Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
uh... is it normal to see smoke/steam (it's white...so i guess it's more like steam?) come off ur hood (not coming out from the side openings, but coming right off the middle of the hood) when it rains and ur car is idle? (it might have smoke while running too, but i only notice it when my car is idle/in park/turned off)

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,370 Posts
it's natural, and it's not exactly good, but not bad either....

if you have a good paintjob, it'll be fine, but if the paint on your hood is crap, then it may bubble or peel

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,457 Posts
Are you burning oil? Or maybe during your last oil change someone spilled some oil on your engine block?

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
Mine does that after it rains or I wash it and the sun comes out and the engine is at operating temp, it's just water evaporating off the surface. There's nothing wrong with that, evaporation is a common thing, actually. :D

·
Its still a Camry.
1991 Lexus Es250
522 Posts
My smoke come from my flex pipe! The oil comes from that little pain in the ass gasket between the heads and engine block. Wanna trade smoke problems?:thumbup:

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
You hood smokes?? So would my ass if it got that hot.

Its only steam - applying cold water to a hot surface, its natural.

Directly under the part that smokes are your header pipes which heat the hood up quite a bit.

Now you know why its important to wax your hood (when its cold). All that heat and baking dries that paint until it peels and flakes.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so would it be better to get those mattings under the hood as crawling eye mentioned? or is there other ways to prevent it so the paint won't peel/flake over time?

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,195 Posts
As long as it dosn't happen on sunny days without rain then your fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.