Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't had time to start this yet but I guess I should just get it up then I can add to it as time permits.

I've been taking pics all along as I have received parts and now that we've actually started the project I have way too many pics to sort through. Oh well, here's goes nothing...

Here's the last known pic of the truck:

The first part I got from the UPS guy was the rear 3rd I bought from Zuk with the 5.29's already set up in it. I went in and took it apart and added a Lockright to it myself. Taking it apart wasn't too bad, but I'll tell you in a few months if I did it right without screwing up the preload if it doesn't blow up on me.

I drove it all last week with the 5.29's and the locker just to get used to it. I'll be glad to get the bigger tires on it just to gear it down a little. It's been a damned torquey week to say the least. ;)

When we got started Saturday morning, I did the rear first. I decided to use the Superlift springs and add the 4" block too for starters but I'm pretty sure it will be too tall. When I get the front done I'll probably end up taking out the 4" block and going with a 2" over shackle. But until I get the front done I won't know where the back will sit.

I showed up at Dad's house bright and early with a truck full of parts.

The back wasn't too bad. Just a lot of stuck nuts. Once I figured out the routine it went pretty well.

More to follow as time permits...

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
When we started the front, we got the swaybar off and 3 of the 4 cam eccentric bolts off the lower control arms and hit a major snag. All of the cam bolts were stuck in but we were able to break them loose with a breaker bar and then tap them out. The fourth was not budging.

We hit it with a hammer...

Then we hit it with a bigger hammer...

Then we put the breaker bar on the florr jack and cranked it up until it almost broke and hit with the big hammer at the same time...

Then I went to the shed and got the maul out and we hit it with that for a while. The maul is basically a 5-10 pound sledge but it wouldn't budge. I was watching the LCA mount bending backwards and finally gave up and got out the cutting wheel. At first I couldn't cut all the way through with a 4" disc so I did what I could and we finally gave up after about 4 hours of working on the same bolt. We popped the other 3 back in and puled it out into the driveway and quit for the night.

Sunday morning I got up and went to Harbor Freight and got some 4.5" cutting wheels and went back over to Dad's and got back in to it. Here's some pics of how it looked when I got there to show you the amount of room I had to work in...

When I hit it with the bigger disc it gave within 10 minutes. I had to grind it back a little and finally got the arm to drop. There weren't many pics of all of this as naturally I was kind of preoccupied. Now that I had everything loose it was time to start bolting stuff up. I would worry about the ruined bolt and bushing later.

First the crossmember was cut out and thrown to the side. No turning back now...

A pic of eveything finally hanging...

Next we put the new (to me) front diff with the 5.29's in it in. Sorry no pics, this bastard weighed 88 pounds. ;)

Then I stared in on the CV's. After breaking the bolts loose one at a time with a torch and a big breaker bar on the diff, I went to take the hubs apart and install the new CV halfshafts. Here's a pic of the drivers side about to go in...

I stopped after installing the driver's side CV for the night and got back in to it tonight after work. The second one went so well I took more pics.

Here's the unbolted CV getting ready to be replaced...

Taking the hubs apart was pretty straight forward but the cone washers took some figuring. Here's the routine me and subliminaltrips worked out that got them out with the least amount of headache...

First remove the nuts and washers and spray some PB Blaster all over them...

Then some heat concentrated on the cone washer and the base...

Then screw a nut on halfway...

Then put the socket and an extension on and rap about 30 times with a hammer just hard enough to break the washer loose...

Here's one of the snap ring and washer sorry for the blur...

And everything off and the CV out.

And a nice rebuilt CV on the new diff...

And the drivers side too... Notice the destroyed lower ball joint I have to also buy now from removing the LCA... :rolleyes:

And a pic of the bushing that gave me so much headache that I have a replacement on order for. $50 for the bushing and $10 for the bolt for oem.

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
subliminaltrips said:
what a stupid thread.... the first 4 posts are reserved..... how gay....
You are such a hopeless homosexual... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jayota said:
Ooooh, looks like she will be big! I like!

How did it drive with the 5.29s?
With the 32's and 4.10's my speedometer read 10% slow. With the 5.29's it read about 20% fast. It was nice but so low that it made 2nd almost feel like first.

I'll definitely be happier with the bigger tires.

Now the locker on the other hand... I love it. Everyone should have one.

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
shoes1382006 said:
nice stuff man! hope everything turns out the way you want it! you just need to get bigger tires
Patience young Skywalker... :lol:

I have them already. ;)

You won't get installed pics before the weekend though...

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Vicoor said:
you need to do a road test so that you can give us a performance report.
There will be plenty of that...

Which part are you curious about?

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
Uh I Wouldnt Go That Far But If The Front Is As High As The Rear Its Gonna Be Taller Than My 84 By A Few Inches. Im Worried That With The Ball Joint Spacer In The Front On Top Of The Lift Kit And The Fact That He Will Need A Slight Torsion Bar Crank . If That Is The Case That Lower Control Arm If Gonna Start To Pull In POSITIVE Camber At A Certain Point. Im Hoping Once He Gets His Tires On Everything Will Align Properly. Otherwise He May Have To Go Down To A 2 Inch Block Or A 3-4 Inch Shackle (2 Inches Of Lift) Instead Of The 4 Inch Block So It Doesnt Look Like An Old 60's Hot Rod That Is Raked Like A Pile Of Leaves On Anal Ass Ovrrdrives Lawn. (hes Worse Than Hank Hill When It Comes To His Lawn)

·
Registered
188 Posts
great, posts like the pictures.. Not that i have the courage to start a project like that.. but damn its good to have help.. anyone live around oregon that wants to teach me to do cool $hit like this?

looks like a nice clean yodder too.

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
synny said:
thats looking good, 2" body and a a sumfin inch suspension lift? how much? How you guna lift the front
Actually right now its a 3" body lift and about 7 suspension. The springs are supposed to be Superlift springs which are 3.5" and I put the 4" block under them for starters. I seriously doubt I'll be able to keep that much lift but I have to get the front up and then adjust it to match. The springs will also settle as they break in so I'll have to deal with a little rake for a few weeks. My goal is to have it sit perfectly flat.

The front lift is a Superlift 4" bracket kit and I also have a 1.5" ball joint spacer to add in. Depending on how much more clearance I need for the 36's I may hae to do about a 1" tbar with it but I'm hoping I dont' have to. I'd like to put the tbars back to a stock or even less than stock setting to soften the ride up some.

The looks will be night and day when I put the tires on it. ;)

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
undertow29 said:
great, posts like the pictures.. Not that i have the courage to start a project like that.. but damn its good to have help.. anyone live around oregon that wants to teach me to do cool $hit like this?

looks like a nice clean yodder too.
I definitely wouldn't have jumped in to it without subliminaltrips help but honestly now that I'm in it doesn't seem too bad really. Nothing thus far has been brain surgery, rather I'd liken it to a crossword puzzle. Some things have been tough but you just have to think them through and figure out the best path.

I take lots of pics no matter what I do, but in this project especially I wanted to take a bunch so people could see what was involved in the kits.

Of course I do still have to get everything back together... :eek:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.