Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're like me and drive to & from work on a twisty road that constantly has the sun shifting from the side of your truck to the front... then you'll understand my latest mod. Dual sunvisors. My previous truck (03 Tundra) had these from the factory and my 08 4runner sport has them from the factory too... I've missed them since I traded my trundra so i figured I'd just do the mod. I went to my local wrecking yard... found a totaled 4runner... 5 minutes and $10 later, I had my parts.

Thanks to fellow TN member monte1985 for emailing me a photo of the inside of his tacoma w/ the headliner removed. That gave me the info I needed for mounting the visors.

Next was the install. Just measure, mark, and drill. Then they just screw on.
Took me about 1.5 hrs but that was mostly me being overly cautious... didnt want to drill through the roof.:rolleyes:

Enough talk... here are the photos:

Parts and tools required

Before:

After (regular visors down, second set in the "up" position.

After (both sets of visors down)

Final photo. In the closed position. You can barely see the bracket on the front side of the visor.

Sorry for the glare... wrong time of day to take the photos... but i was too excited to wait.

Whatcha think?

Nathan
ycart1201

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
Pretty good idea... I need you to come up with another one for me though? Can you make me a 'anti-hood-scoop glare visor'? Damn that thing blinds the hell outta me sometimes. Makes sun visors worthless to me. :(

·
GO KING'S GO!
05' Taco Pre-Runner
2,250 Posts
Looks good!

Pretty good idea... I need you to come up with another one for me though? Can you make me a 'anti-hood-scoop glare visor'? Damn that thing blinds the hell outta me sometimes. Makes sun visors worthless to me. :(

Oakley Polarized sunglasses = problem solved! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
This is a great mod i have to admit. Are you able to post up the picture without the headliner? Did you just mount to the headliner? I would love to do this in my tercel, lol.

·
MMM TACO
06 Tacoma
581 Posts
I never use my sunvisors in the front, I can't see out the window if I do. I only use it on the sides.

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a great mod i have to admit. Are you able to post up the picture without the headliner? Did you just mount to the headliner? I would love to do this in my tercel, lol.
I'll try to post up that pic tonight when i get home from work. I mounted it to the metal frame in the roof. The pic will show it better.

Thanks everyone for all the positive comments. I was happy driving to work today as this mod worked really well. Feel free to keep the comments coming.:thumbsup:

Thanks,
Nathan
ycart1201

·
Registered
149 Posts
Great mod. I've been wondering how to pull this off. Did you just mount to the head liner, or did you have to take the head liner off at all?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I sort of owe you an apology. When I first read the title of this thread I though " wtf, that'll look stupid as all hell". But, I was totally wrong. Very clean install and looks like a really good functional mod.

Good job.

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

Here is that pic (i cropped it so the pics wasnt so huge):

Thanks,
Nathan
ycart1201

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Dang thats a huge pic, so there is metal bracket that protrudes a bit from the top of the windshield and you mounted the visor's there?

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
Looks good!

Oakley Polarized sunglasses = problem solved! :thumbsup:
I have polarized glasses, didn't help much. Polarizers only block half the suns rays.

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Photo resized. Sorry about that. I ran out of time on my 1st break and just fixed it on my 2nd. ^_^

Yes, there is a metal frame around the windshield. I predrilled through the headliner and that metal frame then used the same screws that held them on from the factory in the 4runner to hold them on in my truck.

I'll have to go back and see if I missed any other questions.

Thanks,
Nathan
ycart1201

·
Pretty much a TN Member
2006 Taco DC TRD OR
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great mod. I've been wondering how to pull this off. Did you just mount to the head liner, or did you have to take the head liner off at all?
Didn't need to take the headliner off after I saw the photo of the bare metal. Just drilled through the headliner.:thumbsup:

Nathan
ycart1201

1 - 19 of 19 Posts