you got the LED bulbs from? I wanna order those for mine NOW!!! Also, if you can specify which bulb for which side that would be helpful :)
Where did you get your HID's from? Noticed you had the Philips ballast...curious :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for the great write-up! Are the LEDs in the cargo area brighter than the old light bulb? Or do they look that way because the camera adjusted to the lighting?

Is the color of the light that blueish?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Are you planning on upgrading foglight to HID too?

Great photos and instructions. Are you planning on upgrading foglight to HID too?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love your install. Very Clean.:thumbsup: Can you post the link for the site where you got the LED bulbs from? I wanna order those for mine NOW!!! Also, if you can specify which bulb for which side that would be helpful :)
Where did you get your HID's from? Noticed you had the Philips ballast...curious :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Nit407, I got these LED light from yahoo auction site of Taiwan. Bad thing is that they don't ship out of Taiwan, so the only way to get it is to have someone living there and get it for you.:) You can check Ebay for similar items, I think there are a lot there to choose from.

The main type of bulbs for interior light are T10.
The 2 Door lights
3 center roof lights
2 mirror lights
1 rear reading light

They are all T10 type of LED. Jus get the longest bulb that can be fitted in its own case.
For me, I got the LED before I got the car, so I played safe and find the brightest/ smallest one to make sure they fit.

For the rear reading light, maybe this is a good idea. Only one side has LED

The only different one is the trunk light, which uses a 3022 bulb.
From the photos, you can see that there are planty of room. If I do it again, I would take out the trunk light (should take only 5 secs) and measure the space, and then order the largest board type LED that fit. I found that the LED I use for the trunk is just a little brighter than the original one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the great write-up! Are the LEDs in the cargo area brighter than the old light bulb? Or do they look that way because the camera adjusted to the lighting?

Is the color of the light that blueish?
It looks bright if you starr at it. But if you look at the cargo area where it shines, I think only a little brighter. You will notice it has just a tiny blue hue if you satrr at it a long time and compare/imaging the flourecent desk lamp at home.

I think something like this is better. it will be brighter for sure.

·
2010 Sunset Bronze Mica
58 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Anyone HID their foglight?

I found this HID kits (supposedly a good quality HID kits... according to their disclaimer)... but I never see anyone upgrade their stock fog light to HID. I am afraid it would melt the plastic housing of the fog light to to high heat built up.

I have tried the so called bright 'led' bulbs but the result is totally disappointed to say the least.

This is the kit I am talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320624055722&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en#ht_5702wt_2447

·
Registered
57 Posts
i have a kit that i instaled last year in march and have had no problem and my fog light are always on when the light is on i have the 5000k and the color is not exacly the same i think the color of the venza is actualy 4000k

·
Registered
446 Posts
i have a kit that i instaled last year in march and have had no problem and my fog light are always on when the light is on i have the 5000k and the color is not exacly the same i think the color of the venza is actualy 4000k
Thanks for the info. I think the stock HID is 4300k.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here's a general replacement list for Camry. Most can be transferred to Venza

If you're talking about the rear reading lights. Here and here

·
Registered
21 Posts
Would replacing the lights on the exterior require a resister to avoid the hyper flashing or not since the venza has that third break light LED already? I wanted to replace the rear lights and front turn signals.

·
Registered
49 Posts
has anyone done the lights in the back seats? not sure what they are called. rear seat map lights probably? Having a hard time pulling the light assembly out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
17 Participants
digitalxdude
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing