Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My original plan was to use the blocks and a shackle until I found the cash to buy a TG spring setup but I found these Superlift springs locally for $125 and they had never been used. A little time, grinding, painting and greasing and they're good as new.

Still, the plan is to run it like this until I come up with the $600 for the Trailgear set. I really liked the way they look and work on subliminal's truck and plan on buying a set. I just couldn't pass up $125 springs.

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I wouldn't say very unpredictable, but maybe a little unpredictable and even then only at 5mph or less. Sometimes it will bind up a little in really sharp turns when you're coming off a dead stop, but I've yet to even know it was back there in normal driving at 10mph or greater.

As for the ratcheting, you can definitely hear it and you get strange looks from people when you go to park. Honestly it sounds like a ujoint popping or something as you turn. It's gotten a little quieter as the week went on but it still makes it loud enough to hear in the cab.

The traction it provides is nothing short of incredible... I can go up hills that I used to spin on or use 4wd on in 2wd without slipping at all. And when you do donuts the truck goes completely sideways. It's definitely a worthwhile investment even if it is a pain in the ass at times...

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
ill second the locker, my locker is a detroit soft locker which is supposed to be alot better but from what ive seen the only difference is the luchbox style locker ratchets a little more in turns but as far as drivability when i drove ovrrdrives truck its felt identical. the unpredictability is usually associated with shifting gears or letting off the throttle and then blipping it, you will notice the truck dart to the left or right depending on the slope of the road, if your driving absolutley straight and if your rear tires are the exact same diameter.

·
Registered
118 Posts
for OVERDRIVE

were the 5.29's bad on gas with the 32's i have 33's and i was thinking about putting 5.29's in insted of 4.88's and how bad was the 55-70mph (if you drove that fast or could reach it) speed affected

·
Supafly
1991 toyota pickup
4,401 Posts
I think I will invest into the lockright locker soon. Roughly 300 bucks CAD.

Im just scared I will be turning a corner and it will lock up and send me into another car or somthing :eek:

How is it on like hwy offramps or onramps and such, highspeed corners...

sorry for all the questions:D

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
TRD_JW said:
were the 5.29's bad on gas with the 32's i have 33's and i was thinking about putting 5.29's in insted of 4.88's and how bad was the 55-70mph (if you drove that fast or could reach it) speed affected
you will turn a higher rpm by percentage that the gears are larger. the speedometer will also be off the same percentage. there is a tire to gear ratio conversion somnewhere on the web im too lazy to find it for ya, search man. im not sure about mileage but id guess it would depend on how he drove it, if you shift faster id say it might not change at all. 55-70 im sure you will be turning a few more rpms higher rpm's = more fuel burning.

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
TRD_JW said:
As already said, the 5.29's are way too low for 32-33" tires. It was actually a painful week for me as far as gearing was concerned. There's a 55mph road on my way to work and I had to run it at 70-75 to keep up with the flow of traffic.

First gear was too low too, and the amplified torque made everything drive really rough.

There's no way I would drive my truck with 32's and 5.29's. With any luck I'm have the 36's under it tomorrow.

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Made a little progress after work tonight...

Here's the latest.

In taking off the LCA I had to cut one of the cam bolts and part of the bushing because it was completely rusted in and frozen up. A new cam bolt was about $10 and the bushing was $50... I had no choice so:

And $15 to get the bushing pressed in and here's the LCA ready to go in:

Here's a pic of what everything looked like when I got there:

And with my $39 new lower ball joint on:

Upper ball joint out ready for the spacer:

And everything basically done on the drivers side including the BJ spacer:

I'll be back at it around 9 AM in the morning hopefully finishing by tomorrow night. ;)

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
A few progress pics and a 99% done pic...

I still have to sort the alignment out and adjust the tbars down a little so it will flex some. Right now the cv angles are sick. Next week I'll drop the bars about an inch and probably change out the 4" block for a 2" block and then either do a rough alignment so I can drive it to the shop for a real one or I'll have it towed there.

Those pics do NOT do the truck justice... It is HUGE!. ;)

21 - 40 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.