Toyota Nation Forum banner

121 - 125 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
I've mentioned before about difficultly in getting my Gen 1's windshield replaced a few years ago. I just suffered a rather horrible dartboard style bullseye almost directly in front of the driver which I suspect may render the car to be not street legal. Haven't been able to make any calls yet, but looking around online I'm not very optimistic about replacement Camry First Generation windshields still being stocked... anywhere. I'm guessing no one has made new ones in a very long time.

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
I've mentioned before about difficultly in getting my Gen 1's windshield replaced a few years ago. I just suffered a rather horrible dartboard style bullseye almost directly in front of the driver which I suspect may render the car to be not street legal. Haven't been able to make any calls yet, but looking around online I'm not very optimistic about replacement Camry First Generation windshields still being stocked... anywhere. I'm guessing no one has made new ones in a very long time.
Try Safelite or another autoglass company... I got a quote for mine not too long ago but I havent been able to afford it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #124 (Edited)
Did some more looking. From what the guy from Novus told me, he was able to find exactly -one- windshield left... anywhere. And... it reportedly has some shelf wear, some sort of scratches on it "down low" but he's not called me back yet to follow up.

I'll go for it, if the damage is below my line of sight. But with this appearing to be the last one in the USA, wonder if I should even bother with the plans I have at some point when I get past 300K miles. This engine has never been rebuilt, and still has the stock clutch. I've already got a rebuilt cylinder head, engine rebuild kit, new clutch, all new engine and transaxle mounts, on the shelf here so I can do this. I'm at 293K right now.

The glass guy also mentioned that custom made glass is a possibility, he had just done one in some classic car recently, but I didn't even bother to ask how expensive this is, because I'm sure has to be very high.

For the time being, I sort of "hid" the damage with some electrical tape applied inside the glass, making so I don't get much glare off the damage.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
Ugh--- this last work week, I drive my Camry when I work day shifts, and I just finished 5 in a row on days, so that means definitely headlights on the way out and usually on the way back, unless they let me clock off early. And all but final drive home the commute suffered from weather, wet roads and on the last day, dense fog. And that bleeping patch I put on the glass was not a good thing, my right eye is all but useless anymore, so I am limited to my left orb which is this totally blocked by the tape on the glass. It does not help at all that the State of Wyoming is rather overdue to repaint the lines on the roads.... there are many stretches in which you can not see any side-line to the road.

Anyway, the window damage blocked my view of something that I need to see, (if it's there to even see - I would rather not have to listen for the rumble strips on the verge, which is the alternative) I did scrape off a bit of the tape I had on the glass yesterday, to maybe make things a bit better - in the dark this is not nearly as bad as in daylight.

Now the windshield repalcement dude never said if it was a new or used glass he was looking at getting for me, so I assumed when it was mentioned it was damages I thought it was new old stock with shelf wear, but I'm starting to think he's meaning a used glass. Bugger! But if it gives me a clear view of what I need to see, I'll still go there.

A

121 - 125 of 125 Posts